The dead horse needs another beating; Glock Carbine

This is a discussion on The dead horse needs another beating; Glock Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Based on the title of this thread I'll help you out:...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dead horse needs another beating; Glock Carbine

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar

Beating a Dead Horse

Based on the title of this thread I'll help you out:

2. Remove Ads

Personal Carbine Cat?
    Pretty Cool Carbine?
    Powerfull Crushing Carbine?

pcc?

edit: Politically Correct Carbine!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Personal Carbine Cat?
    Pretty Cool Carbine?
    Powerfull Crushing Carbine?

pcc?
    Pistol Caliber Carbine
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Pistol Caliber Carbine
    Schweeeeeeeeet! I want the Storm.
    But I would go for a glock PCC in .40 and a baby glock in .40.

Administrator
    It makes a lot of sense, doesnt it? Gaston, are you out there in cyber land?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It makes a lot of sense, doesnt it? Gaston, are you out there in cyber land?
    From your lips to GG's ears.

What do you want to bet inside of two years we see the Glock PCC.

It just makes too much sense.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I already have a Storm in 9mm, but I'd be a player for a PCC Glock in .45 to go with my G21. Mags should interchange, of course.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I already have a Storm in 9mm, but I'd be a player for a PCC Glock in .45 to go with my G21. Mags should interchange, of course.
    One of my best friends in the world is VERY (or was) ANTI Glock...recently he bought a Kriss Super V..45 carbine for HD, then bought a G21 SF simply because it took G21 mags. Now he has an HD PCC and a G21 simply because they take the same mags and is practical. Thats the kind of thing that would make demand. GASTON WAKE UP!!!
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OK, my noodle had some electric impulse the other day, and now I want to know why Glock has not built a PCC.

Think about this for a minute; Glock holds the majority of LE contracts by a wide margin. They also enjoy the best sales numbers in the general market as well. That is slipping some what, but they could save it if they wanted too.

Ammo costs have sky rocketed, and a lot of people are looking for lower cost carbine/rifle options for HD or patrol functions. Lets be honest, most of use dont really need a 223 or 308 for HD. A PCC would be just fine.

So, an answer to those problems would be to build a carbine. Beretta did it, they have been very successful with their storm. They havent been able to build them fast enough. Ruger was doing it with their PC9/4, however they missed the mark due to them not pushing and updating their compatable pistols. KelTec has tried to fill the gap, but it was a half hearted try and it shows in the quality and design.

Glock has the perfect backround to build a carbine that would boost sales of their pistols. Even if built in limited numbers, they would shake the industry and have a death grip on the personal defense market.

So why Gaston? Why are you such a stubborn old fart?
    Oh man SIXTO! You have opened my personal flood gates on this one!

I agree 100%! Glock needs to design and build a PCC. Heck, they should have done this years ago. We should be on the third generation of the darn thing by now!

Why is Gaston a stubborn old fart? Very good question! You pointed out, rightly, that Glock is losing some market share. This has been going on for a few years. The main reason I think is because, Glocks do not fit everyone's hands. And they can not be fitted to a wide spectrum of hand sizes. But, the S&W M&P, the Ruger SR9, the XDm, the H&K's, the Walthers, the Beretta's, the FNH's and so many others all can be fitted to differing hand sizes! But not the Glock! What you see is what you are stuck with!

The last real significant design change in the Glock pistols was the SF models, all 2 of them. And I have heard numerous reports of problem with them, specifically the mag release, but others as well.

Heck, Gaston even fought the addition of the finger grooves on the third generation. (personally I do not like them) I have spoken to a couple of people who actually have met Gaston. All say he is a pig headed jackass. What a surprise.

Now the 4th generation comes out and what is the big design change? Apparently the addition of fish gills where the slide serrations used to be. It's ugly and from the looks of it, less functional than the real slide serrations on my 3rd Gen G23.

Honestly, I doubt that the Glock design will get any real redesign or improvement until Gaston either retires or dies. But, jackasses work longer than most and live longer than most so don't hold your breath for a better pistol or a PCC any time soon.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I can only speculate that Glock wants to stick with what they do best, pistols. Thats why all their guns are of the same design. I think it gives them a level of credibility that they only make one thing; combat pistols. No foo foo junk, just solid reliable pistols. Its hard to argue with that line of thinking, they have been very successful.
    Remember Glock's very first product was an Entrenchment Tool produced under contract for the Austrian Army, so they can move into new areas, albeit slowly. :)

I love the idea, and would buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd stand in line!

Cool idea - I think a PCC would be good for a vehicle / fixed-post (for the untrained) HD gun, ESPECIALLY if the mags were interchangeable with those of my (future) EDC handgun!

SIXTO - Out of curiosity, supposing the Kel-Tec you mentioned is the SUB-
    2000, what is wrong with it, more specifically?

United93

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Now the 4th generation comes out and what is the big design change? Apparently the addition of fish gills where the slide serrations used to be. It's ugly and from the looks of it, less functional than the real slide serrations on my 3rd Gen G23.
    Actually, the RTF G22's (I've handled a few, haven't had a chance to shoot one yet) are very, very functional.

Those fish-gill cocking serrations really give good traction when cocking the slide; when you think about it, they pretty much mimic the pattern of tractor-tire lugs...which grip quite well in mud & muck.

Now, that cat's tongue texture on the frame itself...that, I wouldn't want to put a couple hundred rounds through in a day without gloves...

But, to stay on topic--if Glock came out with a PCC, I'd definitely be interested. Supposedly, there was a Glock longarm in the works a couple years ago, but nothing's been heard of it since...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post

SIXTO - Out of curiosity, supposing the Kel-Tec you mentioned is the SUB-
    2000, what is wrong with it, more specifically?

United93
    Its a good play gun, but it is a bit flimsy for a combat carbine. I'd like to see something a little more sturdy and robust.

With all that said, I still wouldnt mind having one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I would like to see a 10mm PCC from Glock. I would also like to see Glock do something, in concept, like HK's Mark 23 in 10mm, perhaps with a 10" barrel. These would be, of course, two different animals, for two different roles. I can actually qual with a personally owned pistol-caliber mega-pistol, as a "backup" weapon, but my chief does not allow PCCs. (He does, thankfully, let us carry certain .223 carbines, but rules on deploying them are fairly limiting.)
    Last edited by Rexster; April 9th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks SIXTO. I'm considering one that will take G19 mags (useful feature, IMO).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links