older 870 wingmaster question??

older 870 wingmaster question??

This is a discussion on older 870 wingmaster question?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm changing my 870 wingmaster from a hunter to a home defence weapon. It was made in the late 60's to early 70's and has ...

Thread: older 870 wingmaster question??

Question older 870 wingmaster question??

I'm changing my 870 wingmaster from a hunter to a home defence weapon. It was made in the late 60's to early 70's and has a 2 3\4" chamber. I have an 18 1\2" barrel and magazine extension on order. My question is this will any pistol grip forend for an 870 work on this older shotgun? Has there been any changes regarding the forend of the 870 in the last 40 years? Thanks for any advise.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I am not positive but it should. Remington prides itself on parts interchangability. They claim that a person could take parts from an old 870 Wingmaster and combine them with parts from a newer 870 Wingmaster and they will work.

Thanks Black Night, that is my line of thinking also. The issue I ran into was the dealer i conversed with about the forend pistol grip said and I quote( I don't know the answer to your question). the other dealers I talked to about the other products that I ordered assured me they would work. I get nervous ordering things hoping they will work then all the hassel sending it back if they don't. Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The one dealer that said he didn't know the answer seems like someone worth doing business with. He seems honest in this incident. There are many dealers and their employees that have no knowledge of the products they sell but want the customer to accept whatever pops out of their mouths. That one dealer has earned some respect in my book. If you don't know then say so, there is no harm with being honest where firearms are involved.

Black Knight, thanks for getting back to me, sorry I'm slow getting back to you. You are right with your responce. I've been spending more time on research and so far my project is working out great. I've decided not to go with the forearm pistol grip at this time. I really like where I'm at with this project and will stay the course. I grew up with this shotgun, and it hold many memories. You see my Dad bought me this gun almost 40 years ago. Mom was out of state visiting recently so my wife and I had him over for supper. I said hey pop you remember that 870 you bought me way back then (for 125.00)? He said of course! I excused myself and brouht it out to him in present form. He said WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THIS GUN, CUT THE BARREL OFF! I said no Dad and showed him it was just part replacements. It was just another great memory with my Dad who showed me the way to self-reliance and of course among many other things the 2A. By the the way he really thinks my little shotty is pretty cool. I kinda think he wants it back!

bsnow, and others,

You may find the original 28" barrel is better for everything than the 18" one.

Despite what you see on TV and in the movies, most people shoot better with longer barrels.

gold40

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    bsnow, and others,

You may find the original 28" barrel is better for everything than the 18" one.

Despite what you see on TV and in the movies, most people shoot better with longer barrels.

gold40
    I think you missed the part where this is going to be a HD gun.

My 870 is a HD gun now. I don't hunt birds anymore. If I did the long barrel is the way to go, but the long barrel for HD won't work for me.

Links