Scope question

Scope question

This is a discussion on Scope question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a SOCOM 16 for a great price. I have to admit that my knowledge of rifles is far behind my knowledge of ...

Thread: Scope question

Scope question

Just picked up a SOCOM 16 for a great price. I have to admit that my knowledge of rifles is far behind my knowledge of handguns. Can anyone recommend a descent scope that will not break the bank. Don't expect to be shooting at anything past say 600-800 yards. Eventually I plan to put a Troy stock on it. Thanks
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

What's "breaking the bank" for you? Take a look at Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold, Niteforce, Nikon, Sheppard.

Sorry, that would have been helpful huh? $200-300 range
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Have you thought of looking for a used scope? Many folks get rid of perfectly good hi-end scopes just so they can get the newest ones out. You might be able to pick up a good quality scope that way and have much better glass then if you buy new at the same price.

Michael

I got to compare a Bushnell 4200 to a Leupold and Swarovski at a gunstore (outside) and couldn't tell the difference btwn the Leupold and the Bushnell. Looking at the lights in the store won't tell you squat. Outside on a cloudy day or at dusk is the best. The Swarovski really shines at dusk and dawn - but price is way up there. The Bushnell was definitely the best value - quality was equal to Leupold. You can get a 3x9-40 for right at $300. Don't go below the 3200 line. Marine qualification includes shooting 500 meters with open sights, so 9x should get you to 800 yds w/o too much trouble. Used is a good idea, but shop smart for used scopes - some pay new prices for used stuff. Inspect carefully for damage.

Well, the SOCOM 16 was designed to give .308 power within the 0-400M envelope, so 600-800 is getting a bit optimistic. Not that it can't be done, you'll just be spending for optics that your rifle isn't optimized to live up to, or you'll be buying cheap magnification that won't survive long.

A long-eye relief fixed 4X would be about right, or a variable 1.5 or 2-6X. An illuminated reticle is nice, and gives you "red-dot" ability with 1-2x (read snap shots across a room).

You really need to decide what you want to use the rifle for(do you want a heavy hitting CQB gun or a very compact 600-800 yard gun) because your optics selection will be very different.

For 0-400, I have a Burris Electro dot, 1.5-6x26. I found 400+ wasn't something I had actual lines of fire for around my home, so...

Not sure what type of scope you want but I love my Super Sniper. IMO it's a great scope and rivals a lot of them that cost more. I have the 10x42 fixed power with rear parallax adjustment. I think it's about $300 from swfa.com.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Not sure what type of scope you want but I love my Super Sniper. IMO it's a great scope and rivals a lot of them that cost more. I have the 10x42 fixed power with rear parallax adjustment. I think it's about $300 from swfa.com.
    Yeah, the SS has been an under-reported best-buy, on many accounts.

funny story just picked up a scope for an airsoft gun the other day because me and the store owner both were wondering how it would handle the recoil of a full power riffle it is a an ACOG style with both red and green illuminators 4X and I got it for about $140 I had to replace the mounting bolts as they were hollow on the ends but I got it on my PTR-91 in .308 and put about 30 rounds through it this morning and it all seems to be fine and as a bonus it is sighted in now :D so I'm thinking this one may just be a steal if it will continue to hold up I will try to put some more ammo through the riffle with this ACOG on it and see how well it truly holds up but it seems like it will be fine from the testing so far :D

Sponsored Links