Remington 870 Home Defense Modifications? - Page 2

Remington 870 Home Defense Modifications?

This is a discussion on Remington 870 Home Defense Modifications? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good stuff! I appreciate the help....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 870 Home Defense Modifications?

Good stuff! I appreciate the help.

MAX100 I've seen you around the basement in SGW.

I am here, there and anywhere shotguns are discussed.

If you go with a receiver side saddle you will need a short LE forend. The Vang oversize safeties are nice because they are very fast to disengage. Nordic makes a nice mag tube clamp. You can attach a rail for mounting a flashlight & there is place for a sling stud.

Rail mounted flashlights are nice because they are compact & fast and easy to remove.

GC

My "basic" for a Home Defense/Duty Use Shotgun is:

Oversized safety
    Mag Extention
    Light with Pressure Pad Activation Switch

I like my extra ammo off the gun and on my Belt. I also like Ghost Ring Tritium Sights, but that's me.

I haven't added a sling, yet, but I most likely will for the home defense shotgun. The most important piece of equipment, IMHO, is the Light. It makes identifying your target easier, and in my mind that's the first rule.

KNOW YOUR TARGET!

Biker

Administrator
    An 18" barrel first, and maybe a mag ext. if it makes you feel better. Other than that, its nothing but icing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

wpk
    Bayonet, 'nuff said.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    An 18" barrel first, and maybe a mag ext. if it makes you feel better. Other than that, its nothing but icing.

That's about it,

A short barrel is about all that you need. If you are going to take a shotgun class I would get a sling, if you are not going to take a class then don't worry about the sling.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A short barrel is an advantage indoors. A high-quality magazine extension is not a bad idea, and while you are at it, make sure the magazine spring and follower are of high quality, too. Not much point in adding something that gives you more rounds, if those rounds won't feed.

A light is a mixed blessing, and not as vital as some make it out to be. It depends on how much ambient light you will typically have. Ghost-ring sights are another mixed blessing. At home defense distance, a bead sight is adequate, and it may well be the fastest to use. (We all have different eyesight; what works for me may work otherwise for you.) A bigger/brighter/tritium bead may be a very good idea.

I like the Vang-comp big-head safety.

One of my duty/HD/SD shotguns is a very plain-jane parkerized 870P. I added a Vang-comp barrel to get smaller buckshot patterns at distance, when patrolling the streets, and the barrel wears a plain bead. I added the Vang big-head safety button, too. No magazine extension.

My other 870 is a custom from Scattergun Technologies. Ghost ring front sight, tritium front sight, Vang-comped barrel + porting, threaded for choke tubes/breacher attachment, big-head safety, mag extension, sling mounts, custom black finish, the works. I bought it to use as a designated slug gun for policin', not really for HD. It could certainly do double duty for HD, of course.

Know which shotgun I actually like the best? The basic, bead-sight, parkerized 870P, of course. Basic is good.

1. Pistol grip folding stock

2. Light

3. 00 Buck

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed I also like the idea of a Sidesaddle carrier...cheap and relatively easy to install...and allows you to keep other types of ammo on board if need be...like slugs or what not.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hey MAX....How's that Nordic clamp working. Thought about swapping the OEM for that causes it's "beefier". Thanks!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

My home shotgun I like to have the 18 inch barrel, a tube extension, and sling. Thats it. No need for extra fancy stuff. Anything else you're just adding extra weight that you don't need. I like to have a synthetic stock as well.

DeltaForce.com

Something interesting you may want to look into. Bean bag rounds and the rubber ball rounds.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Like you, ATM, all I have is a hunting shotgun (I use as back-up). I took the stick I used to limit the capacity for hunting out. A shotshell is not in the chamber, but I've got 5 XX buck in the mag tube.

A home SD / riot shotgun has been one of my top three "next" buys.

For HD, I would go with a pump, I think an 18.5 ish barrel, mag extender (something to allow 8 or so shells, but not longer than the barrel). If I were to get a sling I would get one that would hold a few shells. I've seen a few HD shotguns, and I think having an attached light is the way to go. You can always choose not to use the light, but most of the time it would help to aim, identify, and even blind BG.

I think the only thing I would consider adding, that is not a must have, would be a shotshell holder.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Something interesting you may want to look into. Bean bag rounds and the rubber ball rounds.
    Less lethal is for fun and law enforcement apps. If I have to resort to a gun it needs to be a deadly force response in order to justify the gun. LTL rounds are not a proper response for a lethal confrontation, IMO.

You don't "need" a bunch of stuff hanging off the gun. Good light, maybe a better sight, ammo carrier are nice, but you don't "need" them. If you plan on holing up in a safe room and covering the door from a position of concealment or cover, you might not even need to change out the barrel. Some extended magazine tubes need a little gunsmithing done to work, depends on the model.

Some links to good 870 add-ons:

BARREL, 18", IC BEAD SIGHT, PARKERIZED at Brownells
    BARREL, 18", POLICE W/RIFLE SIGHTS, PARKERIZED, IMP CYL at Brownells
    SHOTGUN FOLLOWERS at Brownells
    SHOTGUN MAGAZINE EXTENSION at Brownells
    "SPEEDFEED" STOCK at Brownells
    RECEIVER MOUNT SHOTSHELL HOLDER at Brownells
    SHOTSHELL HOLDER at Brownells
    MAGAZINE SPRING PERFORMANCE PACKAGE at Brownells
    REMINGTON TRITIUM NIGHT SIGHTS at Brownells
    TRITIUM SHOTGUN SIGHT at Brownells
    TACTICAL SHOTGUN SIGHTS at Brownells