School me on sights and scopes!

This is a discussion on School me on sights and scopes! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alternate title: What kinda doofus buys a gun you can't aim? I bought an AR from a guy I know... he had an EOTech on ...

Thread: School me on sights and scopes!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Alternate title: What kinda doofus buys a gun you can't aim?

I bought an AR from a guy I know... he had an EOTech on it and he specifically said it was not included... so when I picked it up and got it home, I realized this thing has no sights whatsoever...

So, where to now? This is my first AR and I believe this is what they call a "flat-top" with no carry handle and it has the cylindrical forward rail system. Should I get some standard iron sights, invest in some glass, or both, perhaps...?

Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Administrator
    Put another EOTech on it.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Put another EOTech on it.
    Or take a look at Aimpoint.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

EOTechs and Aimpoints are both good options.
    some BUIS (back up iron sights) to accompany the optic are also a good idea

does it have the standard AR15/M16/M4 front sight or does it have a railed gas block or something?
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Took me a while to find some images online... my digicam sucks...

It looks just like this...
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (16.0 KB, 31 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (17.5 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (21.6 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (23.3 KB, 22 views)
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    [I]Should I get some standard iron sights, invest in some glass, or both, perhaps...?
    Both. Life sucks when your optics go bye-bye. Go to Get Off the X and read up on the AR forum. The best education you can receive, on-line.

What are you going to use if for? Home defense, hunting, 3-gun or other competition?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Get a dirt cheap red dot from Midway or Natchez until you know for sure what you really want. Eotech and Aimpoint sights are great but expensive. They are not something you want to pay for only to find out it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Then they become a $400 paperweight.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Pioneer sez...

What are you going to use if for? Home defense, hunting, 3-gun or other competition?
    Strictly target practice and home defense... nothing to hunt around here except gator and wild boar...

I was looking at iron sights at a few websites, and I don't know what to order... this sucks... if someone can steer me to a primer on different sights, that would be great. I got a lot of homework to do...

Learn how to shoot with iron sights, then get a red dot sight of some kind (a quality one) and learn to shoot faster with it. I suggest the LMT front and rear sight, or the Troy Industries sights. I have both and like them.

Austin

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Pioneer sez...

Strictly target practice and home defense... nothing to hunt around here except gator and wild boar...

I was looking at iron sights at a few websites, and I don't know what to order... this sucks... if someone can steer me to a primer on different sights, that would be great. I got a lot of homework to do...
    Then a red dot sounds like what you need, or want, great for fast "pick up" on a target. Check LaRue Tactical since they sell multiple brands and mounts at a decent price. Also check the manufacturer's sites, I finally made up my mind at the Aimpoint site. LaRue has some links to other (AR) sites, check those for more sight information. Remember the function is your friend!

I got an Aimpoint M4, I liked the common (AA) battery, and the really long battery life, it wasn't cheap though.

Needless to say your mileage may vary!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links