Price Check, Shotgun Aisle.......

This is a discussion on Price Check, Shotgun Aisle....... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had my mind made up and I was ready to buy a Mossberg 590A1 with the heavy barrel and parkerized finish. So first I ...

Thread: Price Check, Shotgun Aisle.......

Price Check, Shotgun Aisle.......

I had my mind made up and I was ready to buy a Mossberg 590A1 with the heavy barrel and parkerized finish. So first I went to Dick's at the Poughkeepsie Galleria just to see if they had any and get an idea on a price.
    They had 1 Mariner, 1 930SPX, and 2 or 3 sale item 500 models in different configurations. When I asked the clerk if he could order the gun I wanted, he didn't even know there was a model 590A1 and when I asked to hold the Mariner he told me it wasn't a Mossberg.

So I went to a local guy and he took out his book and told me that he can order the gun I want and the price is $605. I showed him right there in the store on my phone's browser that it was on Gunbroker for $409 and his reply was "Well, you know there's a $75 transfer fee if you get it that way and they never have the paperwork right" That's still more than a hundred dollars less!
    Now he calls and tells me that he can't get that gun, it's backordered but he's got a Remington 870 with the same setup and its "only" $505 coming in this week.

Now, I've been thinking about this purchase for a while so I've been researching on this and other forums and all over the internet and I realize it always comes down to these two shotguns for home defense, but I really had decided already on the Mossberg. Can anyone out there convince me that I should take the Remington?
    I realize everything is more expensive these days but is $500 just too much for an 870?

I apologize for the long post but this suddenly put me in a need to know situation since the Remington comes in Friday. Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

-AutoFX

2. Remove Ads

I think you should get the one off Gunbroker. Tranfer fees are usually only $25 in my experience. Maybe different in NY?
    Either gun is good, so whichever you can get for less would be the one to go with since the difference in quality is not enough to justify extra expense to me. It may be to you.

The 590 is more robust, unless the 870 is a police model or something. But the difference is not something that will likely ever become apparent to the user. In other words, neither is likely to break. For that matter a standard 500 is not likely to break either.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The 870 will not do you wrong. But if you are set on a Mossberg go with that. Up to you though the Remington will do you a fine job.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I love my 870, and to me $100 is $100. I would buy the one off Gunbroker though and tell your local dealer that competition is the way of business.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I love my 870, and to me $100 is $100. I would buy the one off Gunbroker though and tell your local dealer that competition is the way of business.
    +1 If they want yours they need to be willing to make a deal.

You're all absolutely right. In fact my brother in law called me this afternoon, he found a 590A1 for $449 where he lives which is about 45 minutes north of me. Well worth the drive for the savings and to get what I wanted in the first place.
    Thanks for the replies, I'll put up some pics when I bring her home.

-AutoFX

Congrats...
    Original price = $605
    New price = $449

90 minute round-trip = a savings of $1.77 for each minute in the car.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links