Help me choose a shotgun

This is a discussion on Help me choose a shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get a Maverick 88. It's your biggest bang for your buck....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a shotgun

Get a Maverick 88. It's your biggest bang for your buck.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I am an 870 man.
    +1 on the 870.

I have several including a Marine Magnum. They're reliable, solid and lots of "accessories" are available for them.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I am a Mossberg 500 man myself. The combo set with two barrels will do most everything you could want to do.

I've owned many and still do own some. I have had Remington 870 too, but the safety is in the wrong place on those.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    870 combo. You can shoot skeet with a shorter barrel, but they just dont swing right and you will be handicapping yourself, but thats the only way to fly for HD.
    You can purchase an extra barrel pretty darn cheap and have the best of both worlds.
    I agree.

There is a wide variety of accessories available for the 870, probably more than any other shotgun out there. The reason for that is, they are very popular. They are popular for a reason.

I just put a "Tactical" Model 870 with a Pistol Grip, Compensator and Extended Magazine Tube on "Lay-Away" today. Look out 3-Gun Matches, here I come.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    First off I'm definitely new to shotguns. I shot one a while back for the first time in many moons, having fun shooting skeet with my family. I'd like to get one primarily as a home defense weapon, but I also would mind being able to use it for recreation purposes every now and again. I want a 12ga, but I don't know anything outside of that. What is the practical difference in barrel lengths? What is a good ammunition for defense purposes? I've been told brands like Charles Daly, Mossberg 500, and Remington 870, but don't really know any specifics. I'd also like to stay around $300, give or take. Can anyone make any suggestion?

Eric

I'm also looking to beef up my home defense with a shotgun. Just like you, I am looking to stay around $300. I've talked to a lot of people (both in person and on other forums), and everyone said I should get either the 870, or the 500. Of course, everybody had their preference of the two--but they all agreed either would work fine for home defense.

Fortunately, you can find either one for around $300 (new, in box). Sites like gunbroker.com have several of each currently for sale. You can also pick up both in pawn shops for under $250.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)

BTW--You can tell from my signature line where I'm leaning on the choice!
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)

HD Shotgun

I to am new to the shotgun experience and am looking for a good HD weapon, after much research and forum reading I have set my sights on a Benelli SNT with collapsible pistol grip/stock. unfortunately the only place I have seen this grip is in Israel has anyone seen one here in the states

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links