It's like finding the prize Easter Egg!

This is a discussion on It's like finding the prize Easter Egg! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a Marlin 336C yesterday. Had been wanting something in a Medium power lever action for some time. Have a lot of Bolts and Semi's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's like finding the prize Easter Egg!

It's like finding the prize Easter Egg!

Bought a Marlin 336C yesterday. Had been wanting something in a Medium power lever action for some time. Have a lot of Bolts and Semi's and only one lever action (a Henry Golden boy in .22) so I made up my mind I wanted the Walnut stock and finish of the C and went by the local gun shop to make the final selection. Price as pretty decent on them so had a choice between .35 and 30-30 for same price ($450) NIB. I decided to get the softer shooting more classic 30-30 after much deliberation.

So I ask them to get me one in an unopened box from the back after examining the floor examples. And go about buying it and take it home without examining it. I get home and I am sort of searching around for scope mounting options and scope advice. Find some stuff at Midway for mounting and move it into the shopping cart. Looking around at scopes at this point. And decide to take a break and open the box.

Low and behold there is a Weaver scope mounting bracket in the box with all the screws. And then I start looking closer and there is a Scope in there as well hidden under the barrel end box tab. Now... mind you it is a cheapo no name chinese thing but looks fairly decent and clear. Has rings already on it.

This is all in a normal Marlin box with no markings indicating it is a "package deal" gun. And I have yet to see a package deal on a "C' model yet. I see them on "W's" and "A's" but not seen one on a C. And the dealer did not have a scope on them in the display and didn't mention a scope. Couldn't even tell there was a scope in the box at first glance. And there is no markings on the box indicating a Scope came with it.

Probably not a scope to keep for a long time but at least the mounting stuff is good and, who knows, it might be a decent enough scope for a little use.

Here are some of the box markings....

2. Remove Ads

The perfect choice, IMO...I have the exact same rifle in stainless.
    Knowing the effectiveness of the 30-30 round for hunting and SHTF scenarios to cover one's yard, I opted for a fiber optic front sight instead of a scope...

Stay armed...you are...stay safe!

Don't forget to stock up on ammo...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Speaking of Ammo.... same box of Winchester Soft points in 30-30 at gun shop $22 and at Walmart $15.... limit two boxes of 20 rounds, no Value packs in stock. Going to have to go back a few times to get enough and hope they have a Value pack of two along the way.

Have you tried any of that Revolution (or something like that) that Hornady makes?

Nice find Phil a good lever gun is always nice to have and will be easier to find ammo for should SHTF. By the way my snubby is at home in the holster I got ( stole ) from you Thanks Again
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Oh yea! Hey Frosty. The early Rhome Desbian PDC holster! LOL...

Did you hear its other brother, the G27 one, burned up in a car fire? With the gun. Rhome made those two together. Both Black pancakes they were.

I used to have one,I shot many deer with it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That is a beautiful rifle!

Good choice.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Moderator
    Very nice, I would go with the 30-30 myself.

I have some .357 mag LeveRevolution ammo haven't shot it yet so I can't report on it.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Didnt hear that one BUMMER!!!! I have been trying to get Rhome to make me a holster for my Micro Compact for a year now but he didnt have the right mold so I finally got a HBE Com 3 for it and it also is a piece of work very comfy for all day wear.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

He made me one for my latest EDC, a Colt Defender that is really nice.

This Marlin does have some nice wood on it. I mounted the scope this evening and will hopefully get a nice picture up tomorrow. Was mounting two guns up today and didn't get to bore site either one when I ran out of time.

Was also refitting the M1A SOCOM 16 back into its original Black stock, putting a Bushnell scope and a small underneath rail to attach the Streamlight TLR2 onto. That heavy hitter came out superb. Going to show you that set up too.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    you shouldn't be disappointed by the 30/30. Actually, from all the charts (and comparisons of a couple of my buddies' guns), the 30/30 is at least on par, if not superior ballistically to the .35.

I have shot quite a few different varieties of rounds in my old 336 and have found that plain old core lokt 150 grain rounds are the most consistant.

Great guns. Everyone should have at least one lever gun, regardless of caliber.

surv

Congrats on the new Marlin. It's the best lever action 30-30 there is in my opinion. I have Winchesters, but the Marlin is just built better as far as I'm concerned.

I have been shooting and relaoding for mine a lot in the past year. I just ate some venison on Easter Sunday that was provided via my Marlin 30-30 in January of this year. I still had open sights on it then, but have since put on a scope. My Winchester remains with open sights, so I can choose which one to use depending on the circumstances. The cheaper scope may be just fine as long as the optics are clear and bright, since the 30-30 doesn't really have enough recoil to hammer a scope to death.

If you do change it out, I'd recommend a fixed 4 power or even a 2.5 power with a 30mm reticle. It's lighter, slimmer, and balances the gun better IMO than a big ole 40mm. I put a Trashco World Class 30mm 2.5-4 on mine, but only becuase it was a display model and I got it at about 1/2 price. It is a good scope for what I will use it for; shots under 200 yds, most likely 150yds and under realistically. I still would rather have a fixed 4x Leupold or Nikon though. Maybe someday when I get a job. :-) Cabelas also makes a lever action rifle scope with a balistically calculated reticle with drop compensation for the Harnady ammo that might be worth looking into. It seems to get good reviews from users on the Cabelas website.

I have loaded some of the Leverevolution type bullets and my rifle shoots them good, but I have not used any of the factory loads. Frankly, my Remington Corelokt handloads are just as accurate. I don't think there would be a difference in performance on game until you get past 200yds, which is pushing it for the ole 30-30 IMO. (theoretically the retained speed/energy of the pointed bullet would be higher and there would be less drop). In theory you could get an extra 50 yds with a 20" barrel and the faster Hornady factory loads. I have only shot the handloads at 100 yds at the range, so I can't say. To take full advantage of the advertised 2400 fps, 300 yd capability of the new loads, you have to have a 24" barreled model.

If I'm planning on that long a shot, I'll be using my .308 anyway, so I will probably just stick with the ole standby Corelokt 150gr in my handloads. After seeing the terminal performance and golf ball sized exit wound caused by the Corelokt loads firsthand, I don't know why one would need anything else.

Wal-Mart sells Federal 30-30 ammo loaded with soft points for $11.97 per box. They shoot good for factory ammo, more accurate than factory Corelokt loads in my rifle, but I have not used them on game. I shot some of the Winchesters a few weeks back, but they were some old ones I had lying around and I don't really remember how they grouped. Try 'em all and see what she likes best.

Enjoy your new rifle.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Got these two guns ready to Laser bore sight up this evening...

I can say you certainly WOULDN"T want any bigger scope on this thing and smaller would always be a bit better. Smaller in size certainly. Now... it does balance alright with this thing on there. And the eye relief is plenty long enough to be safe and still focus your eyes fine.

A really good looking and practical rifle!
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Looks nice with the low profile mount. Hurry up and get us a range report. :-)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links