Mossberg 590A or 930? Plus shotgun loads

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590A or 930? Plus shotgun loads within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm planning on buying a shotgun for home defense. I've looked at the semi auto and pump versions of Remingtom, Ithaca, Bennelli and Mossberg. Its ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590A or 930? Plus shotgun loads

Cool Mossberg 590A or 930? Plus shotgun loads

I'm planning on buying a shotgun for home defense. I've looked at the semi auto and pump versions of Remingtom, Ithaca, Bennelli and Mossberg. Its come down to the Mossberg 590A1 or the 930 SPX. I'd like some thoughts from experienced tactical shot gun users on the positives and negatives of these two shotguns and feedback on any other brands. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

I would also like some suggestions for shotgun loads other than double 00 Buck Shot.

2. Remove Ads

I've shot and love the 590... it is reliable as sunset. robust shotgun too. My only complaint is that it is kind of long; i have been shooting the 20 inch version w/c is the only version it comes IIRC. I am going to install a knoxx stocks on mine to decreased the LOP and hopefully that helps.

I've researched the 930 and by all accounts it passes muster. I don't remember the publication but it was taken to some Argentinian bird shoot by Greg Rodriguez. He also reviews the shotgun at "Shooting Times" during a Blackwater shoot. I love the way this shotgun handles and looks. great sights and perfect length for somebody like me. I don't know first hand how reliable it is though. Although, I don't think you would go wrong with picking this one. It is kind of hard to find currently though.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I have been eyeing the 930 as an addition to my 590. The 590 is a stallwart tried and true platform. I am sure the 930 will be the same as anything Mossberg sells. They make great guns
    2A is not negotiable

i dont have eaither but HOLY CRAP, that thing is SEXY. I WANT ONE

Quote Originally Posted by tattooguru View Post
    i dont have eaither but HOLY CRAP, that thing is SEXY. I WANT ONE
    +1 to that... This is my latest quandry to SD shotgun question I have. 590 or 930??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Pump or semi? Ford or Chevy? Blonde or brunette? These are questions only you can answer. Personal choice is...well...it's personal.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm not an experienced shotgun shooter, but I know I definitely prefer the ergonomics of the Mossberg over the Remmy... much smarter placement of the safety... good call there...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Administrator
    Both are good guns, I cant say one is better than the other. One advantage to a pump is that it will cycle about anything, including some of the specialty stuff like less lethal all the way up to the super high power loads. And good luck finding a SPX.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's funny that this should come up, I've been spending the past week trying to figure out which 590 (or 870, if someone can convince me otherwise) to replace my 930 Security/Field combo with.

I bought my wife a 930 and it shoots great
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just picked up a 500 Tactical Cruiser a few weeks ago and put a Knoxx stock on it. From what I've seen and heard, the 500 Tactical is identical to the 590s minus the metal trigger guard and metal safety. The Tactical Cruiser has a front hand strap and a mean looking (if not worth anything else) breaching crown.

I've been extremely happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 590 or 930. I chose the pump because of its simplicity and time "proven-ness".

As far as ammo, I have mine loaded with Hornady TAP Reduced Recoil 00 Buck, but keep Federal Premium Vital Shock (max velocity) w/ Flitecontrol Wad 00 Buck and some "hollow point" 1oz slugs nearby.

930 SPX hands down for me. Don't get me wrong the 590 is a great shotgun but the less things you have to manipulate in a fight(ie a pump)the less you have have to worry about. Also to all that think I'm bad mouthing the pump shotgun, I'm not I just believe there is better technology today and we should take advantage of it. I also owned a 590A1 and if it was the end of the world, it would be the shotgun I would use. Just because how much abuse it could take. Now if I new I was gonna be in a close quarters firefight tomorrow the 930spx would be what I take with me. Its my current goto shotgun for the duration.

Also for alternative 12ga loads look at centurions multi defense buckshot, its a 65cal hardcast lead ball and six buckshot going 1300fps. It also patterns real tight, and answers that age old question should I use buckshot or slugs.

I've owned and used shotguns for over 50 years. The one thing I'll say is to pattern any load you are considering. All shotguns are picky. Different shot sizes and even different brands of shells in the same shot sizes will shoot differently in every gun. I once had a Belgian Browning A5 which would take out the center of a pattering target at 40 yards with Winchester #1 buck. Other brands were good, but not as good as the Winchesters. Put #00 buck in the same gun and I'd almost be willing to stand in front of the target at 40 yards. It wouldn't put one pellet anywhere near the center. My current shotgun (Remington 1187) loves Federal Premium #00 buck, will shoot Remingtons nearly as well, but doesn't like Winchesters at all. I only shoot the 00's in that gun because it has an add-on choke designed specifically for that shot size.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Both are good guns, I cant say one is better than the other. One advantage to a pump is that it will cycle about anything, including some of the specialty stuff like less lethal all the way up to the super high power loads. And good luck finding a SPX.
    I labored over the exact same 2 guns. As you state, I couldn't find a 930 if my life depended on it. Found a 590A1 and snatched it up. Decision made.
    Of course a week after I bought it, I found THREE locally. If anyone is still looking for one, PM me. There were still 2 as of THIS MORNING.

And to Raider: the 590A1 also comes in an 18.5" barrel which I have.
    HK45c V1

Owned an 8 shot 500 for years and sold itand now have an 870 Tactical(Christmas present from the wife), BUT LOVE what I have read about that Mossy 930. Youtube hyas some videos of guys shooting them...LOOKS GREAT. if I purchased another tactical shotty it would be the 930. The "poor man's Benelli" and just as effective and reliable.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links