Defensive Carry banner

M4 question

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  BikerRN 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all, I've got a question and I'm looking for answers.

Both of the agencies I have worked for have issued the M4, or as I like to think of it, the worst battle rifle known to man. Something about them has always turned me off, but I may end up buying one. The reason I'm buying one is because I may not be able to get one later in life, and I do need to practice once in a while, and my current and hopefully last agency doesn't let you "practice" with their guns.

Anyway, with all that said, and because I can't use a Sharps or a Bolt Action for distance work and a lever gun for close in work, if I can't have a shotgun, I was considering one by a maker I've never heard of. I have "feelers" out in various places and was wondering what people knew about this manufacturer.

American Spirit Arms - Precision Firearms - AR15, M16 Rifle, M4 Carbine

With the inflated prices and the political uncertainty at this time I can't find a Rock River, plus they are getting hard to afford. I've had to increase my budget from $800 to about $1200, which hurts. The only saving grace is, I can deduct it on my taxes. Bushmaster doesn't have a good reputation among people whose opinion I respect, and their expiriences. I haven't seen a CMMG in over a year locally and the one shop with a wall full of Colts is out of my price range.

I may be better waiting a year, but the uncertainty thing is forcing my hand. Something about these rifles leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as I'm more of a "traditionalist" and I also like a larger and heavier bullet.

With all that said, I eagarly await your replies and thank you in advance.

Biker

See less See more
#2 ·
These days, even the poor AR-15's are going for more then a grand. You might as well order a new in box LMT at $1235 retail price. Lead time will be a few months, but you won't end up paying a marked up dealer fee. Call them and ask the lead time, they are honest and reliable. A local FFL has the same LMT Defender M4 for $1600 here locally. Order it and wait and you can avoid the lame markup.

Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

I have seen a few great AR deals in the member buy and sell section the past few months. If I didn't already own one, I probably would have bought one.

#3 ·
I've built a couple of rifles on their lowers with no problems. Handled their complete rifles at a gun show and talked to one of their employees maybe 18 months ago. Liked the fit and finish, couldn't see anything wrong with them, and their employee was really nice and helpful. Unfortunately I've never shot one of their rifles, so I can't give you a real AAR.

#4 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all, I've got a question and I'm looking for answers.
---
and was wondering what people knew about this manufacturer.
---
American Spirit Arms - Precision Firearms - AR15, M16 Rifle, M4 Carbine
---
Bushmaster doesn't have a good reputation among people whose opinion I respect, and their expiriences. I haven't seen a CMMG in over a year locally and the one shop with a wall full of Colts is out of my price range.
---
With all that said, I eagarly await your replies and thank you in advance.
---
Biker
ASA has had a checkered past - do a google search, :icon_neutral:

I recommend an Armalite. :hand10:

ARMALITE

I think you can get an LEO Discount.

FYI I currently own 4 ARs - an Armalite , Colt ,Bushmaster , and Rock River .

:wave:

#5 ·
Bravo Company, Colt, LMT, and Noveske are currently the market leaders among AR-15s, and they've earned their spot. I know both LMT and Noveske offer substantial LEO discounts, I don't know if the same is true for Bravo Company or Colt. CD Defense (D-M4LE) and Daniel Defense are newcomers who are very quickly rising to the ranks of the other four companies I mentioned, especially Daniel Defense. Whatever the rifle, the least expensive rifle you can conceivably get will still run for a grand. That was true before the recent gun-buying craze, and will remain true when it ends.

-B

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. :smile:

I will be making some phone calls Monday morning. :bier:

Biker

#11 ·
Yes, it's the 6920.

I couldn't believe the price. I'm faxing my creds and a copy of my FFL's License, along with the respective paperwork tomorrow. They said I should have it in about 45 days.

After I fax that paperwork I have to take a shotgun in to have some work done. Ghost Ring Sights with a Trijicon tritium front post, left handed safety and sling attachment. I'm in "Big Boy Heaven" as my wife calls it. :danceban:

Biker

#15 ·
Good choice. If you really want to just buy it and mostly-forget about it, consider sending it to SAW for a reliability package. The 6920 is good as is, but I've never heard of anyone complain about a weapon the folks at SAW have gone over.

-B

#16 ·
I'm buying a 6940 for $1345, shipped, just because I can. :) It'll be a few months before I see it, but I'll give y'all a range report as soon as I can.

#17 · (Edited)
I saw that one, but since we use the 6920 at work I wanted something like the work gun to practice on my own time with. I could've got the 6940 for the same price you paid, but the 6920 was a little less exspensive. That helps me in the maintaining family relations department as my Adult Supervisor thinks I spend too much money on toys.

Enjoy your 6940 when you get it. I look forward to a Range Report. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.