Defensive Carry banner

Handgun Caliber Rifle

6K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  retired badge 1 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting a rifle in one of the handgun calibers. .357/.38, 9mm, .45, etc. What are your suggestions? Semi-auto or lever action.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, I have a Sig P220 45 in full size, and wanted a carbine that used 45 ammo, so that limited me to what is available. I wish I could get one that used the Sig mag but I make do with at least the same ammo.

I got the Berretta CX4 Strom in 45. Very happy with it.

#3 ·
Recently bought a Rossi M92 357 Trapper. With the rain and being sick, haven't been able to shoot it much. It's pretty accurate from 50 yds and "slick". I've got a good supply of 357s and gonna take it to the range(next week-I hope) and chronogaph/accuracy test everything from Federal & Black Hills 125s to Buffalo Bore 180s.

#6 ·
Always had a soft spot for the old cowboy lever action. But then I like the modern autos too.

This will be for self defense and for fun shooting. I'm not a hunter so that's not an issue. I thought a .357 or .45 rifle would be more effective on the two legged creatures then a .223.

#5 ·
9mm AR's can be fun; getting one is on my short list. I'd love to get a HK94, but...they're a little out of my price range right now...

It all really boils down to how much you want to spend, and what features you want (high-cap (20+) magazines, medium-game hunting, being able to attach all the latest & greates tacticool toys, etc...).

Nothing wrong with a lever action, though. A 1894 in .357 is also on my list of rifles to look for...

Reactions: demanic
#11 ·
I have a Ruger PC4 in .40 S&W with 6 10 round mags and 3 20 round mags. It doesn't share mags with my .40 autos either but I like that is shares ammo. A Marlin 1894c .357mag is on my list, as well as a AO M1 carbine. I really like pistol caliber rifles, fun to shoot. I have a 30-30 winchester that's fun also.

#12 ·
I have a bunch of pistol cal carbines. They are neat and fun to shoot, but chronograph your ammo. I had some loads in my Uzi and Ruger PC9 that came out slower from the rifle than from a pistol. It just makes it easier to hit with, not necessarily more powerful.

#14 ·
I have a Winchester Trapper (16" barrel) in .38/.357 and I absolutely love it. I have it sighted in 1 1/2" high at 50 yds and it hits about 1 1/2" low at 100.

I want another one. It's a nice complementary piece to my Ruger Security Six.

#15 ·
I have a CX4 Storm 9mm with a ATN reflex sight that can consistantly shoot minute of paper plate at 100 yards. Amazingly, it shoots very flat between 50 and 100 yards with standard load 115 gr ammo. This is the first "pistol round" carbine I've decided was a for sure keeper.

Another one I don't think has been mentioned yet is the KelTec Sub2000 folder. I had one in 9mm, and stupidly traded it for a pistol. Even though it was no where near the quality of the Beretta, and the front sight leaves a lot to be desired. it was a great shooter (although a bit punishing after a lengthy range outing). They are very compact when folded and stored in a small retangular gun rag, and can be carryed under the seat of most pickups.

surv

#16 ·
I have a Winchester Trails End 1894 lever action in .357 mag. I bought it just before Winchester folded. It's a great general purpose rifle and fun to shoot. It is quite potent for two legged varmints from 50 to 100 yards.

#21 ·
If I want a practical gun that would be best for defensive use, I’d get something modern and semi-auto. If money isn’t a concern, I’d go with an MP5 or a quality clone. Give it a red dot, flashlight, sling, and pistol brace. Would really prefer a K config with a short barrel. Other options are great, like the CZ Scorpion, Sig MPX, Kriss Vector, Kalashnikov KP-9, etc.

Now if I were looking for a gun that were more for recreation and just the joy of ownership, I’d probably go for a lever gun in 357.

#27 ·
Love me some combination lever-action rifles and single-action revolvers.

I have a Winchester '94 and two Colt SAA revolvers in .45 Colt. I also have a Winchester '94 and a Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary Flattop in .44 magnum.

Reactions: msgt/ret
#29 ·
I have two combinations of this type:

Colt Single Action Army 'Frontier Six Shooter' .44-40 made in 1914 and a Marlin Model 1894 .44-40 rifle made in 1905.

Colt Bisley Model .32-20 made in 1902 and a Winchester Model 1892 saddle ring carbine .32-20 made in 1928.

Years ago I had a Winchester 1892 carbine originally chambered in .32-20 that had been rebored and chambered for .357 magnum. Made a good companion to my S&W Model 19 .357 duty revolver as a young cop. Outstanding little rifle! Still waiting to hear that it has been recovered after a burglary of my home back in the 70s, but no longer hopeful of that.

A few words of advice:

My Colt .44-40 requires .427" bullets due to chamber, forcing cone, bore & groove dimensions, but the Marlin needs .429-.430" bullets to do well. It has been a challenge to develop one load that performs well in both pieces.

My Colt .32-20 has similar dimensional differences from its Winchester companion piece. What works best in one is marginal in the other.

Hand-loading and bullet casting is probably the best approach to making such combinations work with the same ammunition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.