HD question... need quick answer

This is a discussion on HD question... need quick answer within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 22 rifle I leave by the door for such a case where its needed. Now I recently got into it with another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD question... need quick answer

HD question... need quick answer

I have a 22 rifle I leave by the door for such a case where its needed.

Now I recently got into it with another guy and I'm concerned that the fight might be brought to my home.

If this problem comes knocking on my door, with strong intent to harm myself or my family, is this an action where my HD rifle comes into play?

Obviously I call the police, but if there's a knock at my door and I cant see the individual standing outside, and I open the door without thinking about it. If its the individual I'm thinking of, am I within my rights to protect my home?

What if I catch the individual walking up to my home?

2. Remove Ads

I'm not an attorney, and I've never played one on TV. If your query were formatted a bit differently, I might reply with some form of common sense scenario. The way it is portrayed at this time, I would respectfully suggest you have one of the moderators remove or edit your post as it sounds like a pre-disposition of a possible circumstance. There are more ways to settle arguments in this world than a deadly confrontation, and judging by the context of your statements, I can honestly say that in my opinion, it sounds like you're baiting a deer into your back yard out of hunting season. My apologies for any misunderstanding, but that's my opinion, and initial reaction to what you've portrayed.
    What if I catch the individual walking up to my home?
    Do you have no trespassing signs posted? Have you reported any previous instances that might lead one to believe there may be malicious intent in the future?

It was a minor altercation that occurred. The event happened and was done with, but I dont put it past this individual to come seeking further problems by bringing them to my home.

What I was asking, is under such a circumstance, where do my rights stand?

At this time, there's no further concern for the matter, nor did I tell the person to come seek me out. I'm just concerned about if that matter comes to such a level.

EDIT: And the part about "catching the individual walking up to my house" isn't meant like I'm sitting on my front porch with the gun in my hand, just that if I walk outside to throw trash away or walk the dog and see the individual coming.

If you are outside and see the individual coming toward your home, I would go inside the house. If you have reason to believe something is going to happen for whatever reason, then by all means, call police. You want to avoid anything further. If you ticked this individual off really bad, then you might try making amends before anything else has a chance to happen.
    I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were laying in wait, it just seemed to me that you had not considered other options.

I left this situation and put it behind me, but in the back of my mind, I'm worried this will be brought to my family and its honestly them I'm worried about.

Lock the doors, call the cops and hope for the best.

Is there some place I can read up on the statues of protecting one's home and property?

Quote Originally Posted by DAllan10483 View Post
    Lock the doors, call the cops and hope for the best.
    that is the best. you may have your weapon close, but no not open the door, do not talk through the door. wait for police.

sence you posted on a PUBLIC site, everything you say, do or type will be misinterpeted IF anything happens.

correct steps?
    #1 call an lawer and get advice.
    #2 if needed get a restraining order (paper trail)
    #3 never post anything that can be construed as premedatated online.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

The first thing I would do is NOT open my door. The minute you hear anyone knocking on your door the first thing that should come to mind is who is it on the other side of the door and his/her intentions. Don't open the door until you are certain of that persons intentions.

If it is the person who in some way, shape or form could threaten your home the first thing I would do is call the cops. This rule should apply to anyone in your home who routinely answers the door.

Unless your life is in immanent danger you really shouldn't be bringing a firearm of any caliber to bear on anybody. The first thing anyone in your home should be doing is looking through the peep hole in your door. If it's the person that has an issue with you the first thing I would be doing is call the cops. Even if the person who has issues with you starts damaging your person property that is not a time to be using deadly force.

I'm no attorney, but trying to defend yourself after shooting someone who was only damaging property is not a valid reason to use deadly force.

Long story short, DO keep a weapon available if this individual puts a life in danger. Where you keep this weapon is entirely up to you. If it's a property crime, this is not a reason to use deadly force. Call the police first!

But that's my humble opinion for what that's worth.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by DAllan10483 View Post
    Obviously I call the police, but if there's a knock at my door and I cant see the individual standing outside, and I open the door without thinking about it.
    If you're worried about someone nasty coming to your house, don't open the door until you know who's outside! If you don't have a good view, put in a peephole, or a camera or something so you can know who is outside.

Some basic rules here...

First of all, avoid confrontations at all costs...this makes you look like you're part of the problem.

Secondly, make a paper trail. If this doofus is really trying to start something, file a report.

Thirdly, if this guy comes to your door, do not open the door and do not make any contact with this 'trouble' looking for a place to happen. Then enlarge the paper trail...

Finally, get a bigger gun... a .22 could work, but I'd prefer something with a little more 'substance' to it. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Certain key words in your opening post, such as "recently got into it" and "fight," indicate I that I should not give you any advice whatsoever. I don't participate in ongoing fights.

You should have worded this all differently from the start.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Certain key words in your opening post, such as "recently got into it" and "fight," indicate I that I should not give you any advice whatsoever. I don't participate in ongoing fights.

You should have worded this all differently from the start.

Ok now that the above is out of the way: Do what retsupt99 said.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Based on your posts I would say you are asking for trouble. If someone you had an argument with comes to your house with "strong intent" to harm your and your family, and you were anticipating this, and you open the door.....you are wrong.

Austin

Administrator
    "and I cant see the individual standing outside, and I open the door without thinking about it."

1) ~ Buy a "through~the~door peephole" so that you can always look and see exactly who it is standing on the other side of your door.

2) ~ Always think before you open your door.

Problem solved for under $9.99

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Some basic rules here...

First of all, avoid confrontations at all costs...this makes you look like you're part of the problem.

Secondly, make a paper trail. If this doofus is really trying to start something, file a report.

Thirdly, if this guy comes to your door, do not open the door and do not make any contact with this 'trouble' looking for a place to happen. Then enlarge the paper trail...

Finally, get a bigger gun... a .22 could work, but I'd prefer something with a little more 'substance' to it. OMO
    The confrontation is done and over with. It wasn't any physical confrontation, just a angry dispute. I WAS concerned that the issue might be brought to my home, and of course, I shouldn't think of engaging in any manner and let the cops do their job and file the proper paperwork.

As for the gun, it was my father's. I have a 9mm, but I dont leave that loaded... I want to get my concealed before using that for protection.

Sorry if I came across making people believe they could be giving me advice used in a court of law, and you're all right. But I do appreciate the advice I did get, and again, sorry if I put any of you in a questionable position. It was not my intention. No action has been taken and I feel the worry is behind me.

On a further note, I would like to read the actual laws concerning Home Defense so that I may know exactly when and when not to draw a weapon. If someone knows a government link I can look at for this, It'd be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "and I cant see the individual standing outside, and I open the door without thinking about it."

1) ~ Buy a "through~the~door peephole" so that you can always look and see exactly who it is standing on the other side of your door.

2) ~ Always think before you open your door.

Problem solved for under $9.99
    I do have one, but the outside is not always clearly visible. I'm going to try to fix that tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links