Where do you keep your rifle/shotgun for HD?

This is a discussion on Where do you keep your rifle/shotgun for HD? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where does everyone keep there rifle/shotgun that they plan to use in a HD scenario? How do you balance speed of access with prying hands/eyes? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Where do you keep your rifle/shotgun for HD?

Where do you keep your rifle/shotgun for HD?

Where does everyone keep there rifle/shotgun that they plan to use in a HD scenario? How do you balance speed of access with prying hands/eyes?

I read an article by Dave Spaulding suggesting two LARGE hooks screwed into the ceiling the closet, the gun would be hid by the wall.

Just curious?

2. Remove Ads

I got a V Line case that slides under my bed and holds my AR and a shotgun. The inspiration was from somebody else around here, I forget who. Google it - they are nice.

Austin

My Kimber is on my night stand...my (reworked) Stoeger Nickle Supreme Coach Gun (12ga) is a few steps away...Molon Labe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    At the moment, there is a Mini-14 leaning against the wall, by the bed. There is a window on that wall, and extra-long drapes largely obscure the Mini. There is a sheet of plywood screwed to the outside of the window, originally put there in anticipation of a hurricane hit, but left there afterward, after I found it keeps light out, which helps me sleep in the daytime, as I work at night. The plywood is hidden from the outside by dense vegetation, and from the inside by blinds and drapes, and of course, prevents a quick smash-and-grab of the Mini. There is another window nearby, for emergency egress. Life is good.

I don't leave the Mini unattended when I leave the house; it either goes into a safe, or goes with me, usually the latter, as it has recently become my car/trunk rifle.

There is a certain corner where my 870P stands nearby, too. This one doubles as my duty shotgun.

we ether have our guns on, or with us, or in the safe, it is a digital lock, or in a small electronic lock box. really don't want an un-attended firearm laying around. that way we can leave, or have anyone in and not have to say wait a minute. it works for us. we also try to keep our keys to the extra cars locked up so when we leave a burglar will not get one of the other cars too.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I keep my XD 45 on the night stand, and my pistol grip shotgun is on the floor beside by bed. The shotgun is the only gun in the house that doesn't have a round in the chamber.

I don't have any kids so, when I did have a 12 gauge
    I kept it in my bedroom closet loaded.

I keep minie in the closet near the bed, unloaded with 5 rounds in a sleeve on the stock. Wife absolutely will not let me load it, and with good reason, my 2y/o son. I also keep my Ruger LCP loaded and chambered on the shelf in the top of me closet if faster response is required.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I got a V Line case that slides under my bed and holds my AR and a shotgun. The inspiration was from somebody else around here, I forget who. Google it - they are nice.

Austin
    Like this?

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

jfl
    I built a shelf under the bed; the Mossberg lives there; I can access it without getting out of bed; there is also room for the G-26 (my carry gun); the G-17 - with light - is on my night stand with a couple of flashlights.
    My wife has her .357 SW scandium under her pillow.

Don't visit us unannounced at night
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have it leaning against the wall at the head of the bed at night, and I carry it with me through the house during the day.

That's it Chuck! You must be the guy. Those mechanical push button locks are great. No worrying about batteries dying or anything, and they are very fast and easy to open, but impossible to guess the combo and easy to change it.

Before my daughter was mobile I was fine with leaning one against the nightstand every night, but things are different now, and will be for probably the next 20 years or so. I think it was a couple hundred bucks or so. Well worth it IMO.

Austin

In the safe during the day. Beretta 96 in the top dresser drawer, Mossberg 500leaning against the bedpost as soon we decide to go to bed. I usually have my G27 on me or nearby (on top of something very tall) so it's out of reach of prying fingers. They go in safe as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.

12ga lays next to the bed. For that matter so do the pistols. This is when slepping of course. Other wise the 12ga lays nest to the bed and one or more of the pistolas goes everywhere with me.
    rdpG19 likes this.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Kimber on my nightstand, Colt Detective Special on the wife's nightstand, Winchester pump in the corner near me only about 3 feet away and unimpeded. No kids and the dogs don't seem interested in any of the guns. BTW, 65 #chow on her side of the bed and 60# and growing (puppy) husky/shepherd mix on my side. The 65# border collie roams the house at night. I sleep very well thank you.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links