Remington 870 Tactical

This is a discussion on Remington 870 Tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good evening everybody! So I just purchased an 870 tactical with the XS ghost sights. Overall I am very pleased with this shotgun but wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Tactical

Remington 870 Tactical

Good evening everybody!
    So I just purchased an 870 tactical with the XS ghost sights. Overall I am very pleased with this shotgun but wondering if anybody had any suggestions concerning upgrades? I purchased an ATI full stock with pistol grip. Does anybody have one for their shotgun? Any likes or dislikes? What else should I get?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Lots of ammo.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have the Knox adjustable stock on mine, I like it.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    You need ammo, as much of it as possible!

+1 on the Knoxx Spec Ops stock too!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Planning on putting a 12" LOP Hogue Overmolded Stock and forend on my 870 Tactical. Going to pass on a side-saddle,but considering a mount for a SureFire light as it will help acquiring the bead front sight in low light. Keep It Simple stuff! Good Luck.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I don't think I've fired one of the newer ones, but I definitely fired its Grandfather in the Marine's, the venerable 870 pump issued shotgun.

We had to qualify with it prior to assuming post on Camp Hansen in the case of a riot or whatever...I seen what it can and will do with a watermelon, I can't imagine being hit by one.
    The US Marine's aren't a branch of the US Military, they're a Religion unto themselves

I'm setting up a shotgun, Remington 870 Tactical in fact, for self defense and practice for work usage.

Here's a list of the "improvements":

Ghost Ring Rear Sight
    Tritium Front Post
    Light with pressure pad
    Improved Safety
    Sling (Nothing Fancy and not Tacticool)
    Slip On Elastic Butt Sleeve for Ammo

That's it. The reason it's at the "Toy Tinkerer" is because I have to have the Receiever drilled and tapped for the Rear Sight. I'll pick it up seven days from when I dropped it off.

I like shotguns out to 100 Yards, hence the Ghost Ring. The last time I used a shotgun for real was at night, over ten years ago. The darkness leads me to liking a Tritium Sight, hence the new Front Sight. The light, again because I want to know what made that "bump in the night". The safety for ease of use. I think anything else is self explainatory.

The only other thing I would add, if it didn't already have it, is an extended magazine tube. I prefer more ammo in the gun than on a side saddle. I may not use the Butt Sleeve to hold extra ammo, as it starts making the gun heavy and heavy guns are hard to swing quickly.

I might just load a Dump Pouch with ammo and every time I grab the shotgun, grab the Dump Pouch too. I'll have to play around with the idea a bit to make my choice. I find my "Tacticool" Shotgun to be heavy and a bit unwieldy. I may just keep using the old one I've used all these years, I don't know yet. It is fun to set it up though.

Biker

Throw up some pics guys! Here is how mine is looking..

I would like to have better sights, the bead is inferior, and a sling :) Any ideas ?

I bought one of the 870 Tactical shotguns with the ghost ring sights and rail. I threw a spare Aimpoint on it and I really like it.

Administrator
    The bead certainly is not inferior. When used properly, its faster than anything else out there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The bead certainly is not inferior. When used properly, its faster than anything else out there.
    Aside from possibly an XS 24/7 Dot-bead...

I looked through the previous post and failed to see where anyone stated the bead was inferior. Could you perhaps enlighten us?

I had the bead removed on mine because I prefer a tritium front sight with a Ghost Ring rear sight, as I find that the best combination, for me , when shooting out to 100 Yards with slugs.

Heck, on another forum I was getting chastized for liking the shotgun out to 100 Yards over the AR Rifle. To each their own I say. I prefer to hit them once, hit them hard, and be done with it. On the other forum the talk was all about double and triple taps at distance.

Hit them once and hit them hard and you don't have to do a double or triple anything. That's why I like the shotgun. Anyway, enough of my rambling. The point I was trying to make was, we are all different and have different needs and preferences. What works best for one may not be best for all.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I looked through the previous post and failed to see where anyone stated the bead was inferior. Could you perhaps enlighten us?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    I would like to have better sights, the bead is inferior, and a sling :) Any ideas ?
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Bingo. ^^

Further for HD purposes the other stuff only works to make one be _slower_ (!) and less reliable as it takes greater brain overhead to force one self to apply rifle style aiming convention to what is by design and intent a 'point' to shoot device.
    No sight is required and not to be applied, especially at the rear.

Spend the money that otherwise is wasteful on ammo to _train_ and increase proficiency, a short LOP stock as short as will allow one to run the gun, and a quality gun mounted illuminator (on combat purpose shotgun this is your 'sight'...lighting) because it's impractical to operate a shotgun one handed.

Add to this a proper combat shotgun instruction course.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out.

I'm tired, so I guess I missed that part of the post.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links