reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

This is a discussion on reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; looking for a tactical assault rifle that is both reliable and and has a good clean look and also accurate any advice is appreciated thank ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

reliable assault rifle for 500$ or less

looking for a tactical assault rifle that is both reliable and and has a good clean look and also accurate any advice is appreciated

thank you
    legalize it!

2. Remove Ads

Mini 14 might be a good one.

I am not knowledgeable about AR too much.

Welcome to the forum.

sorry first post i didnt mean fully auto shouldve been more spec. i already have a kel tec su16c im just lookin for another 556-223 or 22lr semiauto rifle with a clean look and 500 flat not being max price.
    but thank you u did clear up a nother question for me and ill clarify better next time thanks again
    legalize it!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    There are some Ak's out there that are great shooters and very dependable. Stay away from the Wasr's. Some (not all) had canted gas ports and sights. 7.62x39 is very controllable and is available. As much as any ammo is right now.
    Mini 14s are good and have great after market add ons available. 5.56 can also be found fairly easily.
    Saiga builds an excellent weapon and it is available in 7.62x39, 223 and 7.62x51(308).
    Keep your eyes open and these can be found for 500-600 dollars.
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined in with us. Lots of good info here!!!
    Last edited by Gunnutty; May 6th, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post

Mini 14 might be a good one.

I am not knowledgeable about AR too much.

Welcome to the forum.
    thanks for the advice and the welcome..ill do some research
    legalize it!

Welcome to the forum Kel Tec 223.

Based on your forum handle, I assume you own one? What's wrong with it? Why not continue to use it and save for a good AK-47 or AR-15?

Also, tactical is a bad word to some. So that's probably why you got a little flack. Let it roll off your back.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Since you already have a Keltec, I have one too, I would use it as a trade, or sell it outright, or put it in the back of the gun safe never to see the light of day again. I use mine for riding around on the floorboard of the truck when I'm at the Ranch. It's purpose is to shoot coyotes, or at least scare them off, and digest Wolf ammo, and any other crappy ammo I might have.

Now, with all that said, save your money and get a real AR. Your expirience with the Keltec may be different than mine, but I have found the Keltec to be a "jamamatic" of the first order. Sig is making an M4 version of their rifle in .22LR that is due out later this year if you want a .22LR. There is also an H&K MP5 "clone" on the market in .22LR. Again, that would be near your price range.

Personally I would save my money and look to buy a real AR in the next year or so. I think, bear in mind this is just my opinion, the price of AR's has reached it's peak for now and I look to see the prices come down a little bit in the near future. They won't go down to what they were, but they won't be as high as they have recently been either.

Lot's of people ran out and bought an over-priced AR recently. With the economy the way it is, I look to see some decent AR's for sale by guys and gals out of work and trying to pay their bills.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the site and have fun.
    Biker

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Welcome to the forum Kel Tec 223.

Based on your forum handle, I assume you own one? What's wrong with it? Why not continue to use it and save for a good AK-47 or AR-15?

Also, tactical is a bad word to some. So that's probably why you got a little flack. Let it roll off your back.
    i love my kel tec my first gun ever absoluty nothin wrong with it love everything about it i just wana new one haha im addicted

i just want a different feel and maybe even deifferent caliber since im not yet old enough to own a hand gun
    legalize it!

AK would be the least expensive and very reliable,.. It will shoot after being in a mud pit,. But there not as accurate,.. (downfall)..

How do you feel about 9MM, .40 or .45?

Beretta makes a kick A$$ new one called the CX4. Mine is in 9MM and is ultra reliable. No FTF / FTF / FTE issues at all. It will use the same pistol ammo you may already have. I purchased mine along with a Beretta 92FS and they both use the same 15rd magazine. Kinda nice to have around and to be able to use a very common ammo these days. They are right at $650.00
    2A is not negotiable

Exclamation Welcome...

to the forum!!

I've shot a friends SU-16 "charlie" and found it to be a pretty reliable rifle. He liked the fact that the handguards double as a bipod, and that it folded into itself for easy transport.

Having said that, I think that you should continue to save your $$ until you have double the figure you quote, as finding a decent tacticle rifle in that price range is doubtful at this time.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Aim Surplus is selling a WASR-10 for $500. Seems like a good deal to me. Just have to be aware that it's a lower end rifle.

Thank you all for the great! advice and the humble wellcomes
    you'll be seein me around this is a great forum for all advice
    thanks again!!
    legalize it!

Look into the SKS. It is more accurate then the AK, there are aftermarket stocks and such available for it, and you can find one for less then 300$. Also the mini-14 is a good choice but it will cost you a little more. AR's will be above your price range and AK's are junk in semi-auto IMO.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Buy an SKS and do not change the stock. Maybe do the firing pin and trigger upgrades but do not bubba a beautiful rifle.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links