reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

This is a discussion on reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always thought they were called tactical rifles or defensive weapons?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

I always thought they were called tactical rifles or defensive weapons?

2. Remove Ads

Last list price (out of stock) @ buds for a WASR-10 7.62x39 is $465 with a folding stock.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

J&G sales has a decent sized line of Romanian AK's for anywhere from $490 to $600. As far as I can tell they're all in stock.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I will be taking delivery on a Romainian AK this summer myself. It was a deal at around $500 for the condition its in. Already gathering ammo and storing it for when it arrives. Cant wait
    ...trust me, I know what I`m doing..

Assault rifle? You want a machine gun? No problem if you have a class III ticket.

Please don't call semi-automatic rifles, assault rifles, That is exactly what the anti-gunners call them. Assault rifles have a full auto select switch.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Just remember if you purchase a SKS and change to Tapco or other tactical stocks, you have to have a total of 6 U.S. parts to comply with 922r law same deal if you change anything on a Siaga, or any imported AK, FAL, etc rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Assault rifle? You want a machine gun? No problem if you have a class III ticket.

Please don't call semi-automatic rifles, assault rifles, That is exactly what the anti-gunners call them. Assault rifles have a full auto select switch.
    This is exactly what I thought of when I read the OP. I'm surprised there have been so many replies and noone said anything about it.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Big deal. If you think about it the rifle could be used in an assault. Almost any rifle could, but the kind of rifle the OP wants to buy is designed to be used in an assault.

Just because the media has no idea what they're talking about doesn't mean we have to "kitty" foot around and not call something what it is.

Assault rifles are legal under the 2nd Amendment. If I was in a militia, and I was training to fight against other men, I would want an assault rifle.

As for getting a reliable one for under $500 - I don't think its going to happen. A Garand from the CMP will get you there - but you'll still need ammo.

Austin
    Last edited by aus71383; May 21st, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: correct spelling mistake and change a word from ***** to "kitty"

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Big deal. If you think about it the rifle could be used in an assault. Almost any rifle could, but the kind of rifle the OP wants to buy is designed to be used in an assault.

Just because the media has no idea what they're talking about doesn't mean we have to "kitty" foot around and not call something what it is.

Assault rifles are legal under the 2nd Amendment. If I was in a militia, and I was training to fight against other men, I would want an assault rifle.

As for getting a reliable one for under $500 - I don't think its going to happen. A Garand from the CMP will get you there - but you'll still need ammo.

Austin
    So an M1 grand is more reliable than an AK47?
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Even when AIM Surplus had WASRs they were for $550. I think an AK is reliable but when you add in mags at $15 a pop you're already at $700 if you get 10 of them, which would be a reasonable amount. The typical AK right now is going for $700+

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Even when AIM Surplus had WASRs they were for $550. I think an AK is reliable but when you add in mags at $15 a pop you're already at $700 if you get 10 of them, which would be a reasonable amount. The typical AK right now is going for $700+

Austin
    I got my Saiga for less than $500... and even though they use different mags, the number of things to be modified (legally done) with the pricer/quality ratio is the best IMHO... tons of info online.

I never seen a used M1grand go lower than probably $800 or so, I want to build one myself but it sure aint as inexpensive as an AK.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    $495 (+shipping) for an M1 Garand through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). An M1 is reliable with the military ammo (or any ammo using an adjustable gas device). The ammo available through the CMP (30-06) is currently cheaper than .223, and comes on the en bloc clips. Of course they are running several months behind answering the mailed in orders.

An AK 47 style weapon is generally more reliable than almost anything else, and generally less accurate.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The Garand is a fine piece of history, and in it's time it was an excellent weapon platform, and a great tool in the hands of the allies. However, time has moved on.

The exception to this is that if you live in a state where a large amount of the more modern weaponry is banned. Or the implements that make them more desireable such as magazines over 10 rounds.

If this is going to be your only rifle for defense, I would suggest looking at towards some of the other listed options out there.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    An AK 47 style weapon is generally more reliable than almost anything else, and generally less accurate.
    that's why I opted for a PTR-91 combine the reliability of an AK with the accuracy of an AR only problem is you are looking at about $1200 for a new one may be able to find an old one, prior to JLD being bought out by PTR-91, for less

best of luck with choosing a riffle the SKS is a fine suggestion that has been made here :D

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Gotta stop posting late at night - I didn't mean to suggest the Garand is an assault style weapon, just that you can get one and ammo for a lot less than 8 bills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links