AR-15 newbie / HK416 problems

This is a discussion on AR-15 newbie / HK416 problems within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've recently become hooked on the idea of picking up an AR-15/M4 type rifle. I freely admit I don't know the exact difference between the ...

Thread: AR-15 newbie / HK416 problems

I've recently become hooked on the idea of picking up an AR-15/M4 type rifle. I freely admit I don't know the exact difference between the two other than barrel length. I'm learning fast about building your own AR-15, but I think I'd like one out of the box until I know exactly what each accessory will give me. From what I've gathered here, you pretty much can't go wrong with the some of the major players: Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, and Armalite.

I handled an SW M&P at a recent gun show, but I haven't heard stellar things about 'em on this board. Also, I watched a DVR'd show today about the history of the M-16, and they highlighted the HK416. Looked awesome! Then I did a search on here and realized one of those would be crazy expensive. Also found this:

The Tactical Wire

Looks like HK is having problems. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations regarding a beginner AR would be great. I'd also like to hear some of the experienced rifle guys comment on the HK. Thanks!

BAC
    Please don't interpret this as speaking ill of the forum, but this is one catering mostly to a handgun crowd. I strongly suggest spending some time on forums that deal mostly with AR-15s (M4Carbine.net arguably has the best signal to noise ratio).

That aside, don't get your hopes up on an HK 416. Some military have them, fewer police have them, and even fewer civilians have them. The uppers that are owned by civilians are demo uppers brought to more police departments than anyone should hope to visit, and could probably use some TLC by the time the civvie owner gets their hands on it. Kinda funny, when you think about it, spending $4k on a worn-out upper...

I suggest reading this article, before ya get to buyin' anything. Follow it up with questions in forums like the one I mentioned earlier, and you'll be down the good road in no time.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    There's a link somewhere at M4C about that Tactical Wire link... basically it's bupkiss, confirmed by an HK exec...

As for building - it's possible to get an equivalent AR for less... but it's not a whole lot less, and you really need to be pretty mechanically inclined unless you buy a completed upper, and then you really cut into your margin...

Besides, if you want an M4, it's hard to beat an LMT or Colt 6920 (or even the Charles Daly M4LE from what I hear) and they're pretty reasonably priced...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    I've recently become hooked on the idea of picking up an AR-15/M4 type rifle. I freely admit I don't know the exact difference between the two other than barrel length. I'm learning fast about building your own AR-15, but I think I'd like one out of the box until I know exactly what each accessory will give me. From what I've gathered here, you pretty much can't go wrong with the some of the major players: Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, and Armalite.

I handled an SW M&P at a recent gun show, but I haven't heard stellar things about 'em on this board. Also, I watched a DVR'd show today about the history of the M-16, and they highlighted the HK416. Looked awesome! Then I did a search on here and realized one of those would be crazy expensive. Also found this:

The Tactical Wire

Looks like HK is having problems. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations regarding a beginner AR would be great. I'd also like to hear some of the experienced rifle guys comment on the HK. Thanks!
    Have to agree with BAC..check out: www. M4Carbine.net(I use it)and that should help you with your AR questions. Just take it slow, there is ALOT of info on that site, but everybody is cool and likes to help. GOOD LUCK!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Sponsored Links