Center Point...

This is a discussion on Center Point... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought one at Wally World for $54 and it does the cross hairs in red and green or no light. Has scope covers and mounts. ...

Thread: Center Point...

Center Point...

Bought one at Wally World for $54 and it does the cross hairs in red and green or no light. Has scope covers and mounts.

I put it on the Remy 597 and it seems very nice.

Anyone else try one?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

These are very nice Scopes, I have one on my 10/22 '
    If you're looking for a a scope that will rival a 500.00 scope
    but don't want to spend the money, these are the way to go.
    I really like mine a lot.

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I haven't tried one yet, but they do look like decent scopes for the money. You do know they have three tiers of quality right? I think the ones at Wally World are the middle of the line. Any product that is made in the USA these days has a little something going for it to start with IMO.

BAC
    The irony of buying a product from Wal-Mart because it's made in the US is outstanding.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

.... well... true... but much of Ammo is too, so I guess thats good!

I have learned several things from buying scopes over the years,the cheaper scopes I have bought normally do not hold up to harsh recoil,but on rifles like 22's usually hold up fairly well
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I moved the centerpoint over to the 10/22 and I put a Tasco on the Marlin 60.

Yeah, not much recoil on a .22. Im sure I could hit rabbits all day with the iron sights but I had the urge to put a scope on.

Anyone have some ideas on what rings I need for the Remington 597 so I can have the scope on it but still see the stock sights?

The stock sights on the 597 are really good IMO. I'd attach the rings to the dove tail.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Put a Center Point 4X16 from Walmart on my AR. I've gone over budget for a prairie dog trip in June and decided to try this scope out. Sighted it in at 200yds, keeps 10 rounds in less then a one inch circle. Out at 400 yds it's no problem to hit a hanging bowling pin, just sighted on the 3rd mil dot, and the pins swinging. I like the target turrets, although I haven't 'zeroed' them at my aiming point. My buddy was sighting in his Ruger 223 w/ a Nikon 4x14 and he was impressed that the clarity of the $70 Center Point was equal to his $300 Nikon. No problems after first few hundred rounds, we'll see how it holds up on the trip.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I may need to upgrade my 10/22. I don't even recall what brand scope is on it only that I paid about $20 for it.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've used a lot of scopes over the years. I can't afford the high end Leupold and similar scopes and although I've had a LOT of cheap scopes, I'm never totally satisfied with the optics. Of course if you don't look through a hi quality scope, you won't know what you're missing!

After all the Tasco's, Simmons, Bushnell's, etc. I've really settled on two main scopes that I think are really great values. they aren't cheap, they aren't top end, but I think you get a LOT of scope for the dollars you spend.

The first are the Nikon Prostaffs. I use their 3-9x40's on my deer rifles. They run $150 or so which isn't cheap for me but they're SO good and you're going to have them for a long time!!

Nikon also makes a fixed 4 power rimfire scope that I think is the perfect squirrel rifle scope.

And then there's a company called Mueller Scopes. They're relatively new and I was hesitant to try them but took a chance and got one of their illuminated recticle scopes. It's a fantastic scope for the money.

I do agree that for many a 30 - 50 dollar scope is way more than enough for the shooting they do but for a nice rifle, I think it's good thinking to put a decent scope on it. In the long run I think you enjoy it a lot more and it lasts.

That .22 with the surpressor above sure is SWEET!

I was thinking about trying a Centerpoint. I saw them at WW and wondered if they were any good.

As far as cheap scopes go, I have always had good luck with Simmons. I have one on my muzzle loader and one on a .22 bolt action. They are good scopes for what they are. I have had the one on the muzzle loader for years with no problems and or change in zero. But recoil is not too bad on the muzzleloader. I don't know if they would hold up to the .308 or 30-06.

I made the mistake of buying a Tasco World Class this year for my 30-30 and I hate it. I figure it will withstand the light recoil of the 30-30 so I bought it on clearance.

It should be called 3rd World Class. It works, and is clear and gathers light good, but it looks like I'm lookin through a culvert with a lens on the end. It doesn't bring the view to the rear of the scope like the Simmons scopes do. I have an OLD Japanese made Tasco 3-9x40 Pronghorn on my .308 and it's the same way.

Again, I have had it on there for many years and it was old and used when I got it. I took it off a rifle I got in a trade. It works well and the old jap scopes were very durable compared to the China scopes of today, I just don't think I should be looking at the inside of the tube when I look in my scope. I keep hoping it will break, so I have an excuse to upgrade, but it just keeps on working year after year.

I may take the new tasco back and get a refund. I was gonna go with Nikon from now on. They are awesome scopes and cheaper than Leupold, but now that I know centerpoint is made in the USA I'll give one a try. If I don't like it I'll take it back for a refund and get a Nikon.

I will say that I have never had a Tasco or Simmons break on me yet. I also have a BSA red dot on my (wife's) Mini-14, it's a cheapie (uner $30), but works real well. Never a problem with it and it has been used a lot in the past year.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links