My .22 Rifle Quest Continues....

This is a discussion on My .22 Rifle Quest Continues.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After dropping $1100 in Lowes on materials to close in the horse barn I stopped into my buddies shop. I see he has some new ...

Thread: My .22 Rifle Quest Continues....

After dropping $1100 in Lowes on materials to close in the horse barn I stopped into my buddies shop.

I see he has some new rifles on the shelf and I spot a Ruger 10/22 in a color Ive never seen before. So I head behind the counter to check the tag and it says:

Type: Ruger 10/22
    Condition: Poor
    Available: 4/10

I see the color is not a new color but the stock has been sanded down to the wood. No sealer or anything. Its smooth but needs to be stained and sealed IMO.

It looks clean and I ask why the poor condition and my buddy says its because of the sanded stock. I ask why I havent seen the gun before and he says because he just bought it 6 days ago (I go into the vault quite a bit so I see whats on pawn and when its coming out)

The gun wasnt pawned but he bought it and he has to wait 7 days before selling it. So I ask how much and he says $100 out the door for me.

Ill pick it up tomorrow and get some pics. That makes (3) .22's Ive bought in as many weeks or so.

Marlin 60 = $100 OTD
    Remington 597 = $100 OTD
    Ruger 10/22 = $100 OTD

Next up is a Savage Mark II thats coming out in a few weeks. Ive already been told I can have that for $80 out the door.

Am I making wise purchases? I mean as in some decent deals?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You'll love the Savage. Sounds like you are getting some alright deals. I haven't seen much better.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    YES sir, you are. Carry on!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Those all sound like pretty good deals to me, there are plenty of atermarket stocks for the 10/22 if its too screwed up too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    thats a good deal on a ruger hope you like it. plus there are a lot of after market parts to put on it if you want to like a new stock
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Administrator
    I would have bought the 10/22 too. All you want is the receiver and maybe the trigger group. Slap on a middle of the road aftermarket barrel and you will have a tack driver well below the 2 bill mark.

10/22's are a lot of fun and easy to build.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great buys I think! You will love the savage when you get it.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

That's a really good price for the 10/22. Tons of options and accessories for them so if the barrel and action looked good that's an excellent price.

So I picked it up the Ruger today and tried to date it. The serials at the Ruger site only go up to 2007. My serial is higher that that with a 351 prefix. I am assuming its newer than than 2007.

Any ideas on other sources for dating info?

Its a pretty sweet deal at $100. The sanded stock is actually pretty cool.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Any ideas on other sources for dating info?
    Does it have a pot metal housing on the trigger group or plastic? They started using plastic in their trigger housing within the last 2 years. (or less?)

Its plastic. The preface of the serial is 351 and that has to be very new. I shot about 200 rounds through it this weekend. Nary a hicup so Im liking that. Ive got to get a new mag for the Remy cause its jam city and no fix Ive tried has helped. Its certainly the mag.

But yeah the 10/22 was a good buy and its fun to shoot.

I gotta get on buying the scopes.
    New tunes added.

I've seen Marlin Mdl 60's go for $50,(they were in pretty poor shape) but I have not seen a 10/22 go for $100. If I did, it'd be mine real quick. That is a great deal.

Congrats on those new rimfires.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

How in the world do you guys find these great firearm deals at the pawn shops? The pawn shops around here might have a couple of old rusty things that don't even look like they will shoot.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

great buy. i wish i could find one at this price.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    How in the world do you guys find these great firearm deals at the pawn shops? The pawn shops around here might have a couple of old rusty things that don't even look like they will shoot.
    I think it is because I have become friends with the owner. Plus, you have to know what youre talking about when in there.

If you know WalMart is selling the Remy 597 for $177, you're not gonna pay $150 for it used in a Pawn Shop.

I told him Id give him $100 OTD and it was sold. He is making money on it. You know Pawn Shop owners are not paying top dollar for the stuff that comes in there. They know hey have to make money and they know they cant get too close to new prices or you'll buy elsewhere new.

Call me lucky, Im gonna get the Savage for $80 OTD. It has a scope on it too.

Im looking at a few other things there too. I may buy a new Charter Arms 38 revolver there. $350 + tax on that.
    New tunes added.

Sponsored Links