yet another project!!

yet another project!!

This is a discussion on yet another project!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK guys and gals I have just acquired a new to me Winchester model 1300 defender introduction to the gun here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-shotgun.html . I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Talking yet another project!!

OK guys and gals I have just acquired a new to me Winchester model 1300 defender introduction to the gun here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-shotgun.html . I am designing(trying) a new stock (conversion kit) for it! What I want to know is what do you look for in a tactical shotgun? Length of gun? Accuracy? Capacity? Ease of use? The goal of this project is to create a stock conversion that will bring the overall length to 26" with a full stock not just a pistol grip. I also want it to be a bolt on conversion with minimal tools and skill. Here is my progress so far!(it wont let me upload the pics of my progress but it can be found in the thread above!)

thanks for all your input!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Under 26 inches equals a tax stamp FYI. Unless I have been mistaken.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    The goal of this project is to create a stock conversion that will bring the overall length to <23" with a full stock not just a pistol grip.
    Any shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches is legally a short barreled shotgun under the National Firearms Act (regardless of the barrel length). You'll need to buy the tax stamp and do the proper ATF paperwork if you want to make it that short.

dang even if the barrel is 18 inches? oh well now 26"!! lol
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    dang even if the barrel is 18 inches? oh well now 26"!! lol
    Yep. < 18" barrel or < 26" OAL = SBS
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Yep. < 18" barrel or < 26" OAL = SBS
    gotcha! gonna make it 26"!

ok so here is my progress so far..remember this is still a very ruff prototype. what do you think of the size, shape, ext..
    thanks!
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Are you trying to make a bullpup shotgun, because by the looks of your prototype pictures, the trigger would be way in front of the action just behind the forearm? That certainly doesn't look like it would be pleasant to shoot at the range either, given the extremely short stock.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Are you trying to make a bullpup shotgun, because by the looks of your prototype pictures, the trigger would be way in front of the action just behind the forearm? That certainly doesn't look like it would be pleasant to shoot at the range either, given the extremely short stock.
    Well I was not meaning to make a bullpup. I had never heard of it tell I Googled it! I plan on haveing air shocks to absorb some of the impact of recoil...I dont know if it will work or not.

Air shocks?? Get yourself a decent stock to put on that, a flashlight holder, and some buckshot. It's not like your going to be going to the range and shooting clay birds with it once a week. It just needs to work, and during the SHTF moment you won't even feel the recoil.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Air shocks?? Get yourself a decent stock to put on that, a flashlight holder, and some buckshot. It's not like your going to be going to the range and shooting clay birds with it once a week. It just needs to work, and during the SHTF moment you won't even feel the recoil.
    haha i should do that, but this is not my only shotgun i just got this gun to modify have some fun with and turn into a project!

You'll have to keep the barrel at least 18" long - which means that when you add 8 inches to make it 26 inches that is basically just the receiver. So if you go with the plans you have illustrated and come up with 26" OAL you're still going to have a short barreled shotgun because you're barrel length will be under 18 inches....

It is a cool idea - don't get me wrong. I would think you'd want to modify the pump so it is further out (on an 18" barrel) and rig up some sort of buttstock that attaches directly to the rear of the receiver. Using wood will be cheap and easy. I imagine the trigger is going to be the most difficult part - you'll probably end up using linkages of some kind - be sure to keep them concealed/contained somehow so they don't get bent or broken.

Good luck!

Austin

Ok I take it all back after looking at your pictures again.
    Last edited by aus71383; May 8th, 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: my bad

Curious, is that "rhino" or "inventor"?
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    You'll have to keep the barrel at least 18" long - which means that when you add 8 inches to make it 26 inches that is basically just the receiver. So if you go with the plans you have illustrated and come up with 26" OAL you're still going to have a short barreled shotgun because you're barrel length will be under 18 inches....

It is a cool idea - don't get me wrong. I would think you'd want to modify the pump so it is further out (on an 18" barrel) and rig up some sort of buttstock that attaches directly to the rear of the receiver. Using wood will be cheap and easy. I imagine the trigger is going to be the most difficult part - you'll probably end up using linkages of some kind - be sure to keep them concealed/contained somehow so they don't get bent or broken.

Good luck!

Austin

Ok I take it all back after looking at your pictures again.
    i guess you figured it out because of your edit but the barrel length stays the same. and yes the trigger will definitely the hardest part!

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    Curious, is that "rhino" or "inventor"?

i assume you are talking about the program i used to create the drawings?? it is Solid Edge.

I have decided to make the prototype out of dense foam. because it is cheap and easy to shape. once i get it just right i think i might use it to make a mold for the final product! we will see how it goes..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links