CMMG AR's... opinions...?

This is a discussion on CMMG AR's... opinions...? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know a guy with a CMMG AR for sale... the price seems good... anybody got any experience or opinions on these rifles? I saw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMMG AR's... opinions...?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

I know a guy with a CMMG AR for sale... the price seems good... anybody got any experience or opinions on these rifles?

I saw a thread at AR15dotcom where owners of these rifles were posting photos, and they all seem to love theirs... no negative reviews...

It's a "16in A3 carbine with removable carry handle, retractable stock, 2 mags, softside case"...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

CMMG builds good guns. There are a lot of them around here, have heard no complaints at all. (They are built about 25 miles from where I am sitting.)

This review sounds promising... but it also kinda sounds like an "editorial ad" for an advertiser...

CMMG KISS CARBINE 5.56mm

Written by Matt Berger.

Getting back to the basics its a lean and mean SHARPSHOOTER!

A newer manufacturer of rifles and carbines of the AR15 platform, CMMG has endeavored to provide the most expansive selection of catalogued models in their inventory, and has succeeded, while manufacturing a quality product steeped in military specification production.

There are several features found in CMMGs guns that set them apart from others. In addition to quite possibly having the vastest array of configurations available by any one maker, they back these weapons with a lifetime warranty. They are also careful to observe such mil-spec standards as ensuring barrels are parkerized underneath the front sight bases, using 4150 steel in the barrels, mil-spec handguard caps, M4 barrel profiles, and chambering the guns in 5.56mm, which allows them to handle chamber pressures from both the military and .223 ammunition. Other areas of special attention to detail include the fact that barrels and bores are hard chrome plated, feed ramps are anodized with the option of polished feed ramps, bolt carriers have M16-style shrouds to protect against hammer wear, and they magnetic particle test every barrel. Each rifle/carbine includes a hard case, two 30-round magazines, cleaning kit, sling, manual and choice of detachable carry handle or flip-up rear sight. The KISS Carbine is an exception to the latter part of that rule, since the detachable handle and flip-up rear sight are not available on this model.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I have heard nothing but good things about CMMG and was building/pricing one a little over a month ago but never finished because I ran across a RRA at a gun show and opted to just buy it because I am an instant gratification gun buyer. I hate waiting. Once I save up some more, I still plan on building me a CMMG rifle.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

CMMG, Colt, LMT and Rock River were all on my "short list" when I was considering an American Spriit AR type weapon.

I went with a Colt because I got it for a real good price. If I couldn't get the Colt I was going to get either a CMMG or a LMT. I haven't seen a Rock River for a while on the store shelves, and I think they are over-priced for what they are right now.

Heck, the American Spirit I was considering was way over-priced, IMHO. The reason I was considering it was because it was available. While I like that many new gun-owners are being created by this "panic" I hate it when I can't find a gun I want, or ammo.

I don't think you can go wrong with a CMMG, but that's the opinion of a guy that doesn't care for the AR15/M4 set-up and only uses one at work. I much prefer a shotgun out to 100 Yards and then a nice Bolt Action after that.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Seen and heard good things about them. I did, however, order a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt and it had a chipped extractor, sloppy welding, and a poorly fitted firing pin. It was not put together as well as I thought it should be...

read here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-ar-15-a.html

I love my CMMG 16" mid length and have NOTHING at all bad to say about it!
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Funny how I hear all sorts of great reviews, but I never heard of CMMG until this rifle came along... I don't have an AR yet, but I bet I can name a dozen AR manufacturers...

Weird....

CMMG is good to go.

Read up here:
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

He picks CMMG over the others as a cop.

The only bad I've heard (no personal experience) is customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Funny how I hear all sorts of great reviews, but I never heard of CMMG until this rifle came along... I don't have an AR yet, but I bet I can name a dozen AR manufacturers...

Weird....

Clarify please? Maby Im just to tired (I really am beat down) but that just went RIGHT over my head lol.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernZ71 View Post
    Clarify please?
    I meant that I've heard of Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Stag, Noveske, and at least a half-dozen other names, but never CMMG... I had to go Google it...

CMMG is/was supposed to be good to go, as evidenced by the link posted. Ordered mine last June/July and after 6-8 mos of waiting, gave up and canceled order. I have heard of random complaints like the sloppy weld post above. It's possible they've gotten overwhelmed and are rushing things out without proper QC. Ordered a lefty Stag in Nov and it was on my doorstep in 5-mos.

They seem to be fine. I have no personal experience with them. Haven't heard or read any horror stories. What is the price?

Austin

I was actually going to purchase a CMMG but I instead went with an LMT for an additional $300. I heard great reviews about CMMG's.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links