Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision.

This is a discussion on Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you haven't purchased a rifle yet, I'd also recommend the WASR 10 with a folding stock, the one I have is accurate (3" groups ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision.

If you haven't purchased a rifle yet, I'd also recommend the WASR 10 with a folding stock, the one I have is accurate (3" groups @ 200yds), goes bang all the time, folds down to a smaller size for storage and carrying. I used both the M-16A1 (AR 15) and AK-47 for 25 years, for dependability and accuracy I'd go for the AK, JMHO. Yesterday when I went to buy some ammo, the 7.62x.39 was the only ammo I could find that was on the shelf...and I could only find it at WW!

The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Rob72 has a good point about "off" caliber cartridges, though lately, .223/5.56 is increasingly available, just expensive.

I have noted that .270 Winchester is very much available, as is good old .30-06. The only .308 Winchester available is fairly low quantities of premium hunting ammo, and some small amounts of milsurp at prices that surely don't seem milsurp.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I am looking for a semi-auto rifle for under $1000. I know I cant touch an AR for that , but I have done some research and found a plethera of options that are with in my budget.

CETME 308
    Romanian AK
    SKS (Not all that interresting)
    Mini-14
    Century Arms FAL
    Hungarian AK47 AKM
    US M1 30 Carbine National Ordnance

What is the best option?
    Ishmash Saiga 7.62/.223/.308 goes for less than 500... it should be on your list if you want a good gun for a great price.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I am looking for a semi-auto rifle for under $1000. I know I cant touch an AR for that , but I have done some research and found a plethera of options that are with in my budget.

CETME 308
    Romanian AK
    Mini-14
    Century Arms FAL
    Hungarian AK47 AKM

What is the best option?
    From this list, I have, or had all of them except the listed AK's. My AK is the Polish underfolder.

If I had to choose just one it would be the following one.....

Powerful enough to do the job
    Good long range
    Accurate enough for a man size target out to 300 meters
    One of the most reliable rifles ever built

This is one I built from a matching STg58 kit. But I have had 2 Century builds FALs and both were great guns.

The FAL's were adapted by over 90 nations for thier Armies. What better endorsement can you get then that....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

CETME 308-
    Can be great or a problem child. You need to know about bolt gap, ground bolts, in/out of spec receivers, barrel repress, Mil brass and Century Monkeys before buying. Great for WECSOG types (which I am).

Century Arms FAL-
    Can be great rifles but IIRC Century used a couple of different receivers on these. Do your research on receivers, unibrow feed ramps, metric/inch and Century Monkeys first.

US M1 30 Carbine National Ordnance-
    Haven't messed with these but Nat'l Ord. has a reputation for some junk receivers that Mil parts were built on, so do your homework first.

I think my first choice might be a mid price AR15.

Go here-
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/index.php
    check out the BattleRifles forums and ask the same question, you will get plenty of good info.

CETME 308
    Romanian AK
    Mini-14
    Century Arms FAL
    Hungarian AK47 AKM

What is the best option?
    With a little careful shopping you can get an AR for $1,000 or a little less.

I think Rock Rivers Entry Tacticals are going for about $950 New at a local shop.

Also, try Gunbroker. I've had good luck there buying guns. I'm not too worried about being "taken" by a seller because if you pay with a Money Order and use the mail, with a Return Recipt verifying delivery it's really easy to open up a new can of federal "whoop um" on a felonious seller.

Personally I see signs that the AR market has reached it's peak. At least until the next big scare. I think prices have pretty much stabilized, with some even falling. If you want an AR they are out there for a decent price, you just have to look.

Personally, of all your listed choices I like the FAL, CETME and the AK. It would be hard for me to choose between the three, but I'd probably go with the AK followed by the FAL with the CETME bringing up the rear guard.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 29th, 2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Semi-Auto under $1000

BikerRN,

I also have started a search for a rifle. After reading online and discussing the choices with shooting friends, I have narrowed the choice down to Benelli, Browning, and Remington.

I am more of a traditional rifle kind of guy. I have owned and shot lever action and bolt action rifles. I am in my later 60s and don't tolerate recoil as well as when I was younger. So semi-auto is it for me.

Benelli and Browning are priced too high for me. Also I want fixed sights that I can leave on the rifle and mount a scope.

I spent the day today handling a Browning BAR Safari, and a Remington 750. Both in 30-06. The Remington is lighter and comes to my shoulder with the sights aligned. I really like the rifle. It is $700 at many sporting goods stores. It comes with a 5 round magazine.

In addition it is the only rifle in this category that has 10 round magazines available from a third parties. I plan to try and find someone that has one I can shoot. More to follow in the coming months. More research is need. I work this stuff to death, but money is dear and I hate to make $1000 mistakes.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

if you get a Cetme you will either get a good gun or a real POS if you can shell out $1200 get the PTR-91 it's HK quality for half to a third of the cost make sure to buy a newer one though

the century arms FAL is a great gun too and out of your list the best IMHO

instead of a Romanian AK check out the Romanian PSL longer barrel and bigger cartridge and ammo is about the same price so dirt cheap :D mags can be spendy though

AR Type Rifle

Guys, sorry to go off subject, I know little about AR type rifles. If I were looking for a .30 caliber rifle I think an M1A or FAL would be what I wanted, in .223 one of the AR rifles would be right on. I looked at one made by High Standard in Houston, that appeared to be well made.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

CETME 308
    Romanian AK
    Mini-14
    Century Arms FAL
    Hungarian AK47 AKM

What is the best option?
    The CETME 308 is the worst of the HK 91 clones - which doesn't mean they don't work, or that there aren't great ones out there. Just that they are the worst of the clones. A PTR 91 can be had for about $1250 - they are much better quality.

The Romanian AKs are basically the worst of the AKs. There are good ones out there, and they will all shoot. You'd want to give it a good looking over before buying to check for obvious flaws like canted front sights.

Nothing wrong with an SKS. I don't know much about them - don't own any SKSs yet.

Don't know much about Mini-14s except their reputation as being sub-par and seeing them in the A Team TV show. They seem cool in theory - I've never shot one myself.

Century Arms FAL - basically the lower end spectrum of FALs. You can get a DSA Stg58 for barely over a grand. AIM Surplus had them a few weeks ago for 1050 if I remember right. Imbel on a DSA receiver would be good also if you could find one. Not an FAL expert, but I read up a bit before I bought mine.

Hungarian AK-47 AKM - I haven't heard anything one way or another about Hungarian AKs. Definitely do some reading to learn what you're buying. I got Yugo and Bulgarian when I bought my AKs - so far so good.

M1 Carbine can be bought through the CMP for about $500. That would be a good deal for a magazine fed carbine. Terminal ballistics of the .30 Carbine aren't near that of a real rifle, but it would be a good gun no doubt.

Have fun picking!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    You can find an AR for under $1000.
    Where?
    Check GunBroker.com. AR-15's from Stag, for example, go for under $900 all day long. Of course, like any AR, you'll likely want to add/change a few things. That'll cost more. But a "base" gun with 16" chrome-lined bbl, sights, all upper/lower/trigger elements is easily found under $1K. Stag isn't the only make available, either, at those prices.

Head to GunBroker.com and do a search of auctions completed within the past 60 days, for "AR 15 223" in the subject. You'll see what's been happening. These are, in many cases, being sold by shops. Might even include some shops in your area.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The CETME 308 is the worst of the HK 91 clones - which doesn't mean they don't work, or that there aren't great ones out there. Just that they are the worst of the clones. A PTR 91 can be had for about $1250 - they are much better quality.
    completely agree on getting the PTR-91 :D great riffle

a bit of a common misconception on the Cetme is that it is a HK-91 clone when in all reality the HK G3 was based off of the Cetme which the HK-91 is a semi auto G3 this is one of the cases where the clones are far superior to the original

anyway my PTR-91 is a great riffle and have had no problems and parts and magazines are incredibly cheap

A yugo ak 47 is $800 at jg and is a kickass ak, the underfolding stock lessens recoil and you just can't beat the rugged reliability and firepower of an ak... ( alot more fun to shoot than a ar 15)

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post

The Romanian AKs are basically the worst of the AKs. There are good ones out there, and they will all shoot. You'd want to give it a good looking over before buying to check for obvious flaws like canted front sights.

Nothing wrong with an SKS. I don't know much about them - don't own any SKSs yet.

Don't know much about Mini-14s except their reputation as being sub-par and seeing them in the A Team TV show. They seem cool in theory - I've never shot one myself.

Century Arms FAL - basically the lower end spectrum of FALs. You can get a DSA Stg58 for barely over a grand. AIM Surplus had them a few weeks ago for 1050 if I remember right. Imbel on a DSA receiver would be good also if you could find one. Not an FAL expert, but I read up a bit before I bought mine.

Hungarian AK-47 AKM - I haven't heard anything one way or another about Hungarian AKs. Definitely do some reading to learn what you're buying. I got Yugo and Bulgarian when I bought my AKs - so far so good.

M1 Carbine can be bought through the CMP for about $500. That would be a good deal for a magazine fed carbine. Terminal ballistics of the .30 Carbine aren't near that of a real rifle, but it would be a good gun no doubt.

Have fun picking!

Austin
    He's right a bout the romanian ak, I went in to buy one at jg sales and to be quite frank some of them are 1st class and some of them are 1st class crap, I picked mine up for under 500 tax included and run circles around my friends ar-15... The underfolding stock sure as hell helps recoil though...

$600.00 and a great shooter. Look around. A few 30 round mags.
    some JSP ammo.. not a battle rifle but quite a defensive rifle.

Last edited by chiefrcd; August 5th, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: a
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links