Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old? - Page 2

Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

This is a discussion on Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bunny .... I think it's fear. That we'll be his cartoonish stereotype of a Southern family. Poor guy, had no clue what ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I think it's fear. That we'll be his cartoonish stereotype of a Southern family. Poor guy, had no clue what he was marrying into! :)

If that's the case, then taking it easy and showing him how responsible your son is should fix it IMO.

Good managers get people to do what the manager needs. Good leaders get people to want to do what the leader needs.

If you can get him to see that it's a logical step in the development of your sons character and a reward for responsibility you'll win the battle without even trying.

Good luck.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I find this really funny, I know its not, but it is to me. My dads a Michigan yankee, my moms a southerner. My dads the gun nut, my mom doesnt mind them. I got my first rifle at 7, and my first handgun at 21, CCW permit at 23, and shotgun at 24. My girlfriend is a better pistol shot then me. I just find this all really funny from my standpoint.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Set him straight....

HEY!! LeCasey, I am from Michigan and have owned, used and encouraged gun use my whole life. I think you mean your wife is from Detroit, we don't recognize them as part of Michigan, they are like DC, an independent non-state.

Very interesting, I am a 16th generation yankee and I'll never own enough guns, so forgive me if I bristle at the "yankee" reference. (I know you're just kidding.) I'd smack him upside the head and say something like:

" Listen up maggot, you are one lucky moron! You have a smokin hot wife who Loves guns! In case you were absent the day they covered this in school, it don't get any better than that, so stow it and get in the car, we're going to the range so junior here can show you his new skills! Any questions? Good, now move it, move it"

This is all said in a USMC DI voice, don't use the USA DI voice, its too girly!

Good luck

NRA Life member

GOA member

Dont argue with hubby lol. Its a no-win situation. J/K of course, but no one knows your husband as well as you do so it is really a private matter IMO. I see people posting on here for advice to talk to there spouse for one thing or another, i think some things should just be your personal buisness but thats just me.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I think you mean your wife is from Detroit, we don't recognize them as part of Michigan, they are like DC, an independent non-state.
    Slam....you are close enough to be right

BUT it just goes to show you that with the right amount of education and encouragement, you can turn them until they not only agree with you but they may even enjoy themselves.
    2A is not negotiable

ROFL!

He's come a long way in 11 years. Give me more time, I'll keep working on him!
    ...Converting Yankees to our cause 11 years at a time.

Seriously though, I second the other thoughts on getting them more involved together. I suspect the fear factor dwindles a bit once he's been there and see's the whole safety aspect ongoing.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Set him straight....

Oh how true.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Set him straight....

Bwaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa How true.... and yet hilarious!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

My son had his first .22 around 6 years old. He's an outstanding attorney today, so I guess I didn't destroy him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

So, after I posted the pics of my son getting his "small-bore certification" at the range, two things happened.

1) Bunny Jr. wants a rifle of his very own so he can come to the range with Mom. Also mentioned maybe getting into some competitive shooting.

2) Yankee husband suddenly dug his heels in and said "NO GUNS FOR MY BOY!"

Actually, there were many words. Some included were "redneck," "gun-nut," etc. Let me clarify that after 11 years of marriage, he was actually SHOCKED when I bought a pick-up truck last Spring. Poor guy. I guess where he's from (bad part of an area in NJ), people don't randomly wave at you, or strike up a conversation unless you're about to get mugged. He's a little out of his element here in the South.

Anyhow, our son is upset now. He wants his own rifle, and personally, I think he should have one. OBVIOUSLY it would be kept in a safe, unloaded, unless we were heading to the range, and the kid's had safety drilled into his head ad-nauseum. And I still plan on continuing to do so.

So, how to get my husband to see the light?

I was thinking of getting him to come to the range with us and watch the kid with his instructors . Maybe when he sees how safe it is, and how much fun our boy is having, he'll change his mind? He bought me a gun for my birthday, and a bunch of accessories for our anniversary/Mother's Day, so there's hope for him yet, right? How do I make him see that buying our son a rifle won't turn him into some "crazy redneck extremist gun-nut," exactly?

Thanks!

--Bunny
    If guns and shooting related activities turned people into "crazy extremists" then past decades ago when they actually had shooting ranges on High School campuses would be significantly more violent than today's school system... but the reverse is true were even a student hinting in being interested in shooting/guns could get them in trouble with teachers (so called "zero tolerance" garbage they got implemented now). Long ago, some children were EXPECTED to be able to help put food on the table (especially in hard times such as the great depression) with rimfires etc, did they turn into "crazy extremists?"

Cadets/boy scouts etc should be good for young people, it could help build character and I don't see anything wrong with young people getting involved in the shooting sports, as sporting activities can also build character and responsibility... I would personally mention the safety aspects of shooting, and that it is sporting activity as well practiced around the world... and are those Olympians "crazy extremists" too? Nothing more than offensive stigmas that can be thrown out with proper exposure.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Bunny, are you from NC? or are you a yankee too? LOL

Just wondering.

My wife is a true cracker...born and raised in Florida.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Bunny, are you from NC? or are you a yankee too? LOL

Just wondering.

My wife is a true cracker...born and raised in Florida.
    ehhhhh...it's a long story?
    I'm a former Navy brat, so technically I'm not from anywhere. But I spent more time (my entire teens) in Virginia than all other areas combined, can we count that? And then several years in Florida.

My "twang" is distinctly southern. It's usually in check, but if I get flustered or upset, it comes out something like "yew or such uh jerk!" LOL
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

LOL that is awesome. OK so Virginia and Florida. Ill give you a pass as a southern girl.

Now about that hubby of yours.

You want me to invite him over to shoot? LOL
    New tunes added.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links