Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

This is a discussion on Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff I'm very impressed with what Mataki's input and think he may have given in too early. I think our culture has ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I'm very impressed with what Mataki's input and think he may have given in too early.

I think our culture has traditionally shown guns as a bonding experiance between father and son. Maybe he really wishes he had a better way to bond and spend time with his son. With you sharing this activity with your son, he may actually be jealous on some hidden level. Since he isn't as comfortable with guns, he can't step into the role. But if he stands in your way, then maybe he'll have some other oportunity to bond. Few men can probably feel comfortable admitting to their wife that they are jealous of the relationship they have with their son.

Just another possible option....
    +1 great insight!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I admire your sharing this with your son, I look forward to sharing it with my daughter, who has been expressing a lot of interest lately. Mom is going to take a lot of convincing!

+ 1 on the 10/22, nice rifle and perfect size for your son.

So, how to get my husband to see the light?
    Well the way I see it you are a family, so it should be a democratic vote. 2 to 1, you and your son win by majority :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

Thanks, all, for the advice. Guess what? HE'S GOING TO THE RANGE ON SATURDAY!!!!!!

Actually, he's taking the CCW class with my instructors, and got our neighbor's hubby to come along too, AND he'll be using my Sig P239 to qualify with.

But wait, there's more! Our DC-meet-up is there on Saturday as well, so he will be able to meet some more experienced folks who can assure him that owning a gun doesn't make you an inbred hillbilly! Woohoo!!!! Thanks everyone who gave advice and future thanks to all who are coming to shoot on Saturday!

(Will be posting pics for sure)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

Thanks, all, for the advice. Guess what? HE'S GOING TO THE RANGE ON SATURDAY!!!!!!

Actually, he's taking the CCW class with my instructors, and got our neighbor's hubby to come along too, AND he'll be using my Sig P239 to qualify with.

But wait, there's more! Our DC-meet-up is there on Saturday as well, so he will be able to meet some more experienced folks who can assure him that owning a gun doesn't make you an inbred hillbilly! Woohoo!!!! Thanks everyone who gave advice and future thanks to all who are coming to shoot on Saturday!

Good news glad to hear it

Thats how it starts..simple trip to the range and
    then...shooting gets in your blood.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Just buy "yourself" a 10/22 or whatever rifle your wanting to get him. And whenever you want to take him shooting let him shoot "your" rifle since it fits him best out of all the others.
    This might have some merrit depending on your hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Is it legal now for Americans to marry Yankees?!

No good can come of this.
    Remember there are four parts of the country not just two. There is the South, the North, the West and the Southwest. It's important to know your geography.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

VIP Member
    My wife is from Oklahoma, I'm from Indiana (although I've been gone longer than I lived there). I've spent more than half my 58 years between SC, VA and OK. The first time I met her dad was a Sunday during football season and I let sacrilegious words flow from my lips by saying I'm not a Dallas Cowboy fan. Later that night she ask him what he thought of me. His reply to her was: "I guess he's ok for a damn foreigner!" While he did do some bird hunting and I believe he used to deer hunt, he never had handguns. The first time I took the wife shooting she was hooked. She's not as rabid on guns as I am (she only has 5), but she does have her CC permit. I guess the point is not all us born "Yankee's" are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Remember there are four parts of the country not just two. There is the South, the North, the West and the Southwest. It's important to know your geography.
    Now that is a really good observation. Excellent!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My wife is from Oklahoma, I'm from Indiana (although I've been gone longer than I lived there). I've spent more than half my 58 years between SC, VA and OK. The first time I met her dad was a Sunday during football season and I let sacrilegious words flow from my lips by saying I'm not a Dallas Cowboy fan. Later that night she ask him what he thought of me. His reply to her was: "I guess he's ok for a damn foreigner!" While he did do some bird hunting and I believe he used to deer hunt, he never had handguns. The first time I took the wife shooting she was hooked. She's not as rabid on guns as I am (she only has 5), but she does have her CC permit. I guess the point is not all us born "Yankee's" are bad.
    Hmmm...I don't know if I would personally count you as a Yankee. I usually just think those in the Northeast, from New England on down through parts of MD, I guess.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

I am a redneck, but not an inbred hillbilly. I am from Alabama, I drive a pickup truck, I own guns, but I don't use tobacco of any sort, I don't drink, and my wife is not even distantly related to me. I have two masters degrees and a doctorate. I am employed by an institution of higher learning as reference librarian, before that I was director of information technology. I have studied four foreign languages: French, German, Greek, and Hebrew. Occasionally I teach courses in church history or theology here at the college. I read about 150 to 200 books per year in a variety of fields. This week for fun I read an article in the March issue of Scientific American entitled "Was Einstein Wrong?: A Quantum Threat to Special Relativity." It was about quantum mechanics and I understood about 95% of it. So I would say gun owning hasn't hurt me. But I am still a redneck and proud of it.

Feel free to use me as an example of the effect gun ownership and concealed carry have on individuals if you so desire. Sometimes I take great pleasure in explaining to someone with an accent that indicates that he or she "ain't from around here" and a condescending attitude just who and what I am. In Alabama that is called giving someone their "comeuppance" and it is a lot of fun. I'm sure your husband does not need that, after all he did have the good sense to marry above his station.

Have a great time at the range.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Just buy "yourself" a 10/22 or whatever rifle your wanting to get him. And whenever you want to take him shooting let him shoot "your" rifle since it fits him best out of all the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    As others have indicated, I think the key is getting your husband and son to the range together to shoot. It took my wife some time to come around (the one positive thing from the November election was it kicked her interest into overdrive (she doesn't like being told what she can/cannot do!)). My 8 & 11 year olds are doing great with their .22 rifles. We are very adamant on the safety aspects of shooting, but keep it fun by mixing things up with some reactive targets (pop cans, clays, bowling pins, silhouettes etc ... We also do some "games" like who can knock down the targets the fastest etc ... (which if done right also give you a good opportunity to emphasize safety alongside accuracy and speed).

I second the Ruger 10/22 suggestion. Great little rifle that can be modified to your heart and wallets content! :-)

As for some of the terms like "Redneck" etc ... only if you fail to properly instill safety and respect into the experience. I have family and friends that view any form of shooting as something pursued by rednecks, low-life's ... pick a generic term. Most of the time it's simply not worth debating as they've made their minds up. I may be alone in this regard, but I also avoid wearing camo at the range as I think it leads some to the wrong conclusions, clearly no alcohol anywhere close to a firearm etc ... all part of being responsible - IMHO

I agree! There is no use debating with an AG LIB.
    Buy one! Your hubby will get over it. (After all- Bunny Jr. is YOUR son too!!)

Bunny,
    Explain to your husband that shooting is a sport. An outdoor sport,something that is good for kids, builds character,confidence,discipline etc. have Mr.Bunny take Lil Bunny camping, fishing, shooting etc ( or you can handle the shooting). It builds a good bond between father and son, especially with the teenage years fast approaching, it's good insurance to have Lil Bunny Jr into good clean outdoor sports and activities.
    Does Big Bunny have a gun or like to shoot ?

Definately a 10/22 for starters. Its a great .22 and reliable. I have one and have a blast with it (especially with the suppressor ) and never have any issues with it. If you get a Hogue stock for it it lightens it up quite a bit. next time hubby goes to the quickie mart ask him to get you some chew that`ll get him
    ...trust me, I know what I`m doing..

UPDATE --

Well, we went to the range today.

It didn't go nearly as well as I'd hoped. Mr. Bunny was supposed to take his CCH class (which is at the range, but in another area in a classroom) with my neighbor's hubby (she took it with me last month) and Jr. and I were going to shoot all morning. Then, when it was time to qualify, Mr. Bunny was going to do it on my gun...my instructors were kind enough to bring it, plus a Walther P22 and a Ruger 10/22 for Jr.

He didn't make it past the first 3 hours of class. Came down to the range and started...what's the word? Rhymes with "itching," I think...about not being at home so he could work, and how this little trip of ours was costing the family a hefty paycheck because it meant he was out of the office, and how guns weren't his "thing" and he didn't get it, etc.

Bunny Jr., in an attempt to impress his dad, lost his fool head and EVERYTHING we have drilled into him about safety and technique, form, safety, stance, oh and did I mention SAFETY went clear out the window. I finally told him if I EVER saw his finger on the trigger without being right ready to shoot, or if he pointed the gun (loaded or not) anywhere but downrange, that would be the last time he ever even THOUGHT about going shooting. No trips to the range, no hunting, no guns, not even a single BB.

Then the CCH class let out for lunch and the instructors came down to the range while another guy taught the next part of the class. ASSA9 came down, which was cool, I got to meet him. Buny Jr. had straightened up at this point and I did manage to convince Mr. Bunny to shoot one round from my Sig. I think the zombie Osama target was the kicker :) He ended up shooting 4 mags' worth, but said he didn't like it and wasn't very good, he'd just stick with video games.

He did say that it was fun to watch me shoot, and that he likes the fact that I'm decent at it and so he's happy with me being the "gun person" in the house. (Also I'm a better shot than him, but that would change if he'd come out and practice. Duh.)

So...Bunny Jr. has to PROVE that he can get excited but still keep his head and remember the important stuff he was taught. I was prepared to back off the rifle thing for a bit until I saw that he was mature enough to do so, but Mr. Bunny put his foot down and said that based on what he'd seen, no way. I can't say I blame him. Darn it!

But after 11 years of comic book conventions, he at least came out to the range for me today, I'd say that's a huge step. Now he can get back to work and earn money for me to spend some time at Blackwater, right?

*sigh*

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

And Dr_cmg? I'm with ya...proud to be a redneck as well! :)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links