Lever Action Rifle for Home Defense - Page 3

Lever Action Rifle for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Lever Action Rifle for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The one problem I have with the modern Lever Actions from Marlin and Winchester are the terrible lawyer safeties on the side. They are death ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lever Action Rifle for Home Defense

The one problem I have with the modern Lever Actions from Marlin and Winchester are the terrible lawyer safeties on the side. They are death traps for a home protection long arm. So I would either buy used ones that dont have these or buy a pin that relaces and de-activates these safeties.

The lever action is simplicty personified, work the lever and pull the trigger, repeat as needed. With the side safety, it can easily be engaged and you not know it. The lever disconects and hammer half cock safeties work well, get rid of the side safety.

Any of the 30-30 hunting loads (125gr-150gr-170gr expanding bullets) will put a stop to any gun fight quickly.

The 44 mag would be my next choice, any expanding bullet @ 1800 + FPS will also work well.

The .357 will work great as well but I would be carefull of the lighter bullets. I would shoot some animals to see if they give you deep enough penetration. I have found the 158 gr hollow points tend to come apart when I have shot deer with them. The .357 with hollow points is my favorite for around the house varmit control. The bullets come apart and dont ricochet.

The added benefit of having common handgun and carbine ammo has been recognised for a long time.

Good luck and hope you never need a defensive weapon and just have fun getting good with them.

I keep a packetized Marlin with a plastic stock in the motorhome and a pre 64 Winchester here at the house. If you’re going to get a lever action rifle you might as well get a rifle cartridge. While a 30-30 is a marginal cartridge for larger North American critters, is one heck of a self defense weapon.

30-30 puts you in the same league as 7.62 Russian and we know how effect on car doors,windshields and general mid-range shooting that round is. A lever-action in that caliber would by very effective as an HD weapon. A Marlin with a Big Dot sight would do the trick nicely IMHO! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I have a 30-30 (Sears Model 54 made by winchester) and may add either a Marlin 1894c .357 magnum or a Rossi/Puma .357 magnum. does anyone have any opinions about the Rossi, other than it not being American made?

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf1956 View Post
    jwhite75 ... can you post that info if possible, or provide a link to it if it is available online? I would be very interested in reading it. Thanks!

-Seawolf
    not what he was talking about but the box of truth did some test on shotguns and they tended to out penetrate most riffle rounds including on bulletproof glass

VS. sheetrock
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

bullet resistant glass
    The Box O' Truth #6 - Ballistic Resistant Glass Gets tested - Page 1

homepage
    The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    The one problem I have with the modern Lever Actions from Marlin and Winchester are the terrible lawyer safeties on the side. They are death traps for a home protection long arm. So I would either buy used ones that dont have these or buy a pin that relaces and de-activates these safeties.
    Marlins have an adjustment screw that bears against the crossbolt safety, and can be adjusted to it stays off-safe. Alternately, the correct size of E-clip can be placed into the groove around the head of the safety, to keep it in the off-safe position. I have done neither to my Marlins yet, but when they assume a defensive role, I will consider these options.

Lever Action for Home Defence

A lever action carbine would be very good for defence. I would recommend staying with a pistol caliber though. 30-30 would over-penetrate something fierce. An 18 inch barrel on a carbine would be much easier to shoot accurately for an non-sport shooter compared to most handguns.
    But, at crunch time, shoot what ya got.
    I'm saying, if you don't yet have a gun, for home defence my first choice is a short pump shotgun followed by a short carbine. I have handguns and can shoot 'em and I carry one nearly every day. But you need to decide what you need from a gun before shopping.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    Old Guy Still Shooting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links