M4 vs AR15

This is a discussion on M4 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Preference between the two???? If so, why. Thank you,...

Thread: M4 vs AR15

M4 vs AR15

Preference between the two???? If so, why.

Thank you,
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

2. Remove Ads

Well the M4 is a carbine version of the M16. The M4 has a short, very short gas system that siphons far too much gas and as a result puts a LOT of pressure on the gas system. Being that is it may it has a barrel grove for the M203 grenade launcher.

M4 semi-auto clones are ubiquitous and favored by civiallians who want something that looks even more "mean" than the Black Rifle that makes Anti-Gunners shake and shiver

The AR15 is a semi-auto clone of the M16 A2 and doesn't suffer the gas-system problems of the M4 and the M4 clones.

Although if you wanted the flavor of an A2 upper and a M4 clone upper you can just buy a full AR15 A2 and a M4 upper and switch out whenever you feel. As for my preference, it would be for an A3 flat top upper on an A2 stocked lower with a bayonett lug but no accessory rails.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Duisburg is right, and I'll add some key distinctions...

The M4 has a 14.5" barrel and is subject to NFA regulations even if it's semi-auto. I have an M4 with a pinned and welded flash hider to bring it to the legal length and avoid NFA entanglements. It is more common to see an "M4gery", which is a 16" carbine barrel cut to the M4 contour. Like Duisburg said, people do that to get the grenade launcher cut-out and look more heinous I guess, or perhaps it's just what they could afford. If you don't care about the looks, just get an AR-15 carbine (16" barrel) and don't look back. You can get a mid-length gas system for your carbine (I have an RRA midlength carbine myself), and reduce the hard cycling duisburg mentioned regarding the carbine length gas system.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Thanks for the very informative responses. I am new to the AR/M world. I figured that if I spend $$$ for a good rifle, I might as well go for the gusto and get an AR/M. Otherwise, I will get something in the Remington 700 series or equivalent.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Thanks for the very informative responses. I am new to the AR/M world. I figured that if I spend $$$ for a good rifle, I might as well go for the gusto and get an AR/M. Otherwise, I will get something in the Remington 700 series or equivalent.
    go for that gusto, because on the AR platform you can put all kinds of uppers on them, be it an AR57, AR47 or 50BMG bolt action upper or even a belt fed upper that I saw in shotgun news. You can switch out the bolt to stick in a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel or the 5.7mm upper. You'll get more bang for you buck with an AR lower, trust me!

I am SURE that you will find these videos interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5UbgB_tfE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6JC8apNpE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1SntQ7s7k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtMo5-NU1A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsIob-rdOM
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Most of the problems with the shorter gas system can be negated by having a properly weighted rifle. You get this by using a Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group (perfectly legal to have, it just has more metal on it than the semi-auto variants) and by using a heavier buffer (typically an H-Buffer, though rifles with barrells shorter than 14.5" will use heavier buffers still). If this is for Home Defense/SHTF, you're going to want the shorter barrel (16" vs 20")...

If you really want to learn about M4s and ARs in general head over to m4carbine.net. There are a lot of really great guys over there (real-life operators, instructors, manufacturers and more) that know their stuff. They'll point you in the right direction. Get informed and then buy... you might pay a little more, but you'll have the right rifle for your application.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Same thing different name.

Read a bit before you buy. Asking questions is a great idea before shelling out a bunch of money.

Austin

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    m4 variants with the 16" barrels don't allow the useage of a bayonet. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things though.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    some good reading here:

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

I would start with your purpose... do you want a light carbine or a rifle to shoot tiny groups in high power matches? `

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    m4 variants with the 16" barrels don't allow the useage of a bayonet. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things though.
    a bayonet is always a must

Doc..Good advice and some sharp AR types out there!! Just so you know ANY version with the DIRECT IMPINGEMENT Gas Operating system(military M-16/M-4 or their AR-15 Civilian cousins)RUN DIRTY. Without getting TOO technical the gas directed backwards to operate the bolt makes even a couple hundred rounds fired into a "FUN"cleaning session afterwards!! Good Luck with your quest.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links