Question About Carry Handle Mount

This is a discussion on Question About Carry Handle Mount within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a DPMS w/ a fixed carry handle. I cannot afford a new upper w/ a flat top. So I have been looking for ...

Thread: Question About Carry Handle Mount

Question About Carry Handle Mount

I have a DPMS w/ a fixed carry handle. I cannot afford a new upper w/ a flat top. So I have been looking for a few different sights to throw on a carry handle mount. I settled on a Barska Illuminated Red Dot Sight. I got it at Gander Mountain for $69. The carry handle mount that they had was too long for my handle. So I still need to get one.

Here is my dilemma. No matter what kind of mount I get, the iron sights will be blocked. So I thought about mounting a rail to the handguard and maybe co-witnessing through the iron sights. But the front sight seems to sit really high in the window.

Is there a carry handle mount out there that still allows you to use your iron sights? I really don't want to lose the use of the iron sights in case of a dead battery. I've heard of a quick release attachment for the optics, but I don't know how secure they would be.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

AR-15 M4 CARRY HANDLE MOUNT at Brownells

I found this...but as I said in the earlier post, I think that the front sight would sit too high in the window. Anyone use one of these?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

As far as the height of the iron sights in your red dot, it depends what kind of mount you have on the red dot. Most optics need some sort of riser or taller mount to cowitness with the tall sights on a rifle like the AR, particularly if you want a lower 1/3 cowitness.

This one puts the optic up on top of everything.
    "SECOND SIGHT" SEE-THRU BASES at Brownells
    The problem is you wont have a cheek weld when using the optic. If you get one of those cheek pieces to use the optic, you will probably have trouble getting your eye down to iron sights.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    This one puts the optic up on top of everything.
    "SECOND SIGHT" SEE-THRU BASES at Brownells
    The problem is you wont have a cheek weld when using the optic. If you get one of those cheek pieces to use the optic, you will probably have trouble getting your eye down to iron sights.
    I cannot believe that I was just on the Brownell's website and didn't see this. Now I don't know which one to get. I guess that I will wait for some more feedback if any of the members have experience with either of these mounts.

Thank you.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I got my AR all ready to go to the range tomorrow morning when I get off from work. I would like to sight in the Barska Red Dot. But I have read some mixed reviews on it. Some say it keeps zero and others say it does not.

I'm wondering if I should save my ammo, return the barska and get an Eotech like I have at work. I really don't have the cash for an Eotech. Maybe I'll sell one of my handguns.

Anybody out there use a Barska red dot? Opinions?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Save or sell and get a quality optic. You have a high quality DPMS dont put a 69 buck optic on it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Save or sell and get a quality optic. You have a high quality DPMS dont put a 69 buck optic on it.
    Yeah, I'm gonna return it. Once I sell my Glock 30 I'll get the Eotech.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Links