Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle

This is a discussion on Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get a semi auto magazine fed rifle for self defense and range fun. I like Aks, ARs, SA Scout Squad Rifle, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Semi-Auto Rifle

I want to get a semi auto magazine fed rifle for self defense and range fun. I like Aks, ARs, SA Scout Squad Rifle, and DSA FALs. I'm not sure on which one to get. I'm leaning towards the AK for several reasons: reliability, simplicity, cheaper cost of weapon, cheaper ammo, would serve just fine for my purposes. I'd either get a VEPR K or some decent brand of AK that I can customize to fit my needs. I guess any semi would be fun for range plinking. Tell me what you think.

Assistant Administrator
    My pref' is for FAL - a rifle I find most versatile and accurate - but of course we need to also factor in economy.

Therefore I would say an AK is maybe the best first choice or - even a good SKS. The 7.62x39 is pretty useful to 200 yards IMO. I have an SAR1 and find it serves my needs just fine tho - do still intend to ''deal'' with trigger to reduce trigger slap - the reason my trigger still has a piece of silicon tube over trigger!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A lot of this is, how much money are you willing to spend and how much trouble are you willing to go through?

A semiautomatic magazine fed rifle that's combat viable is not cheap, honestly.

The VEPR is a nice option, the Saiga would be good too, as would an Arsenal. My only AK is my GP WASR10, and while it's fun and I like it, I honestly don't consider it anything better than a backup to a real weapon. Oh for sure it would kill you dead if you were shot with it, and it does well with Bernaul loads, it just seems kind of thrown together. What I'm trying to tell you is I like the AK47 platform, but if I were serious about it I'd try to get a SAR1 or something better.

The FAL is something I hope to pursue one day, and we have some FAL buffs here who I'll let comment.

I've gone with the Arfteen for now. I'm still honestly learning which end is the dangerous one. I'm in the process of acquiring an adequate supply of training and practice ammo to sight it in with and put it through its paces. It also needs to be rezeroed to M855 spec ammo, and I need a sling and some more magazines.

All of these platforms have their warts and you should read all the bad things about them. I personally feel like I made the right choice for me at the moment with the self built AR15.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    P95, I know I've said it before, and I've read it at least a dozen times. Kudos on the photos.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I want to get a semi auto magazine fed rifle for self defense and range fun. I like Aks, ARs, SA Scout Squad Rifle, and DSA FALs. I'm not sure on which one to get.
    Except for the SA Scout, I own all the above plus a few others...
    All are fun to shoot, and each occupies a different niche, but if I had to choose one rifle, it would be a choice between my Rock River AR15 and an M1 Garand.
    My $.02, YMMV
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    '75, I am currently in the same situation you are, I am looking for a new defensive rifle. After doing alot of research, I have decided on a Bushmaster. Try searching some of the old threads here, there is alot of info. I also read alot of other forums for advice. Theres alot of good info out there.
    Curry

Lead Moderator
    Maybe check out
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/active.html?b=&f=

they have a AK side of the site as well, so it's not all AR info and bias. nothing wrong with an AK or AR or any other battle proven design for a defensive rifle. As long as it does what you need it to, reliably.

I've been doing alot of research for a very long time, especially when I was thinking about building an AK. I think any one of them would serve me well. I've been on AR15.com for a while. B1Curry you should look into Rock River Arms, my friend has one and it is a very well built firearm. I believe it is the Entry Tactical and he has added a EoTech Holosight. I don't really care for the Wasr 10s they don't get alot of love from the factory. I saw a Norinco at a gunshow several weeks ago that was in perfect condition for $400. I passed but will look into a Vepr K, Norinco, SAR-1 when I save enough $$$. Only problem with the Vepr K is it is very heavy which defeats the advantage of the handiness the normal AKs have.

Eather Fal or M14 for me. Im not a big fan of .223 on two leged vermin.

Chris,
    Does that red thing on your Romainian trigger do a good job from keeping the "trigger slap" down?

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#fbispec

Good enough for 2 legged critters in my book...

Assistant Administrator
    Does that red thing on your Romainian trigger do a good job from keeping the "trigger slap" down?
    Greg - no cure but it does help some. Without it after a 30 round mag I can feel some significant discomfort - with that it is just an annoying slight whack each time.

All that is is a short length of 6mm industrial silicon tubing - similar i guess to surgical tubing. I'd like to either mod' the trigger or even better get a Tapco unit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jar - complement much appreciated re the pics - I always hope they will be pleasing to the eye.
    Chris - P95

It looks like your rifle has the same finish as my old Romanian. I had a similar setup also. Except I had an UltiMak scout mount w/h a Millet red dot, and a rubber extension on my stock.

Assistant Administrator
    What rubber extension Greg? - I could do with lengthening this one - they are so short when it comes to conventional in the shoulder shooting.
    Chris - P95

You guys are crazy. The short stock is the best part!

Assistant Administrator
    The short stock is the best part!
    Might be for you Euc but hey - I am broad up top - and have somewhat apelike long arms (shhh, don't tell Bruce!) - and so find many longarms just too danged short. My 12G SxS shottie has 2" added!!!
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links