Looking for opinions on an IOI AK-47c

This is a discussion on Looking for opinions on an IOI AK-47c within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking to get a semi-auto rifle for awhile but have been put off by the high prices lately. I think I have a ...

Thread: Looking for opinions on an IOI AK-47c

Question Looking for opinions on an IOI AK-47c

I've been looking to get a semi-auto rifle for awhile but have been put off by the high prices lately. I think I have a line on an Inter Ordnance Inc. AK-47c in 7.62mm for around $600 and was wondering if anyone else either has one or knows anything about them. I've searched the web and have found some mixed reviews. Some people love them and some hate them, yet I haven't found anything stating that they are poor quality and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try to get one of these rifles. So, any arguments for or against? I'm a newbie when it comes to rifles, only rifle I've ever fired is an old 22lr bolt action back when I was a kid, and I'm looking to fix that soon, but don't want to break the bank.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I bought an AK47 a few years ago. I can't remember from where. I paid about $400 for mine. I think it was made in Yugoslavia but not sure. The stocks were horrible looking. I found a set of walnut stocks online for about $30.00 and had them fitted to it. It looks great now!!!

I believe I've seen pictures of them, but am not sure. I believe they're Romanian kits, with American made receivers, barrels, and tapco furniture right?

If so, I don't think you'll have a problem with them. Some people don't like Tapco but I find the side folder stock they make to be rather sturdy and comfortable to shoot with. I also just put the galil handguard on my rifle, which I've heard will make shooting more comfortable. (I just got it on today so I won't know until at least tomorrow.)

In this economy, $600 isn't too bad for an AK, especially considering that the add on parts they put on the weapon would run up to $120 if bought separately. I'm not sure how much their American made receiver would run either if purchased seperately.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Aim surplus has a Romanian WASR 10 AK 7.62x39 w/2 30rd mags for $500. aimsurplus.com. I bought a WASR AK 47 about 9 years ago they were about $250+ price range then.

I'm not familiar with the Inter Ordnance AK, but at that price I'd be inclined to do it. You can find one for a bit less on the web, but after shipping and transfer fees, you will spend about the same amount.

In any case, an AK is a darn fine choice in a semi-auto rifle. They are a bone-head simple design and very over-built. You won't wear it out or break it. Ammo is pretty easy to find, and parts and accessories are plentiful. It is a very fun gun to shoot, and can feed your family or keep the zombies off your porch.

A typical AK has a finish that is not very pretty, and they do not have the accuracy of an AR or good modern sporting rifle. However, it will be totally reliable without proper cleaning, in the most extreme conditions, in spite of iffy ammo, and even in the hands of the most ignorant of peasants.

With the AK-47 being perhaps the most numerous firearm ever produces, every shooter should learn and experience it. And if your world goes weird, it is perhaps the best tool to have in hand.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Try to find a Bulgarian if you can... the fit and finish is noticeably superior to the WASR or the Yugo...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I ended up going with a WASR from Century International Arms instead of the IOI. The WASR was about $50 more but had the real wood furniture instead of the plastic stuff that the IOI had, which I would have replaced with wood anyways. The stock and hand guard are unfinished, so making this weapon beautiful will be my project for the next couple days. Here's a picture what it looks like now - prefinished.

"America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Congrats on the new weapon.

WASR's aren't the prettiest rifles, but they'll go bang every time you pull the trigger, are reasonably accurate for the range they were intended for, and can take almost every accessory that will fit stamped receivers.

One recommendation though, replace the shepherds crook with a curved plate when you get the chance. Those crook's are a to get back in compared to the curved plate when you take out the fire control group for cleaning.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Here it is all refinished. Had to resize the image for the forums and the lighting isn't that great, but trust me...it looks pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Aim surplus has a Romanian WASR 10 AK 7.62x39 w/2 30rd mags for $500. aimsurplus.com. I bought a WASR AK 47 about 9 years ago they were about $250+ price range then.

Don't buy wasr's over the internet, they are pretty likely to have faults... if you get a chance to go in and inspect them then go for it!!! I got an underfolding wasr ak for $450 . it's one of my favorites, however wasrs tend to have mechanical issues so break it down and inspect it before buying... I was looking at a collapsable stock one and took it apart and the dust cover didn't fit... turned out it was the whole shipment!!! so I went with the underfolder... shoots like a dream...

Over the internet it's better to get a higher quality at j&g they have a gp 75 ak 47 for $520

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SuRpLuS View Post
    Don't buy wasr's over the internet, they are pretty likely to have faults...
    Unless you go with a certified WASR from Henderson's. They run a little bit more, but seem to be worth it.

AK47
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    I've been looking to get a semi-auto rifle for awhile but have been put off by the high prices lately. I think I have a line on an Inter Ordnance Inc. AK-47c in 7.62mm for around $600 and was wondering if anyone else either has one or knows anything about them.
    I have one I bought a year ago.
    The fixed buttstock and pistol grip are fine , but the Handguards suck.
    ( Actually I put a wood set on mine after a while. )

Mine is assembled MUCH better than a WASR AK
    (and I own a wasr also )

I've heard that the finish quality on the recent ones isn't as good,
    but no one has complained about function.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links