HD and Range fun?

HD and Range fun?

This is a discussion on HD and Range fun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey friends, I am completely new to shotguns, but have a hankering to buy one. I could use some advice from this community. I would ...

Thread: HD and Range fun?

HD and Range fun?

Hey friends, I am completely new to shotguns, but have a hankering to buy one. I could use some advice from this community. I would like to have a fairly good quality shotgun that can double as a home/self defense weapon and also one that is fun to take to the range to shoot clay pigeons. 20 gauge is probably where I am headed. I thought a pump action would be good, but a friend who shoots Beretta shotguns says they are "old technology" and recommends up and down or semi-auto. I have long arms and am tall but not sure I want a really long shotgun. Where should I start my research?
    Thanks in advance
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I like pump shotguns personally. I'd go with 12ga though. Been a while since I shot any clays, but slugs at the range can be a lot of fun depending on what you're using for targets.

Like Ram Rod, I also prefer pumps. I own a 12 ga. mossberg. "Old technology" should not be confused with "Obsolete technology".
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    "Old technology" should not be confused with "Obsolete technology".
    Especially in the firearms department.
    How is a pump action 'older technology' than an over/under anyway?

IMO, you should go with a 12GA Mossberg pump gun with an 18 inch barrel.

Amen!

Or you can shoot old technology semi-auto guns that are dependable.

1931 Remington Model 11 12 guage

With short barrel for household defense
    [

With original barrel (bottom shotgun) after a morning's duck hunt
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yeah I thought maybe my friend was mis-representing pump guns and I am still interested in them. I appreciate any shotgun recommendations you may have and thanks to those who have already suggested some. I've got a lot of learnin' to do.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    I thought a pump action would be good, but a friend who shoots Beretta shotguns says they are "old technology" and recommends up and down or semi-auto.
    Does your friend realize that successful autoloading shotguns have been around for over 100 years? They're pretty old technology themselves. Early pump shotguns are only a decade or two older.

I would look at the Mossberg 500 or 590 and the Remington 870. They are great guns and barrels are readily available so you can swap 'em out for HD and hunting/clays.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

As far as starter shotguns go, I would look no further than a remington 870. Pumps are far more reliable IMO
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    ...I thought a pump action would be good, but a friend who shoots Beretta shotguns says they are "old technology" and recommends up and down or semi-auto...
    Your friend is right, as at the very least, a pump is not new technology. However, the rate of fire on a pump is good and should be good for HD, and I trust it to cycle better than a semi-auto.

GL.

PS - I think the fearsome sound of a pump action shotgun being racked and putting fear in an intruder is an overplayed statement. It just as much lets the intruder know where you are.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I would look at the Mossberg 500 or 590 and the Remington 870. They are great guns and barrels are readily available so you can swap 'em out for HD and hunting/clays.
    Hmm. I didn't realize you can swap out barrels. That would work for me! Another question: do the stocks vary in length? I am a tall guy with long arms. Went to a gun show and held lever action guns (mostly Marlin) and I felt like my right am (trigger hand) was not extended enough. Maybe I am too used to shooting handguns.
    Certified Glock Armorer

A pump shotgun is a great HD gun, however, I have taken a different approach for my HD.
    I have a reworked (for fast action shooting) Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12ga.
    I can easily turn corners in the house and the 'double barrel' is very intimidating.
    I can hold the gun with one hand and let it hang...doesn't touch the ground. Reloads are quick enough. The first two shots welcome the first couple of intruders and then Mr. Kimber begin his welcomes...
    I guess it's what ever you get used to...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm tall with long arms myself. The standard stock on most shotguns suits me just fine.

Are you bent worse than they show here?
    Alaska Hunter Safety Course - Pointing a Shotgun

I'm tall with long arms myself. The standard stock on most shotguns suits me just fine.

Are you bent worse than they show here?
    Alaska Hunter Safety Course - Pointing a Shotgun
    No, not really. I guess it just feels weird as I am not a long gun shooter presently. I need to go shopping. I do like the idea of a barrel change out for HD and range. Thanks everyone for your input. I will send along pics if/when I get the new shotgun.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Sponsored Links