Stoeger Double Defense - Page 3

Stoeger Double Defense

This is a discussion on Stoeger Double Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cool gun to have I would just add a flashlight maybe a forend grip that holds a light and a shell carrier on the stock...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stoeger Double Defense

Cool gun to have
    I would just add a flashlight
    maybe a forend grip that holds a
    light and a shell carrier on the stock

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    My only comment though is that IMHO an over and under would be most proper for the task than a side by side.

- Janq
    Janq, since you mentioned it, I'm curious. Why would an O/U be better for self defense than side-by-side? I'm not trying to pick a fight, I really want to know your thoughts. All of my shotgun experience has been with a Rem. 870, or Mossberg 500.

Thanks.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Have I mentioned that we're gonna have to quit meeting like this? I wanna own one. I don't know why, but I do. I was raised on the double. As for the single trigger it's waaaaaaaaay mo betta than the double trigger for self defense with a short barreled double (normally cylinder and cylinder bore). The double trigger was used mostly in the field when the barrels were choked differently so choke could be selected by selecting the trigger. You really don't want to have to think about which trigger you've selected or have to take the time to think about changing triggers (foreign to most folks) if you don't have to. Most doubles used to be designed so that the pattern crossed at 30 yards (don't know if it's still so). When you pick a "scattergun" you got to consider the principle behind the weapon. It's designed to put out a large pattern in a short distance. With a short barreled shotgun that you want to throw a very large pattern buying a good quality shotshell usually doesn't help. The cheap promotional stuff usually throws a wider pattern. The promotional loads are usually loaded lighter and therefore kick less. Again, in my opinion, these guns are better loaded with lighter shot loaded in handloads with spreader wads and chokes to match. If you got two shots to create a maximum deterrent at very close yardage (normally 15 yards or less) and you can put a good double dose of even #8 shot in everybody facing you in every area of their anatomy from the eyes (can't attack what you can't see and it's the path to the brain with the least resistance) to the genitals (hurts me just thinking about it) I can't help but think that, unless it's the Mongol Hoardes, you're going to have some time to consider your options. Almost forgot. Pulling both triggers with a good hot load and a light shotgun will push you backward as much, if not more, than the target is pushed back. Not very conducive to getting reloaded and reaquiring the sights.

VIP Member
    But when I load a slug and buckshot, I have my choice in a quick decision situation.

All a matter of personal preference. The "problem" of double triggersi is soley a training problem, not unlike the slide rack button on the 870. It takes practice to build the muscle memory.

My double triggers work just fine for me, I don't have to think about it.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    But when I load a slug and buckshot, I have my choice in a quick decision situation.

All a matter of personal preference. The "problem" of double triggersi is soley a training problem, not unlike the slide rack button on the 870. It takes practice to build the muscle memory.

My double triggers work just fine for me, I don't have to think about it.

which trigger fires what barrel ??
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Front fires right, back fires left. I hunt double barrels and it is second nature.

Shoot 1 round of skeet and it is imprinted forever. Quicker than a selector switch and much more reliable.

Stick the Big Dot on it ( XS Sight Systems - Shotgun Sights ) and it is a quick and nimble home defense gun.

I can hit a man size target at 50 yards with a slug everytime, good enough for a home defense situation.

I carry a slug in the right (Improved cylinder) barrel and a 3" OOO buck round in the left (modified cylinder) when in wolf/bear/lion country for self defense.

For home defense I use 2 3/4" OOO buck in both barrels.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Front fires right, back fires left. I hunt double barrels and it is second nature.

Shoot 1 round of skeet and it is imprinted forever. Quicker than a selector switch and much more reliable.

Stick the Big Dot on it ( XS Sight Systems - Shotgun Sights ) and it is a quick and nimble home defense gun.
    thanx for the 411 and the link.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) has a video where he demonstrates using both a single and double (sxs) shotgun for home defense. Defensive Shotgun on Yahoo! Video

On the muzzle end of the double, Clint fashioned a home-made tactical light, using a straight body light and thick rubber bands. Here's a picture of it I captured from the video;

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I love this! As I said I grew up with the double and hunted a Fox BSE for years. The thumb safety is still my favorite. Although I had access to them I never shot the double trigger enough to be comfortable with the concept. I also like the 000 for home defense.

So, I went to Gander Mountain, they are the only Stoeger dealer around and asked if I could order one. The counter goof stammered and studdered and said whatever comes on the truck???

We order them and put out them on the shelf and they are gone in a couple of days? they never last more than a week.

So I asked when the truck comes in and he said "Mondays" I said I would like a nickle plated 12 ga. he said, we will see what comes on the truck"

Idiot, I'm going back to talk to someone with a little more knowledge than Mr. Part Time, see if i can get what I want
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Too bad. I went to local gun store today and they had a good selection of Stoegers. They even sold one to a lady while I was there, and put another up on the rack to replace it.

I went ahead and put a deposit down on a simple one; nothing "tactic-cool" - its got a black barrel, brown wood stock and grip and looks sort of like and old-school coach gun. I like the one trigger; I like the manual of arms. Its 20 gauge, which is a compromise for a couple of reasons (read below).

I'm already regretting the $50 deposit, and not sure I want the thing or that it really fits with what I'm trying to do. I need a third weapon for my house to pretty much have one within arms reach 98% of the time I'm hanging out there.

I have an XD45 which I currently consider the main HD weapon in the BR under my bed, a PM9 upstairs in the office which could double as a good concealed carry if I ever find a place in this state I can legally conceal at (that I want to be at). Both are chambered but locked in quick release gun safes - I have a kid in the house and I follow the law (both NC's and my wife's).

So the third weapon...could be another pistol and another quick-access safe, tucked under living room couch or something.

But I had another idea, call me crazy. I doubt this deep in the thread this will get noticed or I'll get opinions but here goes, my idea:

Strap the gun under the couch with velcro. Unloaded. Thats why I landed at the coach gun, cause its very small and light and loads so fast. So now to be safe I just have to control access to the ammunition. Although I don't want to carry a gun even a pocket gun all the time in my house, carrying a couple shells isn't too bad especially the smaller 20 gauge. I can also fashion some sort of elastic band to tuck them under my scrub pants/pjs etc. So then if the **** hits the fan when I'm in the living room, I grab the gun and load it; this takes perhaps two seconds longer than retrieving the XD from the titan vault.

So yeah now I've only got two rounds. But they both count, and are really just to cover our retreat to the alamo. And if I need more shots than that before I can move the one room over to my handgun safe where I'd have the XD45 + more shotty shells then I'm probably going to lose this fight anyway.

Last consideration on the coach - since my wife hates guns and won't touch them (until we are invaded) - I could hand this to her and she'd have a reasonable chance of killing a BG with it despite never having used any gun before (other reason for 20 gauge - recoil). I don't really think she could defend herself with any pistol considering she has never shot one and the pump action shotgun would just intimidate her. Obviously she won't reload; but she's got two shots. More than nothing.

I've also considered taping or resting a small shotgun shell carry pouch inconspicuously a short distance from the couch (say the top of a cabinet that I reach with a quick jump to the counter). Certainly I'll have them in both hand-gun safes; if I've got the time (cretin throwing useless bricks at my security door) obviously the ideal armament is shotty + XD45 & a 6 shot carry slide at my side.

I'm hardening the house to the extent that I really believe I'll almost certainly have at least 5 seconds before anyone can get in - quite possibly much longer, and if I'm in the living room I'm wide awake at the start of that and know they are coming.

Conflict I'm having now is why not just get mossy tacticool and keep *that* in the br in a quick-release (altough larger) safe, and put the XD w/ titan vault under the couch. Seems a lot simpler. Guess I just like the look of that coach gun ;)

I like this rig.I think they will sell a bunch to us gun nuts.
    Do I need it?? ..probly not.
    Do i want it??... You bet!!
    My Only concern is stoeger .
    Usually less than average quality.
    But I guess you get waht you pay for.
    I would put a laser on this right off..

i like the look of this gun..........i want it...........but 2 shots?? for the same price i could get something with 5+1 couldn't i? but damn it is cool looking

I think the same thing bryman lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links