New toy, Norinco M4 AR

New toy, Norinco M4 AR

This is a discussion on New toy, Norinco M4 AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another new toy, this is a Chinese clone of the Colt M4. Features a removable carrying handle with rail underneath, ambi safety and chromed barrel ...

Thread: New toy, Norinco M4 AR

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

New toy, Norinco M4 AR

Another new toy, this is a Chinese clone of the Colt M4. Features a removable carrying handle with rail underneath, ambi safety and chromed barrel and 2x 5/30rd mags (Rifle mags must be 5 rds up here). At $899, itís at least $600 cheaper than the next level AR up here. The AR is restricted by name and is doomed to be a range queen, the good news is that the LAR pistol 10rd mags work in it, so I can legally have 10rds in it. (donít ask itís not logical) The finish sucks, but I knew that before buying, I will shoot it for a bit, likely remove the front sight, add optics and other stuff and then get it Duracoated.
    Got it on Friday, cleaned and oiled it up. Took it out Saturday, sighted it in and fired about 80rds through it, without problem. The target is from 50yards from standing and sitting without a riflerest, keep in mind I havenít fired an AR in 25years and the target is a blurry dot to my eyes!

Interesting. Never had any qualms with my former Norinco 1911A1. Hope it serves you well.

That looks really nice, I have a Norinco 1911 A1, to bad we can't get new Norincos in the States anymore, they do make a nice firearm.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Congrats on your new weapon.

I have a question though; you said it would be a range queen, are you required to store it somewhere like a gun club or shooting range in Canada? I'll admit to not being very familiar with Canadian gun laws.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

thanks, I believe the gun is actually made by Polytech, but marketed by Norinco. funny the instruction manual has some sort of space ship on the cover and the first page is sort of like: "Congratulations on your killing machine" the instructions are clear, but the translations are quite amusing. Still a big improvement over their older manuals.

We have 5 types of firearms in Canada

Antique= which is firearms made prior to the 20th century I recall and not in a common calibre, early Webely Mk II I think qualify for that. No authority to transport required and can be carried and used anywhere a non-restricted firearm can be used (pretty sure on this)

Deactivated= firearms that have been permently modified to prevent firing as per guidelines and verified, thereafter not considered a firearm.

Non-restricted= The majority of hunting rifles and shotguns fall under this category. I believe they must be an overall length of 26”. The firearms must be registered. No authority to transport required

Restricted= The majority of full size pistol and revolvers, barrel must be over 4.1”. Semi-automatic rifles with barrels less than 18.5” and firearms “named” in the Firearms Act as restricted, the AR is one such rifle. Mainly as it “looks evil”. Restricted firearms may only be used on an approved range. An authority to transport (ATT) is required, normally the ATT is good for 5 years and states that it is good for all approved ranges, gunshops and border crossings in your Province.

Prohibited= Any pistol or revolver with a barrel less than 4”. Any handgun in .25 or .32cal, those that owned a prohibited pistol prior to the change in laws are “grandfathered” and may use their pistols on a approved range. Any rifle “named” in the Act, this includes my FAL, (but my M14 is non-restricted, go figure?) and AK’s. Any full auto firearm. You can be grandfathered for these, but you are not allowed to shoot them, since the FAL is clearly so evil it can’t be trusted. My friend has a business licence that allows him to shoot anything, so he can take my FAL to shoot it and I tag along….You can only get a permit to transport to gunshops, gunshows and for destruction unless you have a special licence.

On the plus side, stuff like your “destructive devices” does not apply up here, so if you want to put a stock on 1911 or Glock, fill your boots, also you can change pretty well anything on the gun as long as you don’t cut the barrel shorter, but you can get a gunsmith to do it, but it may change the legal status of the gun. Funny also, Canada allows me to bring in 5,000rds across the border, but the US won’t let me do it.

Nice buy...congrats on the AR!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I have to admit I'm jealous of your 14.5in barrel. But then again, the 3.5in barreled USP Compact on my hip would be illegal up there, so I guess we can call it a wash. Arbitrary laws suck.

Nice looking rifle.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Here is the instruction booklet with the UFO's on it. I think they "borrowed" the image from some computer hardware, as I know I have seen it before.

Links