Looking for a SD/HD shotgun

This is a discussion on Looking for a SD/HD shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a nice 12 gauge shotgun. something that can hold quite a few rounds. Looking for something with a pistol gripwith or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a SD/HD shotgun

Looking for a SD/HD shotgun

I am looking for a nice 12 gauge shotgun. something that can hold quite a few rounds. Looking for something with a pistol gripwith or without a stock, or a folding stock and short barrel short as possible, as long as its legal in florida. If possible shoots all 3 size shells if not then want something that will shoot at least a 3" shell 3 1/2 even better.

What would you suggest??

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Check the newer Mossbergs. The 500 Persuader/Cruiser series hold 8 shots; comes with a heat shield and pistol grip; around $300 ...

After shooting it I promptly bought a Spec-Ops stock; I couldn't manage the gun with the pistol stock.

Have fun !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Remington 870 Spec Ops

Pardner Pump Protector - Retails $179.00

You could be shooting a PPP

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    With a few police departments trading in for semi-autos instead of pump actions, you may want to check the gunshops for a good police trade in Remington 870. Some are beat up somewhat but still function. You may be able to get one cheap and set it up the way you want with the money saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    With a few police departments trading in for semi-autos instead of pump actions, you may want to check the gunshops for a good police trade in Remington 870. Some are beat up somewhat but still function. You may be able to get one cheap and set it up the way you want with the money saved.
    Why semi auto instead of pump action. Also how easy is it to buy a pistol grip shotgun and add a aftermarket folding stock to it??

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I am looking for a nice 12 gauge shotgun. something that can hold quite a few rounds. Looking for something with a pistol gripwith or without a stock, or a folding stock and short barrel short as possible, as long as its legal in florida. If possible shoots all 3 size shells if not then want something that will shoot at least a 3" shell 3 1/2 even better.

What would you suggest??
    Where you at in Florida?

Where I work we have the Mossberg 500 Persuader, 20" improved cylinder barrel, 8 round magazine tube, black synthetic stock and includes pistol grip in the box. Will handle 2 3/4" and 3" shells (not magnums). $299.99 new.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I am in southwest florida. port charlotte area, Looking for something with shortest barrel as possible but still legal so its small and easy to carry and move around with I know the recoil will be crazy.

any good semi auto tactical shotguns out there?? Which is the best way to go pump or semi for self/home defense in a 12ga version?? Only thing about the pump is the noise everytime you rack it. With the semi its quiet and faster to shoot. Also if it jams the pump is easier to unjam right?? The pump can also take a variety of ammo much more easier and less problems than the semi

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    any good semi auto tactical shotguns out there?? Which is the best way to go pump or semi for self/home defense in a 12ga version?? Only thing about the pump is the noise everytime you rack it. With the semi its quiet and faster to shoot. Also if it jams the pump is easier to unjam right?? The pump can also take a variety of ammo much more easier and less problems than the semi
    It seems that the Mossberg 930SPX tops most lists. I'm trying to find the periodical magazine that I had where they tested a bunch of them...but I'm not having much luck...still moving some of my stuff.
    I've never contemplated the thought of buying a semi auto shotgun for some reason. Recoil is apparently supposed to be less with the semis for the action, but I do remember a few years ago when a fellow at the range had attached a red dot sight with a side mount to his semi auto shotgun and it jammed the first time he fired it.....I supplied the allen wrenches for him to remove the mount so he didn't waste a trip to the range. Not that a basic semi auto couldn't be totally reliable in every way, it's just that I like to keep the fudge factor to a minimum........me. Dependent mechanical things also require more care, and the more parts, increase the odds of possible failure. Maybe I'm just simple minded, but I've had more simply engineered items get the job done for me, and there's nothing wrong with using a little bit of muscle to get it done. The human body is the best engineering that never came out of a book, school, or science.

thanks, anyone else got any input

If you get a semi auto, Saiga 12 wins in my book hands down..

YouTube - Saiga 12 Shotgun, MD-20 Drum: Pallet Destruction

I have the Remington 870 tactical w/Spec Ops:

They’re the choice of many top law enforcement agencies, and for good reasons. Time-tested and extremely reliable, Remington Model 870™ shotguns combine legendary quality with a level of flexibility that only comes with experience in the field. The all-black lineup of Model 870 tactical shotguns will feature three different choices in tactical stocks, 18" to 20" barrels, and two- or three-shot magazine tube extensions.

Load them up with even the most potent magnum loads, the Knoxx® SpecOps™ stocks are capable of taming even the harshest recoil. All Model 870 Tactical shotguns are 12 gauge, 2 3/4" and 3" chambered. Every model in this lineup features a black oxide finish, a black synthetic tactical-style fore-end and sling swivel studs installed.

Model 870™ TAC Features

12-gauge, 2-3/4" and 3" chambered and are available in 18" and 20" barrels with 2- and 3-shot magazine tube extensions

Bead sights

Blasted black oxide finish with black synthetic tactical-style fore-ends

All stocks include sling swivel studs

Link
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

yea, that saiga is a little too much money, I am gonna either go with a 870 or a mossberg 500. Any good semi autos out there?

Administrator
    FN, Beretta, Benelli, Mossberg and Remington all make good semi auto HD shotguns.

I've taking a look at the 930, and it is a compact package, seemingly more so than any other. I'm not sure if its perception or reality though.

One reason I prefer a pump for a HD gun is it will shoot a lot more variety of ammo without worry. I use semi auto's almost exclusively for clays and hunting so i do appreciate a good semi auto action.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links