Information about AR weapons

This is a discussion on Information about AR weapons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do any of our esteemed members have a site where a person like myself and my wife could read up on the essential basics about ...

Thread: Information about AR weapons

Information about AR weapons

Do any of our esteemed members have a site where a person like myself and my wife could read up on the essential basics about AR weapons. We are interested in making a purchase, but we know that we don't know enough yet to make an educated purchase. We need a through introductory primer on the weapons themselves, and all the different add ons that one needs for one of these type of rifles. I have had the Rock River ARs highly recommended, but don't even know enough to know if this is a good recommendation. Thanks for the time.
    gabe

2. Remove Ads

AR15.com is a good start
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Order the Magpul Dynamics DVD, from Magpul or from Brownells. It is really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    AR15.com is a good start
    +1
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I'd recommend buying Noveske, Colt or LMT. There are other great rifles but these are top quality. I have an LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD) and I love it. If you plan on adding an optic in the future, I'd recommend purchasing one without a carry handle (or a removable one) so you can have proper cheek placement on your stock. Besides that, the rifles mentioned are very reliable for anything you want to use it for. Plus, you can customize it to your liking or keep it simple.

My rifle is intended for home defense mainly but I've used it for competitions, hunting varmits and recreational shooting with friends.

AR15.com and M4carbine.net are great places to start for rifle info.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    I'd recommend buying Noveske, Colt or LMT. There are other great rifles but these are top quality. I have an LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD) and I love it. If you plan on adding an optic in the future, I'd recommend purchasing one without a carry handle (or a removable one) so you can have proper cheek placement on your stock. Besides that, the rifles mentioned are very reliable for anything you want to use it for. Plus, you can customize it to your liking or keep it simple.

AR15.com and M4carbine.net are great places to start for rifle info.
    +1 on everything he said. I've got a Rock River on order, but that's only because the Colt and LMT are too rich for my blood. If I had the money I'd go Colt. I'll probably eventually buy at least the colt bolt and bolt carrier for my RRA.

Trust me....this is a good read for the beginner on AR-15 rifle selection even if the article was written for law-enforcement.
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

m4carbine.net is another good site

Austin

RRA, S&W, Bushmaster, CMMG, and Sabre are all great

Imo, if you are going to spend enough money to go for an LMT, Colt, Noveske, etc., I would just go ahead, spend the time on research, and build your own AR with the choice parts you want.
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

thanks for sending this out

Ram Rod, thanks for putting this out for us. It is a wealth of information to work on, thanks again.
    gabe

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Trust me....this is a good read for the beginner on AR-15 rifle selection even if the article was written for law-enforcement.
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    +1 for building. I'm almost done piecing together my first AR from LMT and Bravo Company parts... it should come in just under a grand and have all the parts and pieces I wanted. It'll also be good quality (mostly mil-spec) and will wind up being my go to gun once I've had the time and ammo to break it in...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    1st recommendationl; don't build your first one unless you're really into projects like that and are pretty good at it. Better to buy one and a good one.

2nd recommendation; like any other type of weapon you have your high, middle, and low end versions. I'm retired military and really believe for the average civilian you don't need the high end. Having said that, if you have the funds and appreciate the finer points of high end quality, then go for it. But if you're on a budget you can find some really good guns that are only a notch below some of the high ends but at considerably better prices. Many of the distinctions are things we wouldn't notice for the way we use our weapons. Now if we're walking around in the sand box then it's a different story. So don't feel like you have to get the high end or you can't get good. A good value weapon in my opinion is the Stag Arm weapons. I'd recommend you get a flat top. handles have a certain nastalgic look to them but you only need that handle when hauling a buddy (i.e., one handed carrying of your weapon). there's a reason why you don't see any of the guy's in Iraq with handles. A stag arms model 2 gives you a flip up rear and a good standard front post sight. Then add a optic if you'd like and it's all good. Just be sure to check that your gas key is properly staked. Read the links above and you'll know what that means.

Then decide if you're setting this up for a long range rifle type get up or if you're looking for shorter range; close quarters type. If long then get a good 20" on the barrel, considre a scope and enjoy. If close, get 16" with adjustable stock and use a red dot type optic. The two standards are the Aimpoint reddot or the Eotech. They're epensive (I paid $400 for the Eotech) but they're fantastic.

Be willing to buy a decent optic because it's awfully important. But don't hesitate to put a cheap optic on until you can save up for what you really want.

I also think CMMG is a good value and there are others.

At some point you may decide you want to mount a light on your weapon and a front vertical grip. I you do you'll see how you can add a front quad rail and all that and that can run ALOT of money. But there is a less expensive/quality option and that's to mound a single raile to the bottom of the standard forearm and there are some simple angle bracket and a surefire light holder I can show you that enables you to put a light on that's quality and solid but way less than half of what you'd pay for a quad rail setup.

you really can't go wrong with any of the major brand names and it won't take you long to figure out what those are just by reading alot.

i suspect it might be getting a little easier to find these. I've noticed locally that they aren't "flying" off the shelves like they were a few months ago although availability is still really limited and prices are still really high.

Final recommendation. Get the best you can afford because it's likely the only one of these you'll get.

Links