Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle

This is a discussion on Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just ribbing ya a little Chris - I agree it could stand to be a little longer, but to my eyes, a combat/service rifle should ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle

Just ribbing ya a little Chris - I agree it could stand to be a little longer, but to my eyes, a combat/service rifle should fit almost anybody. You can improvise if the stock is too short more easily than you can if it's too long.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    SKS - least amount of money ($150-200?), but non-detachable magazine and not real accurate, but reliable. 7.62x39

AK - a little more than the SKS ($350?), but detachable mags. 7.62x39

M1 Garand - pretty darn accurate, but heavy and 8 round clips of 30-06 (about $200 cheaper through DCM/CMP than on open market)

M1A - semi auto version of M14, detachable mag version of M1 Garand in 7.62x51 (military version of 308).

FAL - an adjustable gas system and detachable mags, comes in two flavors, metric and english. 7.62x51 (military version of 308)

AR's - most accurate, most sensitive to being dirty, very customizable, most common caliber is 5.56.

P95Carry, can't you order a TAPCO 2-loop trigger assembly and simply dremel out another slot in the bottom of the reciever. I believe that would solve the problem.

Assistant Administrator
    can't you order a TAPCO 2-loop trigger assembly and simply dremel out another slot in the bottom of the reciever.
    Ryan - yes I do plan to do a tweak - just that I only really remember every time I take the gun out!!! In between, other things sorta distract me.

One day it should happen but - don't hold your breath - I am a terrible procrastinator
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Me too! I've always liked the M1 Garand but have had too many other things I want. From what I've heard most civilians won't ever put their AR-15 through enough to cause malfunctions. But it would be nice to know your weapon will always function, thats why I like GLOCKs so much. At combat ranges I think the AK will do just fine.

PTR-91 (HK 91 copy-USA made). A tad over 6 bills, from Sarco. Roller-locked, as accurate as you can be, .308, cheap mags & parts. Gets good reviews on HK Pro, which says alot.
    http://www.jldenter.com/store/
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/guns14-4.html

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i would say start out with an sks of some sort , possibly one of the little paratrooper carbines if you can locate one , that would get your toe in the door with minimal investment , then as you get more into the rifle culture , and shoot other shooters rifles you will have more of an idea exacly what meets your needs as far as action , ergonomics, power , and expense goes .
    The sks isnt a " great" rifle but its fine out to 200 yrds or so and wont break the bank if you pitch it under the bed later for a spair lol

Chris,
    What rubber extension Greg? - I could do with lengthening this one - they are so short when it comes to conventional in the shoulder shooting.
    Its called a recoil pad & stock extender.
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/AK47/index.asp
    I didnt give a hoot about the recoil, it was a poorly fiting stock that I hated. Call me crazy, but I belive a rifle should fit a shooter.

Rob,
    The PTR-91 (HK 91 copy-USA made) looks very interesting. Thanks

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    75, also when I was researching rifles, I looked into the Ruger Mini-14 and the Mini-30. Check them out, they might be what your looking for.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5802&return=Y

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ifle&special=N
    Curry

BCurry1, Those Rugers look intersting! Question, in your research did you find any other magazine other than the 5 shot that will work in this gun? It would be a great gun if more capacity was there like an AK or ?.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    BCurry1, Those Rugers look intersting! Question, in your research did you find any other magazine other than the 5 shot that will work in this gun? It would be a great gun if more capacity was there like an AK or ?.
    Ti.
    Yes I did, heres a link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp
    Curry

Very cool, thanks for the link! That rifle just became a hot item to investigate further. Am I safe to assume that you did not end up getting one?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I really am having trouble deciding between the Mini-14 and the Bushmaster. I can get a Mini-14 for $629 or I can get a Bushmaster for $929. Right now I am leaning towards the Bushmaster, but I will be sure to let everyone know when I finally make a purchase.
    Curry

I had thought about the Rugers but I really don't like them all that much. I'd rather spend the money on something I'm really going to enjoy.

Lead Moderator
    Compared side to side the AR will typically be more accurate. Also Rugers no Hi cap mags avalible for civilians ticked me off. I will not give em any more of my money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links