I'm thinking about a Mini 14 - Page 2

I'm thinking about a Mini 14

This is a discussion on I'm thinking about a Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats on your new weapon, very nice! One thing I can add cause everyone else got this thread covered. The Mini for me anyway seems ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm thinking about a Mini 14

Congrats on your new weapon, very nice!
    One thing I can add cause everyone else got this thread covered. The Mini for me anyway seems to take a lot more time to thoroughly clean. Enjoy!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Congrats on your new mini! I'd love a range report in the future!

I have an older one and it shoots pretty good groups. Not as good as I can get with an AR but still quite acceptable. Since I'm not as young as I used to be, I can't see well enough to shoot beyond 100 yards without a scope, so the Mini is just fine. I can still shoot minute of man at 100 yards without a scope.

I shot 200 rounds today, of mixed 55 gr ammo, and the Mini did OK...

First off, I have one 20 round Ruger mag and two 30 round plastic ProMags. The ProMags had the feed lips cut back a hint, to look like the Ruger mag. With them as supplied, the top round would not feed, even with me bumping the bolt forward with my hand. After the modification, the first round would feed, with a little bump. The remaining 29 would feed all by themselves. By the last mag, the top round was feeding all by itself.

The rifle never failed in any way, with the Ruger mag installed. Two failures with a Promag happened. First was a failure to feed. Not a jam, just a CLICK on an empty chamber. No clue how I did this. Second was a failure to extract. The empty case was half way out, and the bolt was locked to the rear. Again, no clue how this happened. The case came out with gravity. It was not jammed.

Sighting in the Ghost Ring took a while. I ended up turning it up 6 and 1/2 turns to be on center at just 25 yards. I ran out of time, so I didn't go out any further. Once centered, the Mini shot this group. I left my rest at home, so this is shooting off my elbows. This was the last mag of a two hour shooting session.

With a rest and an optic, I'm sure to do better...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Congratulations on the new rifle. I have had mine for about eight months and have really enjoyed it. I still want a black rifle, though. The modular design of the AR is hard to beat.

I have some suggestions on magazines. I have bought Ruger brand 20-round mags from Ruger's web site. These are entirely trustworthy. I have also bought 20-round, steel, Pro-Mag magazines, and these too have been entirely trustworthy. I bought 2, 30-round steel Pro-Mags, and while they fed reliably, they are much more trouble to attach and detach. The difference is that the 20-round mags from Pro-Mag are virtually indistinguishable from the Ruger factory 20-round mags. They have a rounded, half cylindrical "bump" that engages the magazine latch, just like the Ruger factory mags. This seems to be the magic formula for reliability in non-factory mags for the Mini-14. The Pro-Mag 30-round mags I bought have a flat piece of steel that is welded to the rear edge of the mag, near the top, which engages the magazine latch. These look like they might have been designed for an AR and modified to fit the Mini-14. I have decided that I can live with 20-round magazines, and will continue to buy Ruger factory 20-round mags as well as the steel Pro-Mag 20-rounders. This gives me at least two sources for reliable mags.

I hope that this information helps.

I would not mind 20 round mags...

When I bought the rifle, only one place had any mags at all, and they were the ones I bought.

I'm sure I could find some metal 20 round ProMags online.

Thanks for the input.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

if you really want a Ruger, by all means get one, the action is bulletproof, and the accuracy has improved dramatically compared to the ones I shot back in the early '80s.

Still, my first choice would be an AR-15; there are a lot more parts available and you can change calibers in a heartbeat in minutes with a top end.

Either way, I would get one or both of those fine weapons while you can, especially since you-know-who is in office. I see both as a great investment for the future. After all, they are only going to increase in value.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I put a BSA Red Dot (6moa dot) on my wife's Mini-14 and it really helped tighten up the groups over the factory sights.

The mount is pretty high, and with no magnification on the glass, one can move and keep both eyes open, without distortion, and the dot simply projects on the target. It's really fun to use on drills when rapidly engaging multiple targets.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I bought my mini from a friend a few months ago it come with 11 various 30 rounders. I never even tried any of them, I found two new 20's at a gun show for 35 bucks each...

Check out the TROY and SCAR stocks.

I just discovered that Ruger is selling their 30 round mags to the general public again. They are steep at $59, but at least they are available again.

You can also get Mini-14 mags at Academy, saw them there for about 50 bucks.....

get them now while you can.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Midway has a decent price on Ruger 20 rounders, when they have a few...

Great choice! I have a 1995 Ranch Rifle (unmodified) that, last time at the range, shot 4" groups at 50 yards. It was stringing vertically, so I'm certain the rifle will do better with a more competent shooter. I use it as my "farm rifle" as it's easy to carry on the ATV and rarely misses a ground hog. The A/R is too bulky for my taste in the role I've chosen for my .223. Good luck!

I went with the ATI StrikeForce stock and a red/green dot scope. I now get decent groups at 50 yards.

In truth, I'll likely leave it at 50...

I now have the factory 20 round mag, and three ProMag Plastic 30 round mags. All function well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links