question on pistol grip shotguns???

This is a discussion on question on pistol grip shotguns??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just at my local gunstore (a-1 tactical) and was gonna purchase a mossburg 500 crusier pistol grip and im only 18 years old ...

Thread: question on pistol grip shotguns???

question on pistol grip shotguns???

I was just at my local gunstore (a-1 tactical) and was gonna purchase a mossburg 500 crusier pistol grip and im only 18 years old i just found out u have to be 21 to purchase this shotgun ....

my question is if i get wayne(gun dealer) to attach a fold over stock with a pistol grip in the shop would that make it legal for him to sell to me at 18????

any and all advice is good advice
    thank you
    legalize it!

2. Remove Ads

Others may have a different opinion but I'd give the pistol grip pump shotgun a miss. I tried out a Mossberg so fitted years ago and, while conveniently sized, it wasn't as easy to actually shoot as one with a normal stock.

Don't know the law but I'm surprised that you can't purchase any pistol grip or folding stock you wish for an otherwise legal shotgun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Double check FL law, but Im almost certain you can legally purchase that shotgun.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

BKS
    It would have to be a FL law cause it isn't a federal law that I know of.
    On another note, why would you want it? I know it looks cool, but you will never be able to shoot it as well as a full stocked shotgun.

Really, your best bet would be for them to attach either a side folder or top folder stock to it anyway. All of the benefit of a shortened HD weapon with the ability to accurately aim it when you extend the stock.

My .02 anyway.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Me no likey pistol grip shotguns. along with the others above, I suggest getting one with a stock on it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I'm pretty sure it's not a federal law that you can't buy a pistol gripped shotgun, if you are eighteen or older, but then I'm not a lawyer.

My Home Defense Shotgun has a buttstock and a pistol grip, sort of like an AR. I like the set-up for how I use a shotgun, as it seems to point better for me than the traditional stock. As far as shotguns with just a pistol grip and no buttstock, no thanks. I like to hit what I'm aiming at.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    It is not codified in law, but I have heard that BATFE considers PGO shotguns to be forbidden fruit for anyone under 21. It is one of those things that no legislative body voted upon, but BATFE has decided to enforce as it sees fit. I work security one day a week at a business with an FFL, but do not do the transactions, so I am not sure beyond all doubt, but am reasonably sure this is the case, having overheard the relevant conversations. Those at least 18, but not yet 21, must buy a shotgun with a stock. What they do with that stock after purchase is subject to state/local law.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 19th, 2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo

There is a letter to FFLs about this. The Man defines a pistol as being designed to be fired with one hand, a shotgun as being fired from the shoulder. They have interpreted this to mean a pistol grip only shotgun is indeed limited to those 21 and up. The same interpretation of a pistol is what keeps you from putting a foregrip on a handgun without a Form 1. According to the letter I've read and the last inspector we had, it is legal for someone under 21 to buy a shotgun with a stock attached, to buy a shotgun with an attached stock and a pistol grip included in the package, or to buy a gun with a folding or collapsable stock with a pistol grip configuration. According to The Man, there is nothing illegal about you buying a shotgun with a stock and a pistol grip included, paying it off completely, then having us install the pistol grip for you on your new gun.

It don't have to make sense, it's the gub-ment.

And no, I don't care for them either. For breaching doors, OK, for defense, I'll pass. You can always tuck a stock under your arm, you can't ever mount a PGO shotgun to the shoulder for a well aimed shot.

Pistol-grip shotguns LOOK COOL but are NOT practical. Get a reliable Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590 with a YOUTH STOCK(12" Length-of-pull..translation>Shorter stock) and you're in business. No idea about your local laws...be careful and make a FULLY LEGAL purchase. Good Luck!!
    Last edited by QKShooter; May 24th, 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: edit out all bold
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

okay. how with the BATFE even know if you just purchased a pistol grip shotgun or one that has both in the first place? The form only records if it is a long gun or a pistol. And the pistol grip shotgun is still considered a long gun.

I will admit that it has been over a year since I've looked at the back of the forms and it may have changed.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

The form reads long gun, pistol, or receiver now, and the BATFE will not know (until the dealer goes out of business) but it's still a pistol in the eyes of the law, and should legally be recorded as such on the 4473. If it has a pistol grip and you buy it from an FFL, it's not a long gun. If you buy it from a private citizen, it's different. If you put a pistol grip on it yourself, it's different. It makes no sense, but it is the law.

Links