14" Shotguns? PICS?!

This is a discussion on 14" Shotguns? PICS?! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is some confusing information posted in this thread and I'd like to clear it up. You cannot just choose to make a shotgun into ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14" Shotguns? PICS?!

There is some confusing information posted in this thread and I'd like to clear it up.

You cannot just choose to make a shotgun into an AOW or an SBS. It can only be an AOW if it NEVER had a shoulder stock attached. This can be done 2 ways. 1. Buy a pistol grip shotgun and cut the barrel or 2. Buy a virgin receiver (this is what SERBU does).

If the gun EVER had a shoulder stock, an SBS is the only option. An SBS can have either a shoulder stock, OR a pistol grip.

The $5 transfer is only for buying an already made AOW, like from Serbu. Manufacturing an AOW is $200 tax stamp, as is manufacturing OR transferring an SBS, SBR, Suppressor, or FA.

I chose to manufacture an SBS from a used Wingmaster I found at a gun shop. It is currently sporting a 12" barrel. I upgraded some parts, refinished the whole thing.
    Pics below.

I removed the light mount, in favor of the Wilson sling mount, but this pic shows the end of the barrel area well.

I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

2. Remove Ads

So am I reading this RIGHT... the shorty in the pic below is a AOW and only requires a $5 stamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Any Other Weapon = $5 ATF Tax Stamp
    An 'AOW' shotgun is a shotgun that has 1) Barrel less than 18" _AND_ 2) a grip with no stock as in 'pistol grip'.

AOW

Source - SHOT Show 2002 - Day 3
    02PSD4ME

Thats how I understand it....I dont really have a need for a Serbu shorty, but i would like a SBS but you are looking at 200 over the cost of the SBS.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

To transfer a Serbu is a $5 stamp, however, it's like an $700 gun. If you had a little bit of skill, you could probably build one for $600, including the tax stamp. So if it's only to save $100, it's probably worth it to just buy one.
    The main things with building one yourself is cutting the magazine tube down, re-welding the barrel lug and that forend. If you had the ability to do that stuff yourself, you could build one even cheaper.
    Including the stamp, I originally had $400 in my SBS. Since then I have probably put another $100 into upgrading parts like the stock, follower, forend, front sight, magazine spring. The refinish job only cost me $10. I used ceramic header paint and my wife's oven. The only thing I am not happy with is my home engraving job, but I'm not going to sell it, so who cares. At some point I'll get it engraved professionally, but when I was ready, there was a 6 month wait at the place I wanted to get it done at.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

Correct...That is a Serbu 'Shorty' AOW...and the tax stamp fee as I stated is $5 to the BATF against a Form 4.
    I did not provide price quotes on the firearms themselves because well that should be a no brainer...and prices vary depending on where and how you source whatever be it AOW or SBS or even a DD (Destructive Device).

You can always make your own AOW by starting with a normal production pistol grip shotgun which can be found like everywhere or make your own SBS as I'd also touched on prior but again did not go into detail on as it was not germane to the OPs initial question.
    If doing so though be sure to know that you must apply and _secure_ Form 4 approval from the BATF _before_ hand and not after. Being in physical possession of an NFA firearm/device without also being in possession of a Form 4 allowing as much (SBS or AOW) is a Federal firearm law legality problem. A quite serious one.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Is there anywhere that makes factory SBS....I thought Remington made some SB 870s years ago.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You can always make your own AOW by starting with a normal production pistol grip shotgun which can be found like everywhere or make your own SBS as I'd also touched on prior but again did not go into detail on as it was not germane to the OPs initial question.
    If doing so though be sure to know that you must apply and _secure_ Form 4 approval from the BATF _before_ hand and not after. Being in physical possession of an NFA firearm/device without also being in possession of a Form 4 allowing as much (SBS or AOW) is a Federal firearm law legality problem. A quite serious one.

- Janq
    Not to split hairs, but you use a Form 1 to create and register an SBR/SBS. A Form 4 is used to receive an SBR/SBS that is already created and registered.

And yes jwhite, you can buy a Rem 870 as a factory SBR. They make them for the LEO market and what not.

Correct...But the conversation originated as purchasing which would be receiving and not creating. Thus Form 4.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Is there anywhere that makes factory SBS....I thought Remington made some SB 870s years ago.
    Mossberg and Remington.

Remington will not sell to civilians though as their SBS is through their LE/MIl arm.
    I spoke with them direct last November and at that time this was their policy. No exceptions...and only agencies couldpurchase not agents direct of an agency.

Mossberg has same policy but their distribuotrs will sell to agents of agencies/individuals if you can provide some credential of some sort. That's how I scored mine.

- Janq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links