Thinking of Buying Shotgun

This is a discussion on Thinking of Buying Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having read so much about shotguns I'm interested in what brand of shotgun I might consider buying. I'm looking for a budget shotgun for someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Buying Shotgun

Having read so much about shotguns I'm interested in what brand of shotgun I might consider buying.

I'm looking for a budget shotgun for someone who's willing to spend an average of around $500.00 for a quality made shotgun.

I'd appreciate any input on something that would fit my budget. I'm a little flexible on the $500.00 range. I'm open to any suggestions & input from you.

Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

What kind of shotgun are you looking for? For $500 you have many options, but it would be easier if we knew what type you are looking for.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I have loved the Benelli Nova Pump Tactical 12ga since the day I bought and used my first one. I sold the first one I bought before I joined the Navy but have since bought a brand new one. I call her Jill. Couldn't ask for a better pump IMHO. It is in your price range too. However if your looking to have a folding/collapsible stock or make any cosmetic modifications, honestly a folding stock or collapsible stock on a shotgun is silly to me, the Benelli Nova is probably not for you.

Benelli Nova Pump Tactical 12ga...
    Has my vote.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Sorry about being so general in my needs. I'll try to give you a few more perimeters to work with to narrow down your suggestions.

I'm looking for a shotgun for primarily home self defense for room for a few "add on" features like a light, improved grips, etc. I'd like to start with a quality made shotgun and add a few bells & whistles.

I hope that his helps you understand my needs. Sorry for the vague description! I should have known better.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Hmm... I don't know if I would ever want to change the grips on my scattergun. I feel very comfortable with it just how it is. I have been thinking of adding a light to it but haven't really looked for one... I'm fairly certain that shotgun lights are for the most part universal. Perhaps Mossberg would be something to look into, not personally fond of them but they do seem to have a ton of options.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

I recently picked up a Remington 870 Express HD. I'm adding a light mount, some sling mounts, and a tritium big dot front sight. It'll end up costing somewhere in the $500-600 range.

I just bought a maverick 88, on the cheap, like 250$ nib, Its basically a mossy 500. I believe they actually are made by mossy. But i like it alot, as far as defensive shotguns that seem to be nice and popular, I will say the mav. 88, mossy 500, rem. 870, also the new tristar cobra tact. is supposed to be VERY nice for the price, about 350$, i havent shot one but have handled one and i liked it. Ther are a few others but these seem to be the most common among law enforcement/ civ. home defense and such. You could look into benelli, i hear they are nice but i think they are a bit overpriced for a shotgun when there are so many quality guns for less.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ouchy...Maverick 88 for 250? Now I know prices are insane, I got mine 2 years ago for 130 NIB.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm "tricking out" a new Remington 870 so I'll tell you what I'm doing to it. Bear in mind, I'm setting mine up as a personal home defense and truck gun.

Big Head Safety $15.00
    Ghost Ring Rifle Sights $99.00 (approximate for tritium and my cost is probably less than your's.)
    Giles Sling
    Extended Magazine Tube (already on gun when purchased)
    Tac Light (approximately $80 with a pressure switch from Cheaper Than Dirt)
    Door Breacher (Not necessary but looks cool and tenderizes meat well. Also it was on the gun when I bought it)

In the order of preference here's what I consider essential for a defensive shotgun:

Tac Light
    Safety
    Magazine Tube Extention

The other stuff is "nice" but not mandatory, unless you use a shotgun out to 100 Yards like I do. The plain bead sight will work for most applications just fine. I myself prefer slugs at longer distances, hence the Ghost Ring Sights. For non-slug usage I'd go with a bead and prefer a tritium bead for the ease of visability .

You will notice that I don't have a Side Saddle for extra ammo. That's because I carry extra ammo on a Belt if I need more than the 8 rounds in the gun. Shotgun ammo is heavy and if it's on the gun it makes the gun hard to "swing" fast.

Since you are limited by budget I would look for a Used Police Trade In or a New Remington Express. Yes, I am very biased towards Remington when it comes to Pump Action Shotguns. Both of the agencies I have worked for have used Remingtons, so I am most familiar with them. There has to be a reason why they are the most used shotgun in Police Armories.

I'm not a "fan" of an autoloading shotgun for defensive usage unless one is well versed in gunsmithing. The pump is simple, I like simple in hi stress situations.

Good luck, take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 20th, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

I purchased a Mossberg 500 series, came with two barrels, I have the 18 1/2 in one on, it also came with a light mount.
    $300.

My vote is for a Mossberg pump gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Ouchy...Maverick 88 for 250? Now I know prices are insane, I got mine 2 years ago for 130 NIB.
    That is a bit high. They sell at WalMart for $187 here.

Id buy that Maverick again and again before Id buy some $500 thing. Thats just me. Ive been really happy with them and I am a Mossberg fan for sure.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Last summer I picked up a LNIB Mossberg 500 for $125 on Gunbroker and added a Knoxx Spec Ops stock for another $115. That is a very functional package for less than $250. ( I really like the Spec Ops stock and think it makes a very significant reduction in recoil.

If you want all the bells and whistles, you could also add a red dot and or a light/laser combo and still be below $500. As for me, all I intend to add is a side saddle when I get around to it.

I just purchased a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser and put the Knoxx stock on it. After one trip at the range I was VERY impressed with the recoil reduction. Sending a few slugs downrange was rather enjoyable, not painful!

Although I've owned the my Mossberg for only a few days, It feels like a very solid firearm that will last.

I would go with either a Remington 870 (Riot) model. (Have been used for many years in police cruisers, or the Mossberg 500 (Used in Nam and took all kind of abuse and kept on ticking)

I would go with a 20" barrel, with full stock.

As far as loads, that depends, if you live in an apartment or house. Last thing you need is to go through the wall and hit a neighbor.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links