I will never shoot Fiocchi #4 12 ga. buckshot again!

This is a discussion on I will never shoot Fiocchi #4 12 ga. buckshot again! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went shooting with a buddy of mine out in a wooded area where people have been known to shoot, and it is a public ...

Thread: I will never shoot Fiocchi #4 12 ga. buckshot again!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I went shooting with a buddy of mine out in a wooded area where people have been known to shoot, and it is a public access area. Anyway I took my new 870 out with me, and loaded it up with the Fiocchi #4 buckshot I purchased with the gun. I took aim at wooden board that was about 20 yards away and pulled the trigger. I definitely felt the recoil, and it hurt the right side of my face because I had my cheek right up against the side of the part of the stock that meets the receiver. I missed my target all six shots too. I then tried the new Federal LE Tactical 00 buckshot and much more pleasant to shoot. I tried shooting the same board at the same distance and I nailed it every time. Apparently I am a little more recoil sensitive than I thought.

I can pretty much forget shooting 3" shells out of it, the Fiocchi #4 buckshot I put through it was 2 3/4"

Edit: My 870 is Knoxx Spec Ops equipped too.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

This is why we need to "pattern" our shotguns at various distances.

Out to 100 Yards I like a shotgun, with slugs. Close in, at pistol fighting distances, out to about 35 Yards I like 00. For "patterning" Butcher Paper works pretty good, but Graph Paper with 1" squares works better. I'm talking about a 3' x 5' section of paper for each shot at each distance. Put a piece of colored Post It Note in the center to aim at.

Patterning 101.... - THR

Some of my methods may be a little different, but either will work fine. Shotguns, to me, are the ultimate fighting tool out to about 100 Yards, give or take. However, care has to be taken in selecting a proper load for the task at hand, just like with a handgun and selecting your carry ammo.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    At first I didn't think there was a reason to shoot at paper with a shotgun because you would have holes all over the place, but now I do kind of see why it is important. My experience with shotguns have been minimal, but next time I go to the range I will try your suggestion. I know now the shot doesn't even start to spread for a good 5-10 yards and in the typical home, the chances of you missing are high if you don't actually aim like you would with a rifle.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Another tip, on the shotgun and tactics. God, I hate that word.

I use an aggresive fighting stance with lots of forward weight and really push the stock in to my shoulder pocket with the hand that's on the pump and pull hard with the hand doing the firing. I also squeeze the stock as hard as I can.

The squeezing leaves the trigger finger floating free, so to speak. Try it and see if it works for you. I'll bet you find you are able to work the pump mechanism faster this way too. The gun almost cycles the action by itself, because I'm using the recoil and the push/pull method and that works the action for me. Before the recoil impulse is over I have another round chambered.

Send me those Fiocchi's, I'll have fun with them. I like "hard kicking" shotguns for fun.

Biker

Administrator
    LOL. Go back to a standard stock and follow BikerRN's advice. The Fiocchis wont be a problem then.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds about like the first time I shot a round of 3 1/2" buffered turkey shot.

Half my stash of shotgun shells are Fiocchi 2 3/4 00 buck (12 ga)...no problem here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another note on the lack of spread at close distance. A cop was showing us how the Fed Flite-Control buckshot performed at close range - all shot in a 1" circle out to about 10 yds and told us how they can use it in a hostage situation. Unfortunately, we noticed on a couple of shots the wad was about 4-6" from the rest of the shot - pass on using it in the hostage scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    . I took aim at wooden board that was about 20 yards away and pulled the trigger. I definitely felt the recoil, and it hurt the right side of my face because I had my cheek right up against the side of the part of the stock that meets the receiver..

Next time try some Winchester Super X 1 oz rifled slugs, they don't kick much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Sounds about like the first time I shot a round of 3 1/2" buffered turkey shot.
    Yeah, I shot one of those 3 1/2 inchers once. It was my first time, and my last time.

If'n I can't kill it with a 3", it don't need killin. (unless it's an emegency of course:)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I live in an area where buckshot is required for deer hunting. In over 40 years of shooting buckshot, I've found out several things. First every shotgun is different. It likes different shot sizes and brands better than others. My old Browning A5 loved Winchester #1 buck and would put 90% of that load in a 30" circle at 40 yards. It wouldn't shoot Remington #1 near as well. Shoot 00 buck in thw same gun and I'd feel somewhat safe standing at 40 yards and allowing you to shoot at me, as long as you didn't aim about 3' to either side. My current Remington 1187 shoots Federal 3" 00 buck very well. Using a "Buck Kicker" 00 choke, it will put 13 out of 15 pellets in a 25 inch circle at 40 yards and still pattern around 70% at 50 yards. It hates Winchester shells but Remington premium shoots nearly as well as the Federals. You just have to get out and try different shot sizes and brands to see what works best for you.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I don't hunt often but we do a lot of target shooting. I have found that some ammo is more accurate thru my guns than other ammo. I have had the best results with Federal Truball, Federal Premium Barnes Expander Sabot Slugs and Federal Tactical and use them all for HD.

Sponsored Links