DPMS Panther A-15 5.56NATO Sportical

This is a discussion on DPMS Panther A-15 5.56NATO Sportical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A local dealer has this gun on there website. I am looking at AR-15's as my next purchase. I do not know much about AR-15 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPMS Panther A-15 5.56NATO Sportical

A local dealer has this gun on there website. I am looking at AR-15's as my next purchase. I do not know much about AR-15 rifles, but from what I have read I was planning on going with a STAG ARMS. But now that my dealer has posted this on their website at a much lower price ($50 more in store than shown on website). Does anyone know anything about this rifle, good/bad? Thanks for your help, I posted the website below.

"Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't come with irons of any kind and no forward assist on the upper. The chamber, bore, bolt and carrier are not chrome lined either. Chrome lining makes the gun easier to clean and is more resilient to conditions.

The forward assist allows you to close the bolt if for some reason it hangs up and doesn't go all the way in to battery. Some people don't mind not having it, some say it is a bad idea to shove a round into the chamber that doesn't want to go. I like a forward assist.

If you buy the Sportical, I would get flip up front and rear sights for it and have at it. If you don't think you mind not having a forward assist, I say go for it.

How much difference are we talking on the Stag? If you're going to buy irons for the Sportical, you're looking at $100 or so, so take that in to consideration.

Spend a little more and get the real deal. IMHO a dpms sportical is not in the same class as a stag AR.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It's a good deal, but from what you have seen here you get what you pay for. I have a DPMS and it is great; however, mine has the chrome lined barrel and plated bolt, as well as a forward assist.

DPMS is a fine brand; just know that if you pick this one up it is an entry-level model.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    DPMS isn't really know for great quality weapons... if you plan on running this hard, it'll take some work to make it reliable. If you just want to sit at a bench and punch paper, it'll be fine - once you get some sights on it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with DPMS. I've had one for 16+ years (back when they *gasp* cast their lowers) and had one minor problem in that whole time (which the company offered to pay shipping both ways to fix). I've used it as a paper puncher, then swapped out the upper to make it a carbine, changed out the fixed stock, used every different ammo I could find, and it just runs and runs. The company started out supplying parts to the US military, as I recall.

I'd get the flip up iron sights and a decent (~$100) red dot for that set up.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    Spend a little more and get the real deal. IMHO a dpms sportical is not in the same class as a stag AR.
    I'll bite.

Why?

For the original poster, what made you decide on Stag? What's making you consider DPMS?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I'll bite.

Why?

For the original poster, what made you decide on Stag? What's making you consider DPMS?

-B

If you are going to spend the money on a an AR, why not get the standard improvements to the original design. No dust cover or bolt assist on the sportical and I think I have seen it called a carbon-15. Plus I'll bet it is easier to resell a true AR than a sportical.

I'm not slamming DPMS ARs, just the idea of the sportical. It's like buying 3/4 of a whole AR. (can't think of an appropriate analogy to better explain my thinking)
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I'd slam the DPMS. They have substandard parts that are occassionally assembled correctly and then not tested. DPMS is roughly the quality of Olympic Arms, which is lousy. If this is for serious/social use, I'd look for something that follows the TDP a little more closely. If it's for paper punching/range fun the Sportical won't be any better or worse than anything else I suppose.

There's a great chart out there that ranks the base M4 models of various manufacturers. It's actually showing how closely they follow the TDP... Very informative if you're buying your first AR/M4. Some of these are easy fixes, some you just have to live with what it is if you buy something from the right side of the chart:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...jFwPrgTA&hl=en

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    If you are going to spend the money on a an AR, why not get the standard improvements to the original design. No dust cover or bolt assist on the sportical and I think I have seen it called a carbon-15. Plus I'll bet it is easier to resell a true AR than a sportical.

I'm not slamming DPMS ARs, just the idea of the sportical. It's like buying 3/4 of a whole AR. (can't think of an appropriate analogy to better explain my thinking)
    Oh, slam if it's appropriate. If they've earned a poor rep, it's not by accident (likewise for folks who've earned a good rep). Actually, I was tracking the opposite direction: what makes you think Stag is superior to DPMS?

Depending on what the original poster plans on using this rifle for, I'd sooner save up a little more and get an ADS, if he needs a rifle on the quick, or save up a little more and get a Bravo Co., Colt, CD Defense, LMT, Noveske, etc.

-B

Gotcha. I see we're on the same page. The sportical to me is lacking basic functionality. By the time you get a normal DPMS M4, you could buy an LMT lower and a BCM or LMT upper and all the bits you want and have a much superior carbine.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Now my rifle is just one datapoint (maybe one and a half, since my carbine upper is a Stag), but also I have never heard first hand of someone having problems with a DPMS. Not the case for a few other manufacturers I know of. I've seen the chart that was referred to earlier in this thread, and it looks a lot like something a marketing department for a particular manufacturer came up with. I don't think the forward assist is a great idea, so not having one is a positive. Not having a brass deflector or a dust cover would be negatives for me. Chrome lining is one of those plus/minus type things. Easier to clean, worse accuracy. All guns should come with some type of sight, unless you are building a dedicated long distance gun that only needs a scope.

My bottom line is that DPMS makes good guns, this model would not do it for me, and don't get carried away with the Colt (or Noveske or RRA) kool-aid.

That chart isn't made by any marketing department and all it does is show how closely a rifle follows the TDP. People who shoot smelly bearded men for a living (both currently and those that did and now train others to shoot smelly bearded men) have seen more DPMS's go TU than pretty much anyone other than Oly. They're the ones that have compiled the chart. And since the TDP in question is for the M4, a rifle designed for social work, the accuracy (perceived or real) lost to chrome lining is far outweighed by the extended life and other benefits that chrome lining brings. Inside 3-500 yards, on a man-sized target, you'll have more than sufficient accuracy with a chrome lined bore.

Can you get a DPMS that runs hard? Not likely. More than likely you'll have to get it and work on it to make it run that hard - and you're still down the proper testing to make sure the parts are made correctly. Now if you take it out and send a couple hundred rounds down range from a bench, you'll be fine... But if you go to a class (or God forbid the S has HTF) and you're going through 1k rounds or more a day - that's not really the best time to find out your rifle isn't up to the challenge...

Who here actually owned a Sportical?

I did. Bought it as my first AR because it was cheap. $670 last November. Could not get the damn thing to stop jamming. Ran around 400 rounds before I gave up. Parted it out, made a profit, then bought a RRA. Haven't looked back since.

If you're getting one just to to plinking with it, then I don't see anything wrong with using a Sportical...if it works. But if you think you might use it for more serious purposes, then I would steer clear of the Sportical.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Now my rifle is just one datapoint (maybe one and a half, since my carbine upper is a Stag), but also I have never heard first hand of someone having problems with a DPMS. Not the case for a few other manufacturers I know of. I've seen the chart that was referred to earlier in this thread, and it looks a lot like something a marketing department for a particular manufacturer came up with. I don't think the forward assist is a great idea, so not having one is a positive. Not having a brass deflector or a dust cover would be negatives for me. Chrome lining is one of those plus/minus type things. Easier to clean, worse accuracy. All guns should come with some type of sight, unless you are building a dedicated long distance gun that only needs a scope.

My bottom line is that DPMS makes good guns, this model would not do it for me, and don't get carried away with the Colt (or Noveske or RRA) kool-aid.
    Few points.

1) I have witnessed issues with DPMS rifles, and I speak regularly to people who have to handle said issues. When stacked up against rifles of other manufacturers, DPMS gravitates toward the "more problems" end of the spectrum. Bear in mind that the vast majority of owners of AR-15s don't shoot their rifles often enough to bring these problems to light, and fewer know how to properly maintain and service their rifles.

2) The chart is a community effort by a ton of people, none of which (that I know of) work for any manufacturer. It is a fact that many of those contributing people have ties to a variety of manufacturers, which is how the information is gathered in the first place, but nobody who participates in contributing to the chart profits from it. It is strictly an informational tool, and one the shooting community should be thankful for; many newer manufacturers are using it to help them create a better product (ADS, CD Defense, Daniel Defense, and a couple others I'm forgetting off hand).

3) Chrome-lining does not necessitate decreased accuracy. Many outstanding precision rifles have chrome-lined barrels. Less accurate does not mean inaccurate.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links