Stoeger Double Defense

This is a discussion on Stoeger Double Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have absolutely no reason to have one of these, so I want one (a lot)... Stoeger Double Defense...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Double Defense

Stoeger Double Defense

I have absolutely no reason to have one of these, so I want one (a lot)...

Stoeger Double Defense
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

If nothing else it is very different and pretty bada*& looking.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I saw the press release for this several weeks ago and I have for several years wondered why the HD market was not actively marketed to by such manufacturers. Stoeger in specific has a wide range of applicable break action double guns tht would do the job handily.

My only comment though is that IMHO an over and under would be most proper for the task than a side by side.
    I do though agree with their decision to run it on a single trigger rather than dual.

Simplicity to the extreme.
    http://www.downrange.tv/artman2/publ...stry/446.shtml

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think the side by sides have a more intimidating presentation and are just a little more tacti-cool.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I have absolutely no reason to have one of these, so I want one (a lot)...

Stoeger Double Defense
    Yeah, thanks, didn't know I about these, now I want one too!!

Here's my HD gun...

Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge

I'd ditch the scope...you're never going to need it...EVER!

Had an 'expert' mellow out the weapon and now it is one fine intimidator...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I first saw that image a few days ago (sent by a friend), I thought it was photo-shopped. Turns out to be real.

I agree, if you're going to stay simple, keep it simple. I almost bought a coach gun myself; then, a thread at ShotgunWorld, gave me an idea, and I ended up with The DudeShooter (hope the pic comes through; not sure how to do that here).

Okay, good. This is a Beretta 390 sporting gun, that I ran across locally NIB for a song. 12 gauge, of course. I simply whacked it off at both ends. Fitting the LimbSaver pad to the hollow composite stock took quite a bit of effort, but the end result was more than worth it. I have T-rex arms; the 14.25" LOP that is industry standard on shotguns here is WAY too long for me. I need 12.25".

Anyway... this puppy is perfectly legal; I measured a dozen times to make sure before cutting. The barrel is 18.2", with no choke; I cut it off the old-fahioned way, with a hacksaw; dressed the muzzle with file and crocus cloth, a bit of cold blue, and voila. Using the latest Federal tactical buckshot with the Flite Control wad, I'm getting ten inch patterns at 25 yards, which is simply phenomenal for ANY shotgun. The Federal product code for this stuff is LE132 00. Worth every bit of the exhorbitant cost. The Federal H132 load is almost as good, pattern-wise.

The stub gun does surprisingly well with bear balls, too. Especially since there are no sights. I built this thing strictly for use indoors- home invader repeller, if you will- and it is PERFECT for that task; as short and handy as a coach gun/lupara, and gives me two more rounds. But I have used it at some three-gun matches, and it does amazingly well there too; only being limited by the low magazine capacity.

All in all, it was a most satisfying project for a modest investment.

Attached Images

Thanks for sharing. Interesting but think I'll keep my double "plain." I do think a small laser sight would be better, lighter.

John

I don't need the sight either.... hummm... the flashlight is a good idea.

I sure like mine.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I've always wondered what a "tacticooled" SxS shotgun would look like, now I have seen it.

It seems anything with the words "tactical" or "defense" tends to sell more than traditional wood and steel guns which in fact work just as well. I think if I ever wanted a double barrel shotgun it would be a plain looking Stoeger coach gun with wood furniture.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ..........My only comment though is that IMHO an over and under would be most proper for the task than a side by side..........
    In my limited experience with an O/U, I'd pick using a SXS. Years ago when I was doing a lot of duck hunting, I decided I needed an O/U. First trip to the blind made me realize my mistake. To clear the bottom barrel, an O/U has a much greater break angle than a SXS. In our blinds, this made reloading very awkward as I pretty much had to point the receiver straight up to get clearance for the barrels to ark downward enough to chuck the empties. Traded off the O/U after the first duck hunting trip. In a HD situation where you may be behind a barricade (couch, bed, etc.), the break angle of the O/U could create problems if a reload were necessary.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

COOL......

Love the finish..especially for a "truck gun"..but could do without the rails. MAYBE a SMALL piece below for a flashlight(MAYBE!!). Ditch the rails, keep the low-glare finish and get it under $400 MSRP and it goes in my Ford! *******You have to admit, a GREAT sales concept!!****
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

O/U have a more natural sighting plane than a SxS, but many have a design flaw that precludes (IMO) their use in defense: an inertial mechanism used to cock the O/U for the second shot.

Let me explain:
    1. Break open O/U, this cocks the firing mechanism for the first bbl/shot
    2. Load up both chambers
    3. Close O/U
    4. Fire first bbl ; the recoil cocks the firing mechanism for the second bbl
    5. Fire second bbl

Alternately, this manual of arms might go...
    1. Break open O/U, this cocks the firing mechanism for the first bbl
    2. Load up both chambers
    3. Close O/U
    4. Fire first bbl ; misfire, for whatever reason, causing little or no recoil
    5. Attempt to fire second bbl ; wonder what in tarnation is going on
    6. Remembering it is an inertial mechanism, strike the butt of hte O/U sharply on the ground, hoping that this will generate enough recoil to cock the mechanism
    7. If the Good Lord is smiling upon you, the second bbl will now fire.

----------

Another point in favor of a SxS or O/U for HD:
    Can be stored unsecured & unloaded whilst keeping 2+ shells in the same quick access safe as your handgun. This is handy for those who have kiddos, but want a long gun option for HD.
    Regards,

jfruser

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
    ----Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here's my HD gun...

Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge

I'd ditch the scope...you're never going to need it...EVER!

Had an 'expert' mellow out the weapon and now it is one fine intimidator...
    I have been looking at the Stoeger SxS defense gun, and I have to say "I GOT TO HAVE ONE" (it's a personal thing)

But what did you mean by "mellow out the weapon" ???????
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont see much need for the optics on a HD shotgun. The front bead is all you should need. I think the light is far more practical. I like the Stoeger coach guns but prefer a single "select" type trigger rather than the double trigger. Just my preferred taste.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links