Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision.

This is a discussion on Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saiga in 7.62x39 First you get a brand new Russian built AK47 type rifle for the price many SKS rifles are selling for currently. Then ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking at several semi-auto rifles but cant make a decision.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Saiga in 7.62x39

First you get a brand new Russian built AK47 type rifle for the price many SKS rifles are selling for currently.

Then you spend the $100 or so it takes to make it a standard AK rifle, with the ability to use standard AK mags.

Spend the remaining money on magazines and ammunition. Or. If you are feeling crazy pick up a 308 Saiga as well.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

you can buy one AR and several top ends in different calibers. I have 2 ARs in .223/5.56, and one top end in 6.8SPC....

I consider my self well equipped for any eventuality....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I bet you could find a Daniel Defense VX for under $1100 if you you looked. It's (by all accounts) a GTG rifle built to milspec standards.

Of course if you blow your entire budget on the rifle you have no (or few) mags and no ammo... Though if you know that going in you can start saving for ammo and whatnot...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

If the SKS is 'uninteresting', then you don't like accurate, indestructable, reliable firearms.

If you have reservations about the usefulness of the AK-47, then get a clue.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Did I miss it somewhere in this thread, or did you ever make a decision on what you were going to get?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Did I miss it somewhere in this thread, or did you ever make a decision on what you were going to get?

Haven't decided, but I am sitting on my disposable income right now. I work in the oil patch industry and could be laid off any day now. When everything stabalizes I will more than likely pick up a DPMS AR. I saw some on gunbroker.com for a buy it now price of $699.

edr9x23super, I have been considering a 6.8 spc upper as a future project. How well would that fit on a complete lower chambered for .223/5.56? Also what is the cost of stocking up on 6.8 spc?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    edr9x23super, I have been considering a 6.8 spc upper as a future project. How well would that fit on a complete lower chambered for .223/5.56? Also what is the cost of stocking up on 6.8 spc?

The upper just drops in. You need a 6.8 spc bolt and carrier w/ it. The current ammo costs are significantly more then .223 about in the .243 price range. Reloading costs are similar to NEW brass 223 loads.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links