Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

This is a discussion on Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, after I posted the pics of my son getting his "small-bore certification" at the range, two things happened. 1) Bunny Jr. wants a rifle ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Help with convincing Hubby? Rifle for 10 year old?

So, after I posted the pics of my son getting his "small-bore certification" at the range, two things happened.

1) Bunny Jr. wants a rifle of his very own so he can come to the range with Mom. Also mentioned maybe getting into some competitive shooting.

2) Yankee husband suddenly dug his heels in and said "NO GUNS FOR MY BOY!"

Actually, there were many words. Some included were "redneck," "gun-nut," etc. Let me clarify that after 11 years of marriage, he was actually SHOCKED when I bought a pick-up truck last Spring. Poor guy. I guess where he's from (bad part of an area in NJ), people don't randomly wave at you, or strike up a conversation unless you're about to get mugged. He's a little out of his element here in the South.

Anyhow, our son is upset now. He wants his own rifle, and personally, I think he should have one. OBVIOUSLY it would be kept in a safe, unloaded, unless we were heading to the range, and the kid's had safety drilled into his head ad-nauseum. And I still plan on continuing to do so.

So, how to get my husband to see the light?

I was thinking of getting him to come to the range with us and watch the kid with his instructors . Maybe when he sees how safe it is, and how much fun our boy is having, he'll change his mind? He bought me a gun for my birthday, and a bunch of accessories for our anniversary/Mother's Day, so there's hope for him yet, right? How do I make him see that buying our son a rifle won't turn him into some "crazy redneck extremist gun-nut," exactly?

Thanks!

--Bunny
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Well, competition shooting is a sport. I did this since age 12 or so. Perhaps taking your husband out is the best way. That way he can see how safe it is and how much your son enjoys shooting.
    Give your husband some time to come around and maybe let him shoot with just the 2 of you another time. Sometimes people are afraid of what they don't understand.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Bunny, it sounds like your husband and my wife are cut from the same cloth.

My "better half" is from down under and wasn't raised around guns. When we first got married she would point at a holstered gun and tell me, "Put that away." Now, if she wants a gun moved she just picks it up and moves it. She also not a bad shot.

It takes time, and people fear what they don't know. Being a Yankee he probably thinks your son will be a tobacco chewing, pick-up truck driving, country music listening Redneck by the time he reaches High School, I was! :D

I would take your husband out shooting with you and the kid stressing safety at all times. You should be doing this all the time anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe when your husband sees how safe you two are he will come around.

Yes, Yankees do think differently and quite frankly it's very few Yankees I will let cross the frame of my door, but that's niether here nor there. Good luck and welcome back home.

Biker

Just buy "yourself" a 10/22 or whatever rifle your wanting to get him. And whenever you want to take him shooting let him shoot "your" rifle since it fits him best out of all the others.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

DCT
    As others have indicated, I think the key is getting your husband and son to the range together to shoot. It took my wife some time to come around (the one positive thing from the November election was it kicked her interest into overdrive (she doesn't like being told what she can/cannot do!)). My 8 & 11 year olds are doing great with their .22 rifles. We are very adamant on the safety aspects of shooting, but keep it fun by mixing things up with some reactive targets (pop cans, clays, bowling pins, silhouettes etc ... We also do some "games" like who can knock down the targets the fastest etc ... (which if done right also give you a good opportunity to emphasize safety alongside accuracy and speed).

I second the Ruger 10/22 suggestion. Great little rifle that can be modified to your heart and wallets content! :-)

As for some of the terms like "Redneck" etc ... only if you fail to properly instill safety and respect into the experience. I have family and friends that view any form of shooting as something pursued by rednecks, low-life's ... pick a generic term. Most of the time it's simply not worth debating as they've made their minds up. I may be alone in this regard, but I also avoid wearing camo at the range as I think it leads some to the wrong conclusions, clearly no alcohol anywhere close to a firearm etc ... all part of being responsible - IMHO
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

As for some of the terms like "Redneck" etc ...
    I wear the title of Redneck with honor.

To me, it has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with independance, integrity and willingness to face the harsh realities of life without government intervetion.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    your son will be a pick-up truck driving, country music listening Redneck by the time he reaches High School, I was! :D
    Biker
    ROFL, Biker! You say that like it's a BAD thing!

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I am trying to find a convenient time for Mr. Workaholic to get out to the range with us (including our instructors) so he can see for himself. So far it sounds like you all are in agreement -- having him there and participating, and seeing the SAFETY aspect is probably the way to go. Thanks!

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

I feel you pain on this topic. My wife is from Michigan originally and things guns are for rednecks. My 2 boys are getting older and are showing an interest in MY passtime. She is reluctantly coming around and just wants to make sure they will be safe. As a mother, she cannot bear the thought of one of her kids getting hurt or worse at the range but she also knows if done safely, it can be an enjoyable passtime. Just keep working on him and keep up the pressure. Eventually he will either submit reluctantly or maybe even join in the effort.

FYI: When I was very young, I took several saftey courses including the BB gun one from 4H and the Boy Scouts. 4H might be a good place to start that is a little more palletable for a New Jersey native. Google 4H gun safety for some offerings in your area.
    2A is not negotiable

Is this a Twilight Zone episode? Wife says Yes...Husband says No to a gun?

HE should check out corneredcat.com
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I want to add to what the others have said by sharing some of my personal experience from a decade of sales. Typically the objection that is disclosed is not the objection that stands in your way. In addition to exposing him to shooting, you may want to find a way to discuss how your husband feels about guns and see if discussion prompts disclosure of other concerns. For example, he may actually be objecting to guns at his age, the perceived expense of a rifle, or the maturity of your son. There are all kinds of things that may be concerning to him, but he does not wish to share those concerns for fear of increasing tension between the two of you even more.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Matiki -- I think he's fine with guns and the expense. He just bought me a gun, and the Little Guy is actually paying for it himself with money from his sno-cone stand. He knows we're all about safety, which is why we didn't just take Little Guy to the range and let him at it, Willy Nilly, but started him off on plastic pellet and BB guns a while ago, and go over all safety rules, treating THOSE as if they are real. Always have eyes and ears, always point downrange, always assume it's loaded, always be sure of your target and what's behind it, etc. And why we had NRA instructors take him to the range his 1st time to make sure he was learning properly and ingrained good habits.

I think it's fear. That we'll be his cartoonish stereotype of a Southern family. Poor guy, had no clue what he was marrying into! :)

SigGuy229 -- nope. No Twilight Zone. Sadly just a culture clash, I'm afraid. We go through this every now and then. I grew up a military brat, he grew up with hippie Vegan parents. And on it goes. He was miserable when we finally moved to NC, but he's adjusting. I think he may just be overwhelmed. lol!

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Is it legal now for Americans to marry Yankees?!

No good can come of this.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Is it legal now for Americans to marry Yankees?!

No good can come of this.
    ROFL!

He's come a long way in 11 years. Give me more time, I'll keep working on him!

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

They say that men marry women for who they are and women marry men for what they can become.

Perhaps you married him thinking he can become a true red blooded American and all that entails. Perhaps he married you for your grace and southern charm.

Biker

I have been shooting since the age of 6 hence my opinion of parents trying to stop kids from touching guns and instead teaching them how they work and how to be safe with one; but sadly in today's world with all of the lawyers making laws to "protect" them that is becoming more and more a thing of the past.

For your husband I would just tell him that since your 10 year old has a bigger pair than he you two will be shooting down at the range and if he would like to grow up please join. (half way joke/truth :-) )

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links