.30-06 Springfield vs .308 Winchester - Page 2

.30-06 Springfield vs .308 Winchester

This is a discussion on .30-06 Springfield vs .308 Winchester within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just to throw a monkey wrench into all of this.... Will you ever be entering another countries waters or ports? A lot of places forbid ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30-06 Springfield vs .308 Winchester

Just to throw a monkey wrench into all of this....
    Will you ever be entering another countries waters or ports? A lot of places forbid posession of weapons in military calibers. If there is a chance you will be doing that you might need to think a little outside the box.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

.308 is not military. 7.62x51 NATO is a military cartridge. The fact that it is a nomenclature issue might work it his favor, if the issue comes up.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    .308 is not military. 7.62x51 NATO is a military cartridge. The fact that it is a nomenclature issue might work it his favor, if the issue comes up.
    So the question is how much time money and effort would you be willing to risk on nomenclature? How much of your vacation time you want to spend with your boat impounded, your passport seized, sitting in a local jail with a lawyer billing you by the hour to argue semantics with the prosecutor? All they have to do is drop a mil-spec round in the weapon and see if weapon fires it. Remember, in a lot of countries you are guilty until proven innocent.

Of course if the OP is not going to leave U.S. territorial waters it is a non issue.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Those pesky Pirates are in Florida now!????

FL Pirates

I did run across a drug boat three years ago in the Florida Straights; no navigation lights and no radio response - just morse code via flashing light.

I guess he thought I was coming out to meet him until I did not respond to his light signals and changed course to avoid him.

In addition, several Cuban refugee smugglers have been chased and some caught by the Coast Guard.

Can't be to careful out there.

By the way, my intentions are always to avoid a conflict. The first part of the plan is to avoid the conflict altogether by changing course. Since the top speed of our vessel is 10 knots, I expect the hostile vessel will be faster. If he starts to follow me through several course changes and fails to acknowledge radio calls, I will be fairly certain of bad intentions.

Calling the Coast Guard to report pursuit is next, soon to be followed by shots from our stern to discourage the hostile vessel.

If we are being overtaken, I will turn our 200 ton steel vessel 180 degrees and ram the hostile. By that time, the shotguns will be out and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    So the question is how much time money and effort would you be willing to risk on nomenclature? How much of your vacation time you want to spend with your boat impounded, your passport seized, sitting in a local jail with a lawyer billing you by the hour to argue semantics with the prosecutor? All they have to do is drop a mil-spec round in the weapon and see if weapon fires it. Remember, in a lot of countries you are guilty until proven innocent.

Of course if the OP is not going to leave U.S. territorial waters it is a non issue.
    If he is in US or international waters, the point is moot. Recall they first have to discover said weapon. I know the choice I'd make.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'm from Fl originally and had a friend who sailed quite a bit. He had a few close calls with some pretty scary vessels. He kept a stainless steel mini-14 on his vessel and displayed it a few times to discourage suspect vessels from coming too close.

Never any full on encounters though luckily. Had he not displayed his weapon things may have been different? Hard to say.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I suppose it is hard to imagine that "pirates" still exist in today's world. But as we know all too well they are real people and that are a continuing danger on the international 5 mile limit. Now they are better armed!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

If you may ever get into a situation where entering a foreign port could become necessary a couple of Mosins would be a good choice. Wouldn't hurt too bad to dump them overboard.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Define long range use at sea?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Up to 125 miles off the East Coast of US and FL Straights

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    Up to 125 miles off the East Coast of US and FL Straights
    Man, if you can hit targets like that. I don't care what you do for a living you need to switch careers.

Let me rephrase since I failed to make my question clear.

At what range do you consider "long range" when choosing targets to shoot in the open water from your boat? 100 metres? 300?

If you are looking for a defensive weapon. I would go the route of 308, and purchase a FAL, or M14 copy if you are dead set on 308 or 30-06 as a caliber. Since you seem to be worried about drug runners and whatnot attacking your boat a semi-automatic action is going to be far more desireable when it comes to such a role. Especially considering that if you were to be attacked it would be most likely multiple hostiles, firing some sort of semi automatic weaponry.

Personally I would avoid the AR10 style of weaponry. Since the parts are not nearly interchangeable as other platforms, and they have had a history of malfunctions and quality control issues between the different makes. (This has improved somewhat.)

The Garand is a great piece of history, and I love them greatly, but a modern defensive rifle it is not. So while it would fit the semi automatic benefit, it loses out on round capacity and ability to use a wide variety of bullets. Also, I believe it would suffer quite a bit out in the humid salt air with that full wood stock it has. Since I don't know of any other mass produced reliable semiautomatic chambered in 30-06 I would once again stick with the 308.

However, unless you plan on attempting to take out their motor before they come into close range, or putting holes in their boat a standard AR or AK will probably suit you just as well for the ranges that one would be likely to engage hostiles. Particularly on the open water. A standard pump action 12 gauge will probably also be a nice addition as well.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Shadowsbane:

Sorry that I misunderstood your question. Other boards were asking how far off shore we traveled, and I didn't read your question very well.

I agree on the need to have AKs on board. The rifle question came up because I found the Rem 700ADL 30-06 for only $350 when I was looking for .308s.

The recent pirate attacks in the news prompted me to revise my Self Defense Plan which included 12, 16 and 20 gauge shotguns and pistols.

My first premise is to avoid the conflict by course changes, etc. The second premise is that the further away we can keep the hostile boat, the safer we will be.

So I was planning to have one or two crew on the stern in case the unknown vessel decided to pursue us during the evasion techniques. If a fast approach occurs and radio contact cannot be established and we can determine hostile intent, we will fire at them with 2 - 30-06 rifles at a distance of 200 to 300 yards hoping to discourage the chase.

I did not consider AKs for this stern defense because I was focused on stopping the hostile vessel pursuit.

If it does indeed get close (<50 yards), I know the bolt action rifles may not be as useful.

As I say, the Self Defense plan is evolving. Since we will not have a professional security team on board, but only different volunteers, I have to design a plan that can be easily carried out preferably at a distance.

Capt. Art

No problem. I just found the reply humorous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links