Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

This is a discussion on Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive really never heard of the dads not wanting there kid to have a gun, its usually the moms like in the movie A Christmas ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

Ive really never heard of the dads not wanting there kid to have a gun, its usually the moms like in the movie A Christmas Story, you'll shoot your eye out! but anyways im sure he will come around when he sees how much you and your son enjoy shooting and maybe even want to start himself. has he shot your gun that he bought you?
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    All American -- yes, please! ;)
    Jrod -- no, he hasn't. He's never shot anything but the little guy's plastic pellet guns. And he managed to take out the lights on the ceiling fan with it.

Well, I did what y'all recommended, I asked him to come to the range on Saturday. He said YES! (There is a CCW class at ours, given by the same instructors Bunny Jr. and I have) I asked if he would take the class, he said YES!

Now, let's see if he actually does it though...but I'd be thrilled if he used my gun at the range part!

Wish me luck!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

thats awesome, my wife was the same way didnt want any guns in the house since our baby was born, but about a month after he was born somebody tried to break in on us and ever since then she doesnt mind my shotgun sitting out or me getting a handgun when i turn 21 she is learning how to shoot and wants a handgun of her own. good luck Bunny i hope it goes well, let me and everyone know how it goes.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    All American -- yes, please! ;)
    Jrod -- no, he hasn't. He's never shot anything but the little guy's plastic pellet guns. And he managed to take out the lights on the ceiling fan with it.

Well, I did what y'all recommended, I asked him to come to the range on Saturday. He said YES! (There is a CCW class at ours, given by the same instructors Bunny Jr. and I have) I asked if he would take the class, he said YES!

Now, let's see if he actually does it though...but I'd be thrilled if he used my gun at the range part!

Wish me luck!
    Slow but sure, he'll come around.
    It took my wife decades, but she finally did a 180......sounds like he's already making the turn.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm going to simply 2nd everything BikerRN said in posts 3 & 6 and again I thank God I married a Southern woman who likes to shoot.

Good luck Bunny!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Slow but sure, he'll come around.
    It took my wife decades, but she finally did a 180......sounds like he's already making the turn.
    I've been trying for ten years to get my to the range, not luck yet.

Sounds like things are progressing nicely. Just let him go at his own pace and like suggested earlier, if he objects to your son owning a rifle, find out the real reasons or if it's an age thing, find out what he thinks would be an appropriate age.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I've been trying for ten years to get my to the range, not luck yet.
    Well, he asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day. I kind of had him at that point Sneaky? Maybe. But I'm thinking I'm still right for doing it.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Administrator
    Go Here + there are some relevant links on that page also.
    27-06 YOUNG SHOOTERS

Go Here & Scroll down to Boy Scout Shoot.
    SHOW 26-10

Also go here.
    28-09 AMU JRs

He'll come around. You guys arent that far away so maybe Ill join you at the range one day. Let me know.

Plus, chicks with guns are sexy. How could he resist that?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Finally know how many new shooters it takes to change the lights on a ceiling fan!:)

I suspect he may be projecting a tad. After a bit of coaching, and the feeling of accomplishment one gets from learning new skills, control, and safety, one can appreciate the shooting sports and support those dear to us who enjoy them, too.

Congratulations on getting to the "YES." If I'm right, soon you'll have to guard the family food budget against guns and ammo purchases. Wait until the reloading dragon rears its head!

Like to hear how it goes, so I can learn how to get to the yes, too. thanks
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

simple

You taught Bunny Jr gun safety, range rules, shooting and a new, fun sport where he can grow and learn in. Hey he might just win some competitions so... whats the problem?

In my experience most who dislike guns only dislike them because they know next to nothing about guns and what little that they do know is either misinformation or disinformation put out by media anti-gunners.

I remember foundly the times I spent hunting with my mom since I was 5 years old. 21 years later we still carry on about hunting and shooting competitions that we shared in.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

My Dad bought himself a Marlin 39D, when I was 4 years old. I started shooting it as soon as I could hold it up long enough to fire it safely. I called it mine for as long as I recall. At 16, he allowed me to hang it on the wall in my room, not in the den with the other rifles. I still have that Marlin.

My 12 year old daughter and my soon to be 10 year old daughter have both gone with me to the range to shoot it. Truthfully, both of them prefer the Ruger 10/22, but still...

I've always believed that it is much easier to gun proof a kid, than it is to kid proof a gun. Teaching the basics of gun safety at an early age is important. Sure, your guns might be locked safely away from the kids, but how about all of their friends houses? No sense in betting on that one...

Taking a kid shooting, and often, helps eliminate the mysterious nature of guns. Kids love guns, and if not taught better, can and will pick one up when they find it.

Teaching them safety and taking away the mystery gives your kids the opportunity to make good decisions if they find a gun anywhere. Will an uneducated child burning adrenaline during a "discovery" of a gun react properly, or will your well educated and experienced child stand a better chance of walking away, and telling an adult what they found?

P.S. the 12 year old has also fired my XD-45...

My girls shooting at 25 yards:

12 yrs:
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...0405091716.jpg

10 this month:
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...0405091722.jpg
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

P.S. again, my wife still plays "Make Believe" that there are no guns in our house...

She is as anti, as anyone gets...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I'm very impressed with Matiki's input and think he may have given in too early.

I think our culture has traditionally shown guns as a bonding experiance between father and son. Maybe he really wishes he had a better way to bond and spend time with his son. With you sharing this activity with your son, he may actually be jealous on some hidden level. Since he isn't as comfortable with guns, he can't step into the role. But if he stands in your way, then maybe he'll have some other oportunity to bond. Few men can probably feel comfortable admitting to their wife that they are jealous of the relationship they have with their son.

Just another possible option....
    Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; May 13th, 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling of member's alias
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links