Shotgun advice

Shotgun advice

This is a discussion on Shotgun advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that my range bag is packed with pistols, I have been thinking about buying a shotgun for range and field. This would be my ...

Thread: Shotgun advice

Shotgun advice

Now that my range bag is packed with pistols, I have been thinking about buying a shotgun for range and field. This would be my first shotgun. One of my golf/shooting buddies is saying that I should stick with Beretta, Benelli or Browning. I want an Over/Under, don't want to spend a lot for a flashy gun but I do like high quality. Budget is at or under $2,000. What do you suggest and also does anyone know about the CZ shotguns made in Turkey?
    Thanks in advance.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

You should be able with that budget to buy about any shotgun you want, and maybe even 3-4 of other types lol

Nice budget, shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice O/U for that kind of money.

Its hard to be a Browning Citori O/U. They look good, handle better, and have many grades, depending on for field or range. A little on the more expensive side, but you get what you pay for!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I know if I had your budget I'd buy a good semi-auto shotgun and a couple pump action shotguns.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Well, I really don't want to spend more than a thousand but those Browning Citori's are expensive, thus the higher budget. Plus I want to buy a shotgun that will last my lifetime and have one I won't get tired of. More advice will be appreciated as I am new to shotguns.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Your best bet is to go to your local gun shop and handle a bunch of shotguns. For me, dove hunting and clay pigeon shooting I like my o/u for many reasons better than a semi. For one, you can use different chokes, i.e. a modified if it is a longer shot, and a improved on the other barrel for a closer, and more spread out pattern. Also, your gun will always go bang with a browning O/U. There is nothing more frustrating than setting in a field, see a dove go over shoot a shot and the gun jams! Just my .02.

My advise... send half your budget to me. PM for address. Like others have said handle as many as you can and find one that fits.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Haha. Thanks for sound advice, guys. My shooting buddy says the same thing about O/U versus semis. Say, are "fixed" chokes better than "screw ins"?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Nope, they are not capable of being changed. You do not need to worry about screw in chokes un-threading. I usually check them after I clean the gun. Whats nice with screw in chokes is your versatility. The only way i'd get a fixed choke gun again would be if its a dedicated gun (turkey gun).

OK thanks for the lesson. I am off to a local gun store to play with the boom sticks.
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    I would check with CDNN. They always have a wide variety of shotguns for a good price.

Call 800-588-9500. Tell them what you want. You may get real lucky.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

drs1457,

You should be able to find a nice used Browning Citori 12 gauge with adjustable chokes for $900 to $1,200. The Cirori is my favorite.

You can use an O/U to hunt everything from doves to geese, to deer. It is also very suitable or home defense.

gold40

Gold40. Thanks for the advice. Funny you should drop this note as I was just staring at the Citori's in the Browning catalog. Nice, nice gun. I was leaning toward 20 gauge but maybe I should step right up to 12 ga. What do you think about that new Cynergy line they have?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Honestly, with what you listed I would look at the CZ stuff. IMO they are just as good as the browings and berettas and generally a lot cheaper. You can pick up the gun, all the chokes you need, a good softcase, a good hardcase, some clay pigeons and lots of target ammo and still stay in your budget, and probably have a bit left over for a really nice electric pigeon tosser.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Sponsored Links