Not So Evil Black Rifle

This is a discussion on Not So Evil Black Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was in the pawn shop yesterday and heard something calling my name. I didn't have a 30-06 to round out my collection, so I picked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not So Evil Black Rifle

Not So Evil Black Rifle

Was in the pawn shop yesterday and heard something calling my name. I didn't have a 30-06 to round out my collection, so I picked up this used (and absolutely filthy) Savage 110. (clean now though after some time with the all purpose brush, patches, rags and CLP )

Whoever had it must have kept it in their wood working shed or something, because it had a cake of dust covering it that was unbelievable. There were a couple of spots on the barrel where it looked like someone had steel wooled some rust and about 4" of bluing was almost gone. No pitting though. It was just ahead of the stock on the barrel, on the side facing the camera in the picture. The blueing was also worn pretty bad within about 1/2" of the muzzle, but the barrel crown is flawless. Some cleaning and few doses of Van's Instant Blue and now it looks almost like new, except a few scratches on the stock. (Van's is a great product for touch up blueing BTW)

The bore is in nice shape suprisingly, (checked it 1st before purchase) with nice sharp rifling, bolt locks up nice and tight and I got it for $279. The scope is a cheapy Simmons that I will likely upgrade later, but the mounts are good. The sling is ok and will suffice for long walks in the deer woods. Where I am sure it has been before, because there was actually a substantial amount of deer hair inside the stock under the barrel...???? (strange I know, but true none the less. I couldn't have made something like that up for God's sake.)

I had plans to purchase a new base model Stevens 200. The best price I could get around here was in the $350 range OR by the time I added shipping and transfer fees from gunbroker a $299 rifle would have been about $350, so I got a used one with all the extras (if you count the cheap scope) for a pretty decent price I guess. If it is as good a shooter as my other Savage, then I'll put a Nikon on it this summer and it'll be a nice hunting rifle.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 12th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking rifle you have there! And a great deal!

Those of us who understand these things know that your rifle is every bit as evil as a AR or AK. Which is to say, not evil at all....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Nice lookin rifle, seems like a pretty good deal. Of course due to the fact that it has a black stock instead of wood, it is one of those much feared sniper rifles.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Nice lookin rifle, seems like a pretty good deal. Of course due to the fact that it has a black stock instead of wood, it is one of those much feared sniper rifles.
    Yeah, my Savage Model 11 in .308 has a wood stock, so it's not evil.

Oh yeah, I should add, a big thanks to my wife who gave me an "allowance" from our (her) income tax refund. I tried to put it to good use.

Congrats on the new gun - great deal! Those Savage rifles have a tendancy to be really nice for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Congrats on the new gun - great deal! Those Savage rifles have a tendancy to be really nice for the money.
    Thanks. I'm a pretty big Savage fan I guess. I bought my .308, several years ago, (pre-accutrigger like this one)and it will shoot sub MOA groups with factory made ammo. If this one is half as good, I'll be happy. Looking forward to some handloading for it too.

Well the way things are going...

Thats labeled a black rifle too

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Of course due to the fact that it has a black stock instead of wood, it is one of those much feared sniper rifles.
    Yep, you nailed it (in the anti's eyes.)

But that is a really pretty rifle, and a great price too.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    You picked up a great rifle at a nice price. Congratulations.

Update on this rifle

Well I finally got out to the range a couple of weeks back with my pawn shop special.

My wife and kid have lost the digital camera, so sorry for the quality of these cell phone pics, but they get the point across.

I went to the range and set up on the shooting bench with a couple of sandbags. I had loaded some handloads using mixed brass, Winchester Primers, Sierra 165gr BTHP Gameking bullets, and various charges of Reloader 15 powder.

I knew that my Savage .308 really likes bullets in the 165-168 weight range, so I was hoping this one would too.

The conditions were cool, overcast, and windy, with a 10-15mph wind coming from left to right, but there is a high berm around the range that seemed to help block the effect of the wind pretty much. All shots were at 100yds.

My first test load was 46 gr of RL-15 and the 5 shot group was not too impressive at just under 2 1/2". (there are 5 holes in the bottom group but one is hard to see because it's in the black square) The next five shot group was loaded with 47gr of powder. Shot on the same target with similar results to the first, but a bit higher.

By this time I was not very impressed, but the next five shot group, loaded with 48gr of powder, changed my mind, with the exception of one shot that I pulled right and called,(my fault, not the rifle) the other four shots were .915" with three touching.

I was out of grid targets at that point and fired the last rounds I had. They were loaded with 48.5gr of powder and the group was not as tight as with the 48gr load, but due to the fact that the target did not really have a pinpoint aiming spot,(it was a ring target) it cannot really be compared, so I won't post a pic of it.

Seems like she's gonna be a keeper, and I'm gonna stick with the 48gr load, which should theoretically yield a velocity of 2731fps according to my calculations. Next time out I'll adjust the scope to shoot this load centered and 3" high. This should give me a MPBR (+/- 4") of somewhere close to 300yds I believe. I also need to let the barrel completely cool and clean it between shots next time. That way I can get her set for a cold barrel shot in the deer woods.
    Last edited by sgtD; May 28th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Nice rifle and a good deal.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    That is one beautiful rifle, I've been looking at getting a Savage or Howa bolt action rifle in 308 or 30 06. I'm jealous!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Nice find.

I have a Savage 110 in .270 that came from a pawnshop. With a Bushnell scope that shoots 1MOA goups with Remington CoreLokt. Congrats on the find.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    a substantial amount of deer hair inside the stock under the barrel...????
    With ammo prices these days, many hunters are resorting to the Neanderthal style "beat the deer with a club" hunting. It is normal to get hair up there when wielded effectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links