AR's

AR's

This is a discussion on AR's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm early in the researching stage of an AR purchase. What are the fundamentals that I should know???...

Thread: AR's

AR's

I'm early in the researching stage of an AR purchase. What are the fundamentals that I should know???
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Well, here's a good start for you even if you're not in law enforcement.
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

JT
    AR-15 - AR15.COM

Just remember to use the search feature before asking questions. Otherwise, some of them can be rather rude.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    One fundamental is that not all AR-somethings are AR15s. The AR15/M16/M4 family is so common that we often equate AR with AR15, but is it not so simple.

The web is so full of information that overload is likely when looking for fundamentals, and someone who is very persuasive may actually be full of bull.

Patrick Sweeney's books are quite decent for learning the basics, and can be had from any bookseller. Another GREAT book is Kyle Lamb's book, _Green Eyes and Black Rifles_. Kyle Lamb HAS been there and done that, actually using the AR15/M16/M4 weapon system, and his book is written in plain, layman's English. Magpul has a good video on the market, with highlights from the Magpul Dynamics training course. Brownells.com is a good source for the latter two items.

One thing to keep in mind is that certain folks will tell you that some product is a MUST-HAVE item for a reliable AR15. Well, much of that is bull. Pay attention to your extractor and spring, and make sure the gas key is staked. A good local 'smith or armorer can show you these things, if a manual is not clear enough. I would rather carry a plain-Jane DPMS AR into a fight, with an extractor assembly I KNEW was good, and a properly staked gas key, than a high-dollar free-floated "custom built" AR that somebody TOLD me was put together right.

Just to be clear, to me, the AR15/M16/M4 system is just a serious tool with which to do a serious job. I don't collect them, or really like to "play" with them. When my badge leaves my chest, and goes into a shadowbox, my AR15 days may well be over, except maybe for an HBAR or SPR for long-range shooting. I like Mini-14s and lever rifles for up-close and utility purposes.
    Last edited by Rexster; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: punctuation typo

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    For good, no nonsense information check out M4carbine.net. The site is full of guys who use their weapons as a career, industry professionals, and some really knowledgeable subject matter experts. Of particular importance are the following threads:

m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642 - this thread helps you determine with AR manufacturers follow the minimum military standards for their basic M4 model.

m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397
    - this thread helps you decide which of the features from the above chart are important to you...

m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355 - that's just some general AR stickies from that website.

Enjoy the reading!
    Last edited by KevinDooley; June 4th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

+1 KevinDooley....

Check out M4Carbine.net
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    AR-15 - AR15.COM

Just remember to use the search feature before asking questions. Otherwise, some of them can be rather rude.
    +10 Everything you ever wanted to know

+1 for m4carbine.net - ar15.com is good but not near as good. Although it is huge which has some pros and cons.

Austin

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    +1 for m4carbine.net - ar15.com is good but not near as good.
    I disagree. I would take ar15.com above m4carbine.net, but to each their own.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    ar15.com has a great EE (equipment exchange). But it also has a low signal to noise ratio (lots of bad/suspect info there - and bad attitudes to boot). M4carbine.net is nearly all signal and no noise - good hard facts backed up by science and real world experience.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Sponsored Links