reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

This is a discussion on reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AllAmerican Buy an SKS and do not change the stock. Maybe do the firing pin and trigger upgrades but do not bubba ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Buy an SKS and do not change the stock. Maybe do the firing pin and trigger upgrades but do not bubba a beautiful rifle.
    I guess some people do like the "old" wooden look. I imagine the op probably doesnt since he called it a "tactical" rifle but who knows. I hate the old wooden look myself. Gimme more black rifles to piss off 2a nazis lol!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

2. Remove Ads

If you are willing to consider a .22LR, I recommend the Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket stock and 30 round magazine. Add a red dot scope and a sling, and you have a fairly 'tactical', cheap to shoot, fun gun.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Purchase the AR in sections, slowly and you can probably et it pretty close to$600-$700 without all that much work, as long as you are patient. Granted that it is a bit more than you want to pay, but the cost would be spread out somewhat.

That way you have two rifles, that use the same ammunition, same magazines, and some of the same parts.

Also you end up saving money by not purchasing different ammunition and mags. With current prices you could easily cover the distance between what you want to pay, and my suggestion.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I guess some people do like the "old" wooden look. I imagine the op probably doesnt since he called it a "tactical" rifle but who knows. I hate the old wooden look myself. Gimme more black rifles to piss off 2a nazis lol!
    Well, dont get me wrong. I really like the Tapco stocks and doing that sort of thing to guns. However, I guess lately as I buy more and more guns I realize that Im able to do this because Im not using the dough on the tacticool upgrades.

Im certainly not saying they arent cool. Im just starting to appreciate the the guns in their original condition as of late.

Someday Ill do the tactical thing to a 10/22 and an SKS but they will have to be beat first. The 10/22 I just bought had its stock sanded down to the wood by its previous owner. I restained it and its pretty nice now. My SKS stock is almost mint.

Im sure this isnt my last of either.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    AK would be the least expensive and very reliable,.. It will shoot after being in a mud pit,. But there not as accurate,.. (downfall)..
    I was say it's accurate enough for it's intended purpose... I can easily hit dinner plates at 100 yards standing with my stock Saiga wt iron sights, that's about the size of a human's head.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I've heard you can pick up AK-47s and AR-15s for under $200 in Florida.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Sounds like a joke to me. Unless maybe they're stolen? Nah, still too cheap.

I would save up more money and buy a better quality gun, or sell a gun to help pay the difference. The AK-74 ammo is very cheap. $150/1000 vs. $400+/1000 for .223/5.56 - so it might be a good choice if you don't have a lot of money to work with. The magazines for the AK-74 are more expensive though - about $25 a piece at best.

The Mini-14 is probably your best option if you have to keep the budget down - AK prices are the highest they've ever been, but you can still get AR15s for reasonable prices if you shop around.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Stay away from the Wasr's. Some (not all) had canted gas ports and sights.
    What is the significance of this? I too would like an AK and it seems the WASR is the most common.... do you have a source for getting a good AK at a good price?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

AK semi-auto clone from Century Arms
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    What is the significance of this? I too would like an AK and it seems the WASR is the most common.... do you have a source for getting a good AK at a good price?
    It's called a Saiga... I saw them going from $450-$550 (depending on the caliber, ranging from .223rem, 7.62x39mm, 7.62NATO and even 30.06!) at many shows and shops... for the price I have not seen ANYTHING come close (and they use to cost much less, about $300 2 years ago)... the WASR's quality is not in the same range as a Saiga and the Saiga is made by the SAME people who makes and supplies the russian military with modern AKs, and other military arms such as the cannons used in the Mig series... they also make target rifles from .22LR to .308 and 7x62x54Rimmed.

This should not even been a hard to see... I found myself in the same possition some months ago and it was EASY when I did my research, and right now I am slowly gathering parts to make my own AR15 (probably in the SPR set up in 6.8SPC), BUT AR15s will go for at lest $1000 these days, more than 2x the cost of a Saiga.
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    I've heard you can pick up AK-47s and AR-15s for under $200 in Florida.
    You can hardly even buy a new AR15 lower receiver for that price... if I saw something like this I would be looking for filled down serial numbers and any evidence it was stollen or used in a crime.

WASR-10 AK's are not the prettiest examples of the gunmakers art, but the darn things will function just like any AK should. I'm sure there are examples where the 'cant' issue is functional, but I've never seen one where it was more than mere cosmetic, and in most the problem does not exist. Ammo, extra magazines, and repair parts are fairly easy to find. These guns will work every time you pull the triger, even under the worst possible conditions, with any ammo, dispite never being cleaned, even in the hands of the most backward of peasants.

However, the price of these guns is now at or above the $500 limit. Either you have to find a really good deal on a WASR, or you should go for an SKS. The SKS uses the same round as the AK, but loads a 10-round magazine from stripper clips. This is only slightly slower loading than the AK, and you can carry more ammo in stripper clips than you can in magazines for the AK. While a selective fire AK has the advantage, in semi-auto format the AK and SKS are pretty equal.

The Saigas are good guns too, but magazines will cost you a fortune if you like lots of them, and who doesn't. You can modify the Saiga to take standard AK mags, but do you want to?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    It's called a Saiga...

. . . the Saiga is made by the SAME people who make and supply the russian military with modern AKs.
    Yupper. I got a Saiga 7.62 last summer (modified to take AK mags) with 2 ea. 30-rounders and the 10 rd for $425. If you want to start using foreign made hi-cap mags or put a pistol grip on, etc. then you run into 922(r) compliance issues, but it's not a huge hassle.

Great shooter, well made, and plenty accurate.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    WASR-10 AK's are not the prettiest examples of the gunmakers art, but the darn things will function just like any AK should. I'm sure there are examples where the 'cant' issue is functional, but I've never seen one where it was more than mere cosmetic, and in most the problem does not exist. Ammo, extra magazines, and repair parts are fairly easy to find. These guns will work every time you pull the triger, even under the worst possible conditions, with any ammo, dispite never being cleaned, even in the hands of the most backward of peasants.
    I've also got a WASR-10, with a Tapco side folder and Galil(sp) style fore stock. Out of the box I did an elevation adjustment and was making 3 inch groups with it at 100yds, I think there's a lot of unfounded bad rumors about this rifle. I paid $600 for mine a month ago, then picked up 4 metal Bulgarian 30rd mags for $20 each, and some Russian Bear ammo for $7 per 20rds. I don't think you can touch a .223 for that price, I'm as happy with it as a pig in...mud! For me it's the perfect HD rifle in my price range.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

i have an ak they used to be 500 or less but now your choices could be a m1 carbine get one in a few months cmp i like mine i had to do some work but it is a classic assault weapon that has proved its metal over the last century

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links